It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could Swine Flu Take the Internet Down?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by NovusOrdoMundi

Could Swine Flu Take the Internet Down?

No.

Next ridiculous swine flu question.

I apologize for my minimal contribution to this thread but simple questions about impossible theoretical problems require only simple answers.

lol i starred you for making me laugh

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by MR BOB
the internet is not a single thing. it's a network, consisitng of billions of servers connected to phonelines all over the world. When you type in the address, it is like dialaing the phone, and you connect to the site.

Some sites can become overloaded, as you cannot have too many people acces the same thing too much. like everybody trying to rush through the same doorway.

but for this to happen to everysingle website in the world is unthinkable

I'm quoting this post because this is the only answer we need. Although my answer essentially accomplished the same thing MR BOB's did, his is a bit more thorough and is spot on.

The Internet can't crash. There's only two ways I can think of that would even be remotely possible:

1) Everyone in the world floods every website on the Internet simultaneously

2) Every ISP shuts down access simultaneously

But even these two "possibilities" aren't really possible. The first one requires everyone having Internet access, but there are still over 100 million websites, which means only around 70 people per website. The second one doesn't even account for the people who are smart enough to have set up their own Internet access and do not need a provider.

There is not some single button that can be pushed to shut the Internet down, and it is impossible to flood the entire Internet. Short of the entire world losing electricity, the Internet is probably humans' most immortal invention.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silk
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

Well that assumes the US govt owns the internet - which it doesnt

edit to add

The US Govt may well restrict its citizens - but i doubt the world outside will notice

[edit on 3-10-2009 by Silk]

Seriously? Assuming you're not in the U.S., would you "notice" if none of the U.S. domains were not available? Would you notice if your bank (also assuming they or any of their branches weren't based in the U.S.), for example, was unable to do a transaction because they were unable to access U.S. domains? Would you notice if any of the non- U.S. domains that are routed through U.S. domains were unavailable?

How many private businesses do you think depend on internet access to do their daily business?

Remember, I said that I do not think that people home sick with swine flu will actually be the impetus to something like this... it will be an excuse if something like this happens.

www.motherjones.com...

A new bill would give the President emergency authority to halt web traffic and access private data.

The Cybersecurity Act of 2009 (PDF) gives the president the ability to "declare a cybersecurity emergency" and shut down or limit Internet traffic in any "critical" information network "in the interest of national security." The bill does not define a critical information network or a cybersecurity emergency. That definition would be left to the president.

Bill would give president emergency control of Internet

Internet companies and civil liberties groups were alarmed this spring when a U.S. Senate bill proposed handing the White House the power to disconnect private-sector computers from the Internet.

The new version would allow the president to "declare a cybersecurity emergency" relating to "non-governmental" computer networks and do what's necessary to respond to the threat. Other sections of the proposal include a federal certification program for "cybersecurity professionals," and a requirement that certain computer systems and networks in the private sector be managed by people who have been awarded that license.

You have seriously underestimated the impact this would have.

[edit on 4/10/2009 by Iamonlyhuman]

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Oh give me a break, don't give them ideas for yet another excuse for internet censorship! This is getting surreal!

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 01:46 AM
link   
There are many, many people working very hard right now to essentially kill the free-form, user-content-generated Internet as we know it.

Right now, about 60% of the content on the Internet is user-generated. The figure for network TV = ZERO PERCENT. That's the way TPTB want the Internet of the future to be: more like a safe, sanitized, "telvision-like experience" with plenty of advertising, many fewer choices of destination, and everything tightly controlled.

Here is an excellent youtube clip on the whys and hows of this trend:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8d836110b335.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 10/5/09 by silent thunder]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join