It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nigeria : 71 people dead , 750 lying critically ill from unknown disease.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 06:46 AM
link   
The option to drink unclean water is to boil it. Everybody can do that.

Forget the cholera-weapons-stuff.

Nobody needs to die from cholera. Third world countries would be handing
out a mixture of salts to stop the diarrhoea.

I have in my possession a little package from Nepal and tried its contents in
a glass of water 2 decades ago.

Without this I would just add 8 spoons of salt and one spoon of sugar to
one liter of water to bind the exhausting minerals in the body.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Udo Hohnekamp Lux.

Boiling doesn't make water safe. It doesn't kill ALL bacteria and in some cases can release toxins.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Cholera is not amazingly difficult to treat and people in Africa have been dealing with it for 100's of years. If this was a simple outbreak of a known curable disease then the Authorities would have gotten control of the situation by now. I'm very surprised at some of the peoples comments suggesting people in Africa are so uneducated they don't know that drinking unclean water will kill them. If this was the case there just wouldn't be any people left in Africa by now. Yes the place is a mess and yes there is poor sanitation and water supply but these people cope with this EVERY day of their lives. So when they say this is a strange disease that they cant identify then we had better pay attention!

We will have to wait to see the results of the testing from the US and France before we go dismissing this as not being a big problem.

[edit on 4-10-2009 by VitalOverdose]

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a bit off subject but this is a nifty way of water filtering

www.ted.com...

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Here's an updated article from NEXT:

Four people have been reported dead from what is suspected to be cholera in Madube village of Gwoza Local Council of Borno State.

The disease was said to have spread from neighbouring Adamawa State, with Madube as the closest village in Borno State to Adamawa’s communities.

About 80 lives have been lost in the epidemic that has swept through seven of the 21 local councils in Adamawa State in the past two months, especially in the northern part of the state.

The Adamawa State commissioner of information, Musa Bubakari Kamale, recently said the outbreak of the disease had also afflicted 934 persons, with Mubi North Local Council - where 22 persons were confirmed dead - Fufore, Hong, Mubi South, Michika, Madagali worst hit.

Mr. Abbas also explained that the council has invited officials of the World Health Organisation to take specimen of the virus to the University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital for confirmation.

When NEXT visited Gwoza General Hospital, women and children affected by the disease were seen lying down on the floor in an isolation room.

One of the victims, Fatima Ibrahim, said the illness started with stomach pains, which later resulted in vomiting and passing of uncontrollable stool.

Most of the other patients who spoke to NEXT complained about the source of their drinking water, attributing the outbreak to water contamination.

234next.com...

So as I suspected it's not a mystery illness, it's just not confirmed as cholera yet but the patient statements and symptoms point to it being cholera.

As mentioned these outbreaks happen from time to time.

[Soapbox]

I don't know what all the fuss is about!

Maybe those who believe their government is trying to 'depopulate' them should go spend some time in a country like Nigeria, where everything ISN'T taken for granted and your drinking water could actually kill you.

I mean honestly, you people complain about fluoride in your water supply, yeah it probably doesn't need to be there but it's nothing compared to the quality of water in third world countries where it could potentially have raw sewerage, fertilizers, insecticides, herbicides and god knows what else in it.

Sad state of affairs indeed.

[/Soapbox]

[edit on 4/10/09 by Chadwickus]

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Thats sounding a bit more positive
Lets hope thats all it turns out to be.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by kyred
Why so much terrible things come from Africa? Killer bees. West Nile Virus. AIDS from Green Monkey tails. Ebola.

WTF? Is that continent the source of all this or a playground for microbiologists terrorists?

Or, maybe, should we should all just let nature take its course on that continent?

The title of Dark Continent seems fitting to me.

What exactly are you trying to say here? I'm puzzled?

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Nichiren

I think he was trying to understand why Africa is always at the forefront of infectious diseases and other epidemics. The complete answer may be unknown, but poverty, over population, no education, little to no clean water, little to no clean food, little to no sanitation, horrible to non-existent health care are all factors which would allow a population to be so prone to disease and death. I remember watching something a while back where they pretty much put Africa in perspective by claiming it was a new-world concentration camp. I can see where this quote is coming from, as it seems Africa has been just that for as long as most anyone can remember. Making the situation worse is the fact that militias and "bullies" raise armies to gain control of what little resources there are, making life suck that much worse for anyone who is a decent human living in the affected areas.
I don't think we (the 1st world) have been doing anything BUT leaving them to their own, if anything, we have been making the situation worse overall by meddling and taking advantage of the population while they are down and out.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Why should I assume that Nigeria has terrible drinking water because it is over populated? It takes civilization to build water treatment plants. It takes many working people to support the infrastructure of a civilized society. The people who want to reduce the population back to what it was during the renaissance have no idea how primitive and barbaric life was at that time. Modern Nigerians have a better standard of life than that of the renaissance Europeans. Our improved standard of living is not the result of depopulation or selective breeding.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by VirginiaGreen

Africa and Siberia/Mongolia both have hot zones. These are areas where diseases originate. Sun spot cycles are related to viruses emerging from these areas. The hot spots have played a pivotal role in the evolution of mankind and continue to do so. Even with the best modern technology and a great standard of living, Africa might still be a good place to catch a virus or a disease.

[edit on 4-10-2009 by eradown]

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by intelior1901

Well, since no one else decided to jam you up, I guess I will. Could you please tell me the name of the professor you were working with. What institution he was from? Also one more thing, could you tell me where you found the box at?

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Oh yay, they just had to bring it to the united states. Not like there isn't enough tension about the h1n1. I still believe the h1n1 isn't going to be as bad as they say it is.

Let's bring this baby over, release it in the US accidentally or intentionally, and blame it on the h1n1. Of course the vaccine cures this one right? Maybe they were planning on it's release all the while hyping up the h1n1, so they would have an excuse to create the vaccine for this other disease.

Why does it seem like most unknown deadly diseases come from that area?

Trust no one.

There is probably another way to spin this for conspiracy. Who knows if I hit on the truth or not. I wouldn't put it past a mad scientist governmental or not creating it in a lab somewhere in the area.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by eradown

I've never read anything concerning a correlation between sunspots and disease "hot spots" in Africa. As always I keep an open mind, but please give me some links (I will try searching).

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 04:42 AM
link   
reply to post by VitalOverdose

Oh friggin great, more "fear" is being unleashed in the vast laboratory known as Africa. Those people over there never get a break from the meddling of the evil megalomaniacs..ever! Just a matter of time before the experiment is perfected and unleashed on other countries. Man I hate megalomaniacs, cool word but its meaning is downright rotten.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by VirginiaGreen

You need to read some books by the Hot Zone Author. The sun spots or lack there of controls the population of rodents in the hot zone areas. Depending on what the sun spots are doing the rodent population in the hot zones increases. This is fine until the sun spot activity changes abrubtly and the rodents starve. As a result of starvation they become sick. As with other species the starving rodents migrate to other areas in search of food. The dieseases from the sick rodents then jump to humans.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Sounds like radiation sickness to me. There must be some nuclear material nearby.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   

5th Oct 2009

Yola — The death toll from the strange disease ravaging parts of Adamawa State has continued to increase, the health workers' union has said.

The Chairman of the Medical and Health Union Comrade Jeremiah Nyekwor while speaking with Daily Trust shortly after an emergency meeting in Yola at the weekend said the drugs procured for the victims would not be administered properly without the assistance of trained health personnel. According to him, the number of deaths recorded across the state has doubled the number earlier announced by the state government, adding that a situation where the health of people at grassroots is being threatened is not pleasant.

"Let me be frank with you, the number given by the state commissioner for information is an understatement, people are dying in hundreds while thousands are being infected by the disease suspected to be cholera.

It's unfortunate that the government is unmindful of the deadly situation because it is being handled by people with selfish interests," Nyekwor said.

"The government should take responsibility for the suffering as a result of the ongoing strike because the government caused it. Deaths in the recent cholera outbreak could have been avoided were health workers not on strike", he said.

Continued..

This is starting to make a lot more sense now.

[edit on 5-10-2009 by VitalOverdose]

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by intelior1901

I think I saw that movie. I thought they just put the box back where they found it.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Polio is making the rounds in Nigeria according to the WHO on their website.

www.who.int...

Their were a few Americans that were in Nigeria that came back to the U.S. none of them are in the age group to have had Polio shots.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Scarcer
Does anyone know if Cholera is aerobic or anaerobic? I can't find this anywhere.

If it's anaerobic than it should be very vulnerable to oxidation treatments such as MMS or hydrogen peroxide.

Well most harmful bacteria are anaerobic any way.

It's an anaerobe.
vibrio cholera

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join