It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eight U.S. troops killed in east Afghan battle

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Eight U.S. troops killed in east Afghan battle

www.reuters.com

KABUL (Reuters) - Eight U.S. troops were killed in battle after tribal militia attacked two combat outposts in a remote area in eastern Afghanistan, the military said on Sunday, the deadliest battle for U.S. troops in more than a year.

Two Afghan soldiers were also killed in the battle, which took place in a remote area from which U.S. forces had already announced plans to withdraw as part of commander General Stanley McChrystal's strategy to focus his forces on population centers.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
news.yahoo.com
www.msnbc.msn.com... _asia/

[edit on 4-10-2009 by Beefcake]

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Pretty sad that we are even still there tbh no one ever will win a war in Afghanistan yet those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it and its a shame that now that Bush is no longer President the Anti-war protests have all but disappeared.

I understand that the NWO needs to protect their Heroin crops and the Caspian Pipeline but it's a shame that the troops are the fodder for the war profiteers.

Business as usual i guess.

www.reuters.com

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 02:08 AM
link   
good good , the more the murderous american invaders die better it is .

I am fed up of USA invading the world , now hopefully Russia overthrows USA,israel and illuminati once and for all

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by sadchild01
good good , the more the murderous american invaders die better it is .

I am fed up of USA invading the world , now hopefully Russia overthrows USA,israel and illuminati once and for all

You understand that Nato is losing many troops in that country also AND you also understand that Russia is very much involved in the NWO. Sure Russia is a stubborn partner but they are still on board no doubt.

That being said the war shop stop immediately imo.

[edit on 4-10-2009 by Beefcake]

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 02:30 AM
link   
reply to post by sadchild01
It wasn't too long ago when the Russians were throwing almost everything at the Mujahedeen to try take over Afghanistan.

The Americans and Canadians learned nothing from the Russians, who learned nothing from the British, who learned nothing from the Mongols, who learned nothing from Alexander the Great, who died in Afghanistan.

Afghanistan is a graveyard for empires, always will be.

Afghanistan has never been conquered by an enemy nation in its history. Ever.

[edit on 4-10-2009 by star in a jar]

[edit on 4-10-2009 by star in a jar]

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 03:09 AM
link   
A few empires took over, briefly. But nothing unites the Afgans like a foreign force.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Well it doesn't matter anyway Victory isn't really the goal.

Obama: 'Victory' Not Necessarily Goal in Afghanistan

www.foxnews.com

President Obama has put securing Afghanistan near the top of his foreign policy agenda, but "victory" in the war-torn country isn't necessarily the United States' goal, he said Thursday in a TV interview.

"I'm always worried about using the word 'victory,' because, you know, it invokes this notion of Emperor Hirohito coming down and signing a surrender to MacArthur," Obama told ABC News.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 04:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Beefcake

And the war continues as the media still tries to justify it. This war was orchestrated just like the Iraq war, yet after 8 years people still seem to believe 9/11 had something to do with it. Get real and wake up...

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Bring'em on home, Mr. President. Be human for once and see this is just another Vietnam. I'd like to see my brother and my sister, a few friends who are all away to bloody their hands for you since you are too scared to do it. Bring'em them home. Their deaths is not some statistics. Individually, they were known by someone, loved by someone, depended on by someone. Bring'em home, Mr. President. Show some humanity or at least admit the truth of what this war is for : black gold of which the American people will never reap the benefits unless lies count as such.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 04:29 AM
link   
It's sad day for Nato and the US contingent in Afghanistan.Will are brave service members be used as cannon fodder for, yet, another foreign fishing expedition orchestrated by inept politicians? Time will tell in that regard, and lets hope we are wrong. I am on the fence about General Stanley McChrystal's new strategy about consolidating forces into urban centers? Afghanistan is a largely rural country and a big one at that! The terrain is an absolute nightmare! Mountains, valleys, deserts, and every geographical extreme imaginable.

So, the good General backs all remaining forces into the urban centers as planned, but gives insurgents free reigns to run wild in the countryside? There, the insurgents will win the hearts and minds of the disenfranchised villagers, thus, gaining more followers to their cause. In addition to having freedom to travel as they wish, virtually unchallenged. With that, they will have the ability to organize and plan assaults against forces comprised in urban centers.

It sounds like the General is going to back his forces into a corner and it will be like shooting fish in a bucket for the Taliban. I only know of two major urban centers, and that is Kabul and Kandahar, what is he really focusing on in the first place? He needs to remember Afghanistan isn't Iraq, where you have many urban centers: like Baghdad, Fallujah, Basra, Mosul, and Kirkuk. I'm no strategist, but at face value, it appears as though it is another strategic blunder by military planners, because most of the fighting has gone on in the Afghan heartland, namely, the Pashtun region.

So, as Nato tries to subdue the urban centers as General McChystal envisions, the insurgents will at the same time; continue to antagonize the efforts of their enemy. We will see more suicide bombers, kids with grenades running around, mortar attacks, and IED's scattered about making travel in the cities virtually impossible for Nato without assistance of EOD teams scanning every inch of any scheduled route. This will severely hinder efforts by Nato to maintain order, and it will most assuredly, result in another blunder. As a result, the Taliban achieves it's objective by corralling support of the Afghan heartland which is the most important objective in this battle. From there, as the US and it's allies, withdraw and regroup to retake positions in the heartland, it will already be to late; and let the bleeding begin.

Let's put things into perspective, the US and it's allies have been in country for years and yet the Afghans live in the same squalor as they had before. All the gestures made by the US/Nato have been sidetracked and forgotten. In addition, the prop up a leader, Hamid Karzai, who the country absolutely loathes for his inefficiency and collaboration with the occupiers. It was a war waged without a clear objective for a continual presence after ousting the Taliban. They had no idea how to occupy a country as large as Afghanistan and how to corral support from the various ethnic groups that are riddled throughout the country. So it doesn't matter if the west sends a million combat troops to the region, if the Afghans want you out; they will make your experience as uncomfortable and hazardous as possible. As one person in the thread has said, it is "the graveyard of Empire." The US/Nato will join the ranks of Alexander the Great, the Mongols, the British, and the Soviets of suffering costly and bitter defeats. Yet, again, history repeats itself.

[edit on 4-10-2009 by Jakes51]

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Jakes51

Unless they kill all the Afghans ^^ how many more men and women have to die for them to realize? It is just reaching beyond stupidity (slow down, have a think).

As Jakes51 stated before, there is no objectivity, WTF do they want in Afghanistan? Democracy:

Suggestion Box
Family Guy - Democracy Kicks In

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by oozyism
reply to post by Jakes51

Unless they kill all the Afghans ^^ how many more men and women have to die for them to realize? It is just reaching beyond stupidity (slow down, have a think).

As Jakes51 stated before, there is no objectivity, WTF do they want in Afghanistan? Democracy:

Suggestion Box
Family Guy - Democracy Kicks In

I agree with you and there is no clear objective for last 8 years since there has been a Western mission in Afghanistan. To press democracy on a culture that is largely tribal and governs itself as it has for thousands of years is ridiculous and naive.

This isn't post war Germany or Japan where they had a framework or idea of democratic government in place before the war. I know Germany had an authoritarian leader, but before him, they had a Republican government. With Japan, they had their representative government, the Diet, in place, although water down and lacking teeth, because of the Emperor's regard as a deity by the people; but non-the-less a stable framework to work with after the war for General MacArthur.

Afghanistan has never had any framework on the books to work with throughout it's history. The US and it's allies might as well be speaking Greek to Afghans, because they have no concept of what they are talking about when it comes to Western democratic principles and ideologies. This expedition was doomed to fail at the very onset. I wish they would sit down and think like you have said, before the flag draped coffins are shipped home in mass.

[edit on 4-10-2009 by Jakes51]

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 05:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Jakes51

They should appoint people like you as advisers to the President. It is not like I'm expecting anything from Obama but hoping. It is something we can always have. Even at the worst of times.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 05:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by oozyism
reply to post by Jakes51

They should appoint people like you as advisers to the President. It is not like I'm expecting anything from Obama but hoping. It is something we can always have. Even at the worst of times.

Yes, I agree, it is unhealthy to rule out hope in any situation. However, I am beginning to squirm after seeing what is going on in Afghanistan, and the apparent lack of directives by the new administration. I was hoping a fresh set of eyes would have helped, but at present, it seems to be getting worse than before better. Our salesmanship and marketing skills could use a kick it the teeth, because they aren't gaining headway with our customers the Afghan people. I haven't ruled out hope though. Lets hope President Barack Obama isn't this generations' LBJ.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Obama said in a interview: Vining the war in Afghanistan might not be the real objective.
Wouldn't it be nice to know what the real objectives are that every soldier is willing to die for?

Right now soldiers are fighting a cause they have no knowledge of. I for one wouldn't want to fight for a cause i have no knowledge of.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Wow, has everyone forgotten 9/11 ever happened? I say this much, if we do not win in Afghanistan, 9/11 will become a sure-fire victory for the terrorists.

Cut-and-run from Iraq is acceptable in my view, although not recommended. Cut-and-run from Afghanistan is completely unacceptable. If we lose in Afghanistan, then 3,000 people died for absolutely nothing.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by sweatmonicaIdo

So why do you think Obama isn't concerned with a win.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by sweatmonicaIdo

Obama himself said that victory is not the objective in afghanistan so therefore wouldnt that already mean the 3,000 people died for nothing?

besides, those 3,000 people didnt die for nothing, look how much the NWO have furthered there agenda because of it. they have tightened the noose around our necks considerably.. i mean the guy sat there and finished reading the book to the llil children while all of that was going on!!! cmon.. you cant still believe in the good guy-bad guy facade. we employed al-qaeda and the taliban right up until 9/11, we fund the taliban now, osama and zawahiri are alive still becasue we let them live... they are agents of the new world order... terrorism is the door which the nwo will come out of.

if you think about whats goin on right now you might say we invaded afghanistan and iraq just to get at iran.. we surround them, no wonder they are rushing to build the bomb.. they feel threatened by us.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I don't see why we need boots on the ground in either Iraq or Afghanistan. There is no other reason than to fill the pockets of the bankers making us pay for this war.

I say we just nuke any country that has people that are willing and succeed in hurting our country. Other than that leave them alone, leave them to their barbarian lifestyles... Why is that so hard? Just let them kill each other if they want to. Their people need to change their countries, not us. We have enough to change in this country.

As far as 9/11, we have had some major payback in both places. If they try it again then I say we let the nuke genie out of the bottle...

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   
"I say we just nuke any country that has people that are willing and succeed in hurting our country. As far as 9/11, we have had some major payback in both places. If they try it again then I say we let the nuke genie out of the bottle..."

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. Let's invade and/or nuke Afhganistan and Iraq because, according to the "official story", all of the 19 hijackers were from Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates and Lebanon. What the hell, these people (even the innocent ones) are just a bunch of "Barbarians" whose life has no value to us Westerners because we are way above them on the food chain due to our SUVS and satellite tv.

Don't mean to wake up anybody from their prolonged euphoric slumber, but there are some out there who have alleged the Afghani invasion was planned and decided upon before the events of 9/11/01.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Yeah, I find this story incredibly difficult to believe since I did not see it in the American mainstream media, which is obviously hell bent on uncovering and providing the American public with the unbiased truth.

[edit on 4-10-2009 by SphinxMontreal]

[edit on 4-10-2009 by SphinxMontreal]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join