It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scholars study Springsteen during weekend event (AP)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   
I just came across this article that I found to be very interesting indeed. You see, I am a big Bruce Springsteen fan. I love the music and I love the lyrics. This had me excited because I always thought to myself that there was something else going on with that music that people were missing. It was way too personal to me for it to just be a song. Do you know what I mean?

My friends want nothing to do with Bruce at all. Not many people really do like his stuff. For me, I get to a point where I could see things going on in my past that this guy knew all about. It's like he was reading my mind at the time and was able to articulate those things that I could not. How else could I put it? He knew what I was feeling? It isn't only the song I want to dissect in this thread either. Bruce seems to have had this effect on me with other pieces as well.

Anyway the song I want to start with is called Candys Room. There was a time in my life when this was actually going on with me. The song itself is awesome. The lyrics are incredible and I could break them down moment by moment. I am telling you, this guy must have been there. First check out the song. It is short and powerful. Then I'll break down the lyrics as to why I think this relates to my past situation. The article can be found here. The video is below.

Here are the lyrics. Check it out. It could be that many young men have had similar experiences but that it why I started this thread. Tell me if it relates to you as well.

In Candy's room, there are pictures of her heroes on the wall, but to get to Candy's room, you gotta walk the darkness of Candys hall,

There was a drop dead gorgeous girl that I somehow managed to get the attention of. She was intense. I had no idea how I could end up being so lucky, but hey here I was. I played it cool. We talked on the phone a lot and I kinda felt that I was out of my league to be honest. She hung out with much older people and was exposed to stuff that I could never dream of at the time. She did a lot of partying.

She invited me to her house one day when her parents were on vacation. I was young, just out of High School and so was she, but I'll never forget when she brought me to her room. There were posters of Bon Jovi and other bands and male models. Just a lot of pictures of guys. Famous guys let's say. I truly felt as if I was walking in the darkness of Candy's halls. I was seeing her darkness if you will, or what she was in to. There were a lot of posters. Her name wasn't Candy by the way.

Strangers from the city, call my babys number and they bring her toys, When I come knocking, she smiles pretty, she knows I wanna be Candys boy,

As our relationship grew, I kind of noticed things. She had friends. A lot more friends than me. People I didn't know. People from who knew where. I knew this and went with it. There were guys that would bring her flowers and other stuff. I played it cool. I laughed about it to her, but inside I was screaming.

She knew it. She knew I wanted to be Candy's boy, but it all depended on how I acted toward such stuff. I was different for sure. I didn't bring her anything. I was just there and I was cool. I was cool with anything Candy wanted. I acted as if I really could care less, but man I was in love.

Theres a sadness hidden in that pretty face, a sadness all her own, from which no man can keep Candy safe.

I knew there was no one that else that cared for her the way I did. I could see it in her face and she knew it. There was something else driving her and me though. What that is, I don't know. It was almost like we knew that she had to go and I had to go. I don't know to this day what it was.

We kiss, my hearts pumpin to my brain the blood rushes in my veins, when I touch Candys lips, We go driving, driving deep into the night, I go driving deep into the light, in Candys eyes.

It was just like that when we kissed. We would take trips into the country and drive for hours. Savoring those few precious moments. It was almost like we knew they wouldn't last.

She says, Baby if you wanna be wild, you got a lot to learn, close your eyes, Let them melt, let them fire, let them burn Cause in the darkness, therell be hidden worlds that shine, When I hold Candy close she makes the hidden worlds mine,

She would actually tell me at times that I had a lot to learn. When I talked about the future. But when we were together I could feel those hidden worlds that were Candy's and I knew they weren't mine. I knew they couldn't be mine.

She has fancy clothes and diamond rings, She has men who give her anything she wants, but they dont see, That what she wants is me,

The blue fox coats. The rings and jewelery that were bestowed upon this girl by other much wealthier men were staggering. I wanted to tell them that I knew what she really wanted. I wanted to tell them that their efforts were useless, but Candy and me had to play the game didn't we?

Oh, and I want her so, Ill never let her go, no, no, no She knows that Id give all that I got to give, All that I want, all that I live, to make Candy mine Tonight

Haunts me to this day but its just a fond memory. I often wonder what happened to Candy. Where she is, who she's with. Who knows? This song though makes me relive it every time I hear it.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 10:41 PM
link   
i like the boss.
my favorite song is probably rosie..
his new one workin on a dream is a good one too

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by thing fish

Rosalita? I love it. I am telling you there is something much deeper in most of his lyrics. At least that is what I feel. I mean, I am not a wingnut who will find meaning in his stuff but I really feel like he hits on a lot of things.

Like Backstreets. Can you relate to this song by Bruce? It takes me right back to my younger days and tells the story. I can't really elaborate on it fully but I know someone else must be able to relate to his stuff.

His new one, I must admit I know nothing about. Although I'm sure I will check it out. Never mind I found it. We can check it out together.

[edit on 3-10-2009 by jackflap]

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 11:05 PM
link   
A few problems with the first link. I edited it and got a better one with the lyrics. Even this one being new kinda hits on those feelings. I mean, don't get me wrong I do like it. His older stuff like Rosalita, Backstreets, She's the one. I really like. The newer stuff. I do like it but that older stuff you just can't hold a candle to. His newer stuff will have a place I'm sure. He is a lyrical genius.

[edit on 3-10-2009 by jackflap]

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 11:24 PM
link   
you know why he is called the boss?
the band members used to go up to hi and ask for 'their pay boss'
bruce owns. he's a mans man and he plays the telecaster like a mofo.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by thing fish

You ever listen to Sandy? When all those stoned out faces were gazing at the fireworks on the boardwalk? Or when in Spirits In The Night when Crazy Jane and her Mission Man were back in the alley trading hands that there was an underlying message? Could you see it? Tell me you could. You'd make my millennium.

top topics

join