It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Military chopper lands for burgers

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 08:26 PM
link   

A Canadian military helicopter pilot with a sudden hankering for hamburgers set his aircraft down on a Kenora, Ont., baseball diamond, and walked into an A&W restaurant across the street for a takeout order. "He ordered four papa burgers with cheese combos and two papa burgers on the side," server Stacey Hawes told CBC News on Thursday.

CBC News
I thought this little humorous story could maybe be used here on ATS to lighten the mood for a bit. (I wasn't sure if I should put this in Government and Military projects
)
I thought it ties in with current affairs, especially the G20 meeting in Pittsburgh that has caused quite a curfluffel regarding military and law enforcement. I think a lot of Americans are feeling more and more like they are being oppressed by those who's initial jobs were to protect them, doing to opposite of what they were supposed to. There is obviously room to justify this thinking.
But here in Canada, I don't think we have this problem. In fact, I think as Canadians we feel detached from the Military itself and feel as if we are not related to the organization at all. I think it may have to do with our mentality that our military is not a super power in comparison with that across the boarder. But really, I think it is ill-placed and misconceived.

Anyways, I just thought this was a cool story showing that Military personal (at least in Canada) are humans with needs like the rest of us too. Sure, you can argue that it's a waste of tax payers dollars, but I think it was a harmless act and something that maybe shows they are just as human as we are in most cases. I wouldn't mind eating a burger a thousand feet up in the air.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Factor in the cost of jet fuel those were some expensive burgers, lol. Perhaps he should have phoned his order in and then lowered his SAR basket over the side to pick it up.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

Yea, but then wouldn't he consume just as much fuel hovering there as opposed to landing, turning it off, going inside, then coming back out and powering it up again and taking off? Either way, I wish I would of been there to see it haha.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Yea, but then wouldn't he consume just as much fuel hovering there as opposed to landing, turning it off, going inside, then coming back out and powering it up again and taking off?

No doubt it would, but in this case coolness factor trumps fuel conservation.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

Yea and imagine being the A&W employee who gets to tell that story to their friends the next day at school. That would probably be the most bad-ass moment of their fast-food career.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 08:58 PM
link   

"He ordered four papa burgers with cheese combos and two papa burgers on the side,"

I hope he had a flight crew with him, because DAMN....

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   
It would have been better if he had taken off with the food, then came back, landed, went inside and angrily said "I said NO PICKLES"

[edit on 3-10-2009 by Walkswithfish]

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Yea or just ice the restaurant with it's 7.62 minigun from above in spite of the order screw up!

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I wonder if he learned the number one rule of Fast Food:

They always screw you at the drive through!!!

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Ok, wait a minute, Canada has helicopters?

That's just weird.

Just as freaky as when I found out that Mexico has fighter jets.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by For(Home)Country

That was no burger joint; its actually a government sanctioned 'Solient green' facility.
Why else would the military be involved?

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 09:50 PM
link   

I had no idea that an auto gyro could land in that small a space.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   
They stopped for fuel at the airport were there was no place to eat.I guess they hoped over to the empty ball field and went across the street and got some burgers to go.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 11:13 PM
link   
It would be kind of hard to fly the helicopter and eat at the same time. I'm pretty sure you need one hand on the stick and one on the collective. I hope they don't get in too much trouble. I like their moxie!

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Sounds about rite. Love those Canadians. They landed a chopper on the road at the border crossing to pick a few of us up and fly ahead to get things set up. When all the civilians saw this it caused pandamonium. They thought it was some sort of raid and started pulling everything they thought might be illegal out of there vehicles. Traffic flowed easily across the border till that point!

Ever witnessed mobile bar with coolers like a liquere store? Join the Canadian Army...

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Yea the Canadian Military is pretty awesome. I think allowing this kind of thing to happen in upper brass would be a good thing because it would let the soldiers feel as if they could once-in a while act like individuals, and not just machines. Now, I know the military is all about being like a machine and having to follow strict orders and guidelines, but I think some sense of being your own person while being in service would improve morale.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Pfft...

That doesn't have anything on this story:

What the helicopter pilot cannot do in that situation - and this is what makes our department different from the Albuquerque (N.M.) Police Department - is this: Zoom past the bear, land the copter next to the nearest Krispy Kreme doughnut shop, dash in, get a dozen, run back to the copter and then, with startled taxpayers gathered around in disbelief, give a toot on the helicopter siren as you lift off to continue fighting crime.

All of that actually happened Oct. 4 in Albuquerque.

Witnesses said the copter swooped in, circled once and landed in a dirt field near the doughnut shop. As the pilot kept the chopper running, an officer jumped out, ran - I'm guessing "waddled" would be a better description - to the shop and returned with a box of Krispy Kremes.

findarticles.com...

Ahhh, yes.... I remember like it was yesterday... Fat sack of crap LEO's airlifting sugar coated fat bombs... My tax dollars (yes mine) well spent...

Just goes to show you...

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 12:30 AM
link   
I am going to flag this not because it was the right thing to do but because I may know as to why they did it.

I myself belong to the Canadian military and after being away for a prolonged time it is nice to have our Canadian Tim Horton's coffee, but sometimes that isn't feasible. However a hamburger whether be from A&W, McDonald's or any other fast food restaurant is always welcome!

So, yes...it may be wrong but in the end it is good!

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by TheEnlightenedOne

Yea but see, I wouldn't go as far as to say it was wrong. I'm sure he'll get a stern talking to from his superior when he gets back to base or they find out what happened, but I think, like I said before, it gives the pilot and anyone else who witnesses this a sense of individualism in a good way. Sure, he did something a little silly, but it probably added a little thrill to his job that any other individual would take for granted any day (ie going to get a burger). I personally hope he doesn't get in too much trouble for this because if he doesn't, I think it shows that the military can allow some leniency in the appropriate manner. Kenora isn't exactly a battlefield right now. Not yet...

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Would that be gravy on the fries sir? Now if it was Mac D's, would you like to super size? What a cool story, gives a whole new meaning to drop in for some burgers and fries.

Thanks OP for this story.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join