It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Hawking Gives Up Academic Title

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Hawking gives up academic title

Professor Stephen Hawking has given up a prestigious academic title.

The physicist, who has motor neurone disease, is completing his last day as Cambridge University's Lucasian Professor of Mathematics.

The university said it was policy for holders of the title to retire at 67 and Prof Hawking was 67 in January.

Prof Hawking, who is one of the world's leading cosmologists, will continue working at the university and a new Lucasian Professor will be appointed.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Sad that Mr. Hawking has to give up something because of age, he has been a light at Cambridge, not the other way around, we have been blessed to have him so long and sure he will be here for a long time to come.

Mod Edit: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 4/10/2009 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

I disagree.

Do you know how lucky this guy is that it is age that is forcing him to give up?

I never had much respect for the guy, but he is lucky to have lived this long.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Its just a title, he will still be working there and I'm sure he will continue to lecture.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 11:53 PM
link   
If the John Titor Story is a hoax... he is the only man that could be responsible... I say this as a believer in the story with an open enough mind to allow for the possibility.

Hawking has always had my respect... interesting man.... Did you all know he is a member of the Knights of Malta?

Tis true....

I did my research on him when seeking Titor....Before I stopped... I keep referencing my name sake because my name sake mentioned him....And I was interested in him before I knew about my name sake....

Hawking great man.... Has a few kids... and few ex wives.... He did not always live in that chair......

Interesting man...

May his legacy be magnificent.

And may he one day train his computer voice with an English accent.

[edit on 3-10-2009 by titorite]

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by jd140

Its just a title, he will still be working there and I'm sure he will continue to lecture.

Yeah what JD said.

He's not dead yet.

He's still gonna be the same hawking, i'm pretty sure.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Miraj

I disagree.

Do you know how lucky this guy is that it is age that is forcing him to give up?

I never had much respect for the guy, but he is lucky to have lived this long.

Why would you not respect him?

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Thanks for your comments, know is not dead yet and will continue his work, my respect for him is deep, amazing contributions to science and he never let his illness get in the way.

[edit on 4-10-2009 by Aquarius1]

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 12:13 AM
link   
it's no big deal that he gives up his title. He will keep working at the university still. However, the day he dies will be a very sad day indeed. He could be considered the genius of our current era.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Miraj

Your post just makes me say
???

I mean, yeah he's lucky to have lived this long, but what about him makes you not respect him?

I mean, do you just not believe in physics?

On a related note, I thought this would be appropriate.

In case that embed doesn't work
www.youtube.com...

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by mkross1983

It's his elitist attitude that lost my respect for him.

Im sure he's done plenty for physics, but that doesn't mean I have to respect him.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Dr. Hawking, 67 is the 19th prime number, and 19 is the 8th prime number. If 19=S and 8=H due to the alphabetical order, can Your Academic Brightness figure out what the initials S.H. stand for?

Let me see . . . Silbury Hill?

That's formally correct, Dr. Hawking. (
)

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 02:20 AM
link   
I am an up and coming scientist and I can say that I don't really care for certain theoretical physics Hawkings has produced. Time is beginning to tell that the big bang never happened as he postulated. I believe that the physics is very flawed because something tells me that there is a flaw in relativity of which the big bang theory was derived.

I believe that the secrets of the beginning of the Universe and its very existence lies in a yet undefined quantum theory. I am refering to string theory but my version is different than all of the other theories currently presented. I will publish my theory in the next five years and until then the world must wait.

I am a very different scientist though because I see the world so differently than any other man. I don't go out to base my science on widely held beliefs, but instead I like to look at all of the overlooked evidence and unnoticed factors. I also interpret information from a completely different viewpoint that cannot be called wrong, in fact in school I would always have to explain my answers to my teacher in order to get my scores changed.

I believe that mainstream science needs to practice original thoughts and ideas like they did at the turn of the last century (1900's). Those guys made a lot of real discoveries because they were open minded.
I have always thought of Hawkings as another mainstream scientist who holds hard to obsolete views.

Just my ten cents.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Sad that Mr. Hawking has to give up something because of age, he has been a light at Cambridge, not the other way around, we have been blessed to have him so long and sure he will be here for a long time to come.

It's worse than "sad", it's downright ridiculous. Except in cases where a person is going senile (because of a disease), I don't think people should be considered somehow "unfit" because of the number of years they've lived.
And when these people are professors, educators, it's even more ridiculous!
What happened to *experience*?
That's one thing you can't compensate with anything else.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Angel One
I am an up and coming scientist and I can say that I don't really care for certain theoretical physics Hawkings has produced. Time is beginning to tell that the big bang never happened as he postulated.

I believe that mainstream science needs to practice original thoughts and ideas like they did at the turn of the last century (1900's). Those guys made a lot of real discoveries because they were open minded.

Oh, they were the most illuminating times and open-minded enough to accept theories developed by the members of the Roman Catholic Church.

Monsignor Georges Henri Joseph Édouard Lemaître (July 17, 1894 – June 20, 1966) was a Belgian Roman Catholic priest, honorary prelate, professor of physics and astronomer at the Catholic University of Leuven. He sometimes used the title Abbé or Monseigneur.

Lemaître proposed what became known as the Big Bang theory of the origin of the Universe, which he called his 'hypothesis of the primeval atom'.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Anybody who is unable to respect Stephen Hawking probably lacks the capacity to respect anyone, and/or has deviant values.

He represents astounding brilliance, courage, and perseverence.

An Icon in his field, and a living legend.

[edit on 10/4/0909 by ladyinwaiting]

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by titorite

Don't be ridiculous.

I've met the man he can barely do anything anymore, he spends almost all his time in deep thought, he requires constant supervision and care.

He will still be working for the university, and will be a highly respected member of the community around here long after he dies.

No one is saying he is unfit, if anything the University let him stay on in the position BEYOND what is norm for people over the last 800 years in Cambridge. He knows its the right thing to do, so he is stepping down. When he gives lectures (rarely) you can bet your arse it will still be as packed as ever.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Angel One
I am an up and coming scientist and I can say that I don't really care for certain theoretical physics Hawkings has produced. Time is beginning to tell that the big bang never happened as he postulated. I believe that the physics is very flawed because something tells me that there is a flaw in relativity of which the big bang theory was derived.

I am agreement with you Angel One, what do you think about a creative intelligence? Michio Kaku also believes in the Big Bang "Theory" as do most scientist. Have noticed that when they talk about the Big Bang now they leave out theory like it's a given.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Thank you ladyinwaiting.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by gYvMessanger

Ridiculous? In what way? Him being a knight of Malta? Him not always being confined to that chair? Him having children and a two ex wives?

Or my theory that If John Titor is a hoax (Which I do not believe) that Hawking is the only one that meets all the intellectual requirements and has the sense of humor to do such a thing...

I imagine Hawking spends a fair amount of time on the net. Its not like he can go party in the streets painting the town red. At least online he can be as anonymous as the next person.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
So, Stephen Hawking is now Larry Haber? I don't want to go there.

I admire him greatly. He has helped to make the abstractions of quantum cosmological physics accessible to a vast population. It doesn't take a title for him to continue to be appreciated.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join