It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida cop attempts drive-by Tasering, runs over suspect

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
they should do more than just suspending........

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Ufokrazy

Yeah, public flogging and then imprisonment for at least 20 years just to serve as an example.

That's just what I say to get past the automatic filters. I'm sure I could personally find better things for the pig responsible.

This is why so many people hate cops.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   
What do we learn from this?

Don't taze and drive.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Thought id add this video here.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by ugie1028

Thanks for adding the video .

Very very sad what happened to the boy I just hope this cop gets what he deserves

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Cops use to give chase on foot but it seems most are not willing to break a sweat these days. For some odd reason a government check makes people lazy. I just can't put my finger on it. It might be part psychological.

[edit on 4-10-2009 by cloakndagger]

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 05:15 PM
link   
What an idiot! Did he think he was in a Hollywood movie and he would look all cool tasing from the car?! He should be fired and charged. He was extremely careless! The guy was on a bike for heavens sake get out and run!

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by newworld
However, before everyone starts stereotyping all cops saying they are evil, brutes, idiots, etc. don't forget that the majority of cops try to uphold the law.

It only takes a few "bad apples" to spoil the bunch.

Originally posted by ziggy1706
Its nice to know (barfs) that if a citizen did this, they would have earned the status of murderer...if the citizen is wearing a state or city approved badge* its s misdimenor

Cops need to be held to a "higher" standard.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Textbook. The training at the academy went over this type of scenario, no pun intended. Next time he should try throwing a broom through the spokes, or throw a police dog at the fleeing suspect, now that's professionalism.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   
This guy wasn't a cop, he's a Paid Terrorist! This cop should know you can't Text Message, operate a Taser and drive a Car at the same time, the lawyers are gonna make some easy money on this one. Maybe these cops should start undergoing a mental evaluation to see if they are fit to even drive a car.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Cop was following the guy in his car.

Dunno if any of y'all have tried to chase down someone on a bike, but part of the appeal of 'em is they go faster than most folks can run.

He tried to taser him to get him to stop, fell of the bike, and got ran ove.r
Cop was riding much to close to the guy.

Reminds me of when a cop pulled me over on my bike heading home, wonder what would have happened if I'd have kept going.

I know a lot of cops, I live in Florida myself.
Most of the ones I know are decent guys.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by RuneSpider

The cop should have had the patience to just keep following the guy on the bike. It's not like he was going to speed off and get away. Instead of having patience, the cop did something incredibly stupid and ended up killing someone because of it.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by RuneSpider
Cop was following the guy in his car.

I know a lot of cops, I live in Florida myself.
Most of the ones I know are decent guys.

This is a really tired little excuse for behavior.

I live in NY and I know a lot of cops. Most of the ones I know are on trial or in jail. Google Greece, NY corrupt cops sometime. You know some, I know some, we all know some. That in no way excuses running over a guy on a bike and killing him because you tried to tazer him from a moving vehicle.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Lillydale

I am neither excusing the cop, or his actions. Far from it, I think he was an idiot.

I am saying, however, I know several cops.Most of 'em are decent.

But for that matter, this cop could have been decent. Still was a idiot. And his idiocy got someone killed.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   
This kind of thing should fall into the realm of vehicular manslaughter. I am aware of no police procedure that entails shooting a taser from a moving vehicle for the crime of riding your bike. And then running over said "suspect".

Was the defendant under arrest? If not, then he was simply riding a bike. Was he told to stop? Perhaps, but may have been listening to an mp3 player and been unaware. Or he might have simply been afraid of stopping for the cop. We will never know because he's dead.

This isn't a case of a bad apple, this is a case of a complete moron with a badge. Did the policeman not have a radio? Was he not in a vehicle that could easily have got ahead of said bicyclist? Ever heard of a PIT maneuver?

A taser is supposed to subdue a violent offender in a fashion that maintains the security of the police and bystanders. In this case it was neither required nor used in accordance to it's intended purpose.

The policeman should be treated as any other citizen in this situation and fry.
Well, time for the badge kissers to come out and completely derail this thread.

..Ex

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I personally know corrupt cops as well. Being in a smaller town though, it goes by and nobody really hears about it and I'm sure no cop will be brought to justice here unless they do something especially stupid. Like one was put on leave not too long ago for driving his cop car drunk in a different county than his jurisdiction, but I don't think he was fired.

The point is, the system is totally broke. The only people watching the cops, are the cops themselves, and they get along so well with each other, all buddies, that they can't even stand to fire a fellow officer when they get so far out of line.

I can just imagine what it's like in NY. I've seen American Gangster, and those stats at the end of the movie were crazy.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   
FYI... this is PPD. Many years ago, I worked as Navy Police on Pensacola NAS... basically my duty was to go retrieve wayward sailors from the county jail. I've had occasion to be on site at the local clubs with Law Enforcement. There is definately a different mentality between the Local Sheriff's department and the PPD. The PPD seemed to really relish the adrenaline rush while doing their job. It seems that more were injured when PPD made an apprehension than anybody else. But that's just my impression from 20 years ago.

A Pensacola police officer was placed on administrative leave Saturday after his cruiser ran over and killed a young man in Brownsville.

Pensacola Police Department Chief John Mathis said Officer Jerald Ard, 35, had been placed on administrative leave pending results of an investigation by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement.

"It's obviously a very tragic and unfortunate incident.” Mathis said “My heart goes out to the subject in this case and his family we’ll just have to see how this plays out."

Ard saw a suspicious man at a construction site about 1:50 a.m. Saturday while he was on routine patrol near Cervantes and T Streets, a police department news release said.

The man left the scene a bicycle and Ard pursued, attempting to stop him by using verbal commands and his vehicle's blue lights, the release said.

The officer also tried shock the fleeing with a Taser stun gun, according to the release. After the Taser was fired, the man turned into the parking lot of a vacant business near R street, crashed has bicycle, and was run over by pursuing police car, according to the release.

The man, who remained unidentified Saturday evening was pinned beneath the car and late pronounced dead at the scene.

Page 1A - Pensacola New Journal Oct 4, 2009

Google Map of Area

Edit Add: This is also a city were the local Sheriff Department's process servers have been ticketed for illegal parking by the City... while serving the warrant.

Dunno if they ever worked that out.

[edit on 4-10-2009 by RoofMonkey]

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by RuneSpider
reply to post by Lillydale

I am neither excusing the cop, or his actions. Far from it, I think he was an idiot.

I am saying, however, I know several cops.Most of 'em are decent.

Then what is your point? The thread title is not "all cops bad." The point is though that people with deadly weapons and the authority to use them should have to have some brains and some proper training. Either bad police let a moron have a gun and badge or suddenly became very stupid. When you can kill people and call it an accident just because of the car you were driving at the time, you should be held to a higher standard. I truly hope that they have finally removed that question off of the initial app. that reads "Does Rune Spider know any good cops?" I am sure we all know good cops somewhere. What is the point?

But for that matter, this cop could have been decent. Still was a idiot. And his idiocy got someone killed.
How could he have been decent? Does he sound like the kind of guy that you would hand the weapons and authority to take a life with? A decent cop is not just an honest one but one with the sense not to kill people for riding their bike.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 06:58 PM
link   
The poor kid hadn't even committed a crime aside from looking suspicious. Someone needs to take these tasers away from these idiots.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Does this really suprise anyone? it is florida, the cops there for the large part are pretty corrupt. How many stories do we read about bad cops? Then take that number and look at all the ones that include florida cops. Florida cops are bad mmkay.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join