It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could Swine Flu Take the Internet Down?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   

blogs.wsj.com

If the H1N1 swine-flu pandemic arrives this fall, one thing that may break under the strain is the Internet. Emergency planners say that school-age children and telecommuting adults could be accessing the network simultaneously, potentially overloading the public Internet’s capacity.

Schoolchildren stuck at home because of swine-flu closings could tax broadband networks during work hours.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates absenteeism during a pandemic could peak at 50% during a six-week period. Many businesses have created emergency plans that assume that absent employees will be able to work from home. It’s not clear, however, that the Internet will behave in a crisis the way it does during typical days.

The report said that 90% of the telecommuting population would experience slowdowns or blackouts when accessing the Internet.

The report recommends that the general public voluntarily limit their use of online gaming and video browsing during a pandemic. The extent to which people will limit their consumption of this type of media is debatable, and the report said that compliance would have to be above 75% to have an impact.

For those who see such a high level of voluntary compliance as unlikely, there have been moves to grant executive power to intercede. Earlier this year, Sen. Joseph Lieberman introduced a bill to the Senate that would grant federal power to protect the network, perhaps by limiting access to certain Web sites or services.

This could have anything to do with limiting people's ability to get real news could it?
Nah.... I'll make a deal with them, if they don't limit my internet usage, I won't do any work... deal??

blogs.wsj.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 3/10/2009 by Iamonlyhuman]

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   
pfft, like hell, the only way it could fail completly if a goverment went out to "hack the planet" to cover up real news.

or if an undersea cable was severed.

[edit on 3-10-2009 by MR BOB]

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Yeah, and halftime during the superbowl is gonna destroy the sewers and bring about a mutant race of feces fed sewer rat.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Finn1916
Yeah, and halftime during the superbowl is gonna destroy the sewers and bring about a mutant race of feces fed sewer rat.

Didn't the internet almost go down when MJ died?

2nd line...

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by lucentenigma

no google did. not the internet. the internet is not a single thing. it's a network, consisitng of billions of servers connected to phonelines all over the world. When you type in the address, it is like dialaing the phone, and you connect to the site.

Some sites can become overloaded, as you cannot have too many people acces the same thing too much. like everybody trying to rush through the same doorway.

but for this to happen to everysingle website in the world is unthinkable

[edit on 3-10-2009 by MR BOB]

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I really doubt the OP premise - I've had swine flu and it didnt stop me doing much - much less that the truth that the "internet" is a connected network of computers the span the globe. The have fail safes and controls - but you knew that didn't you.

Also the swamping demands of the masses seeking information is unlikely to even tax the system - you use google ? consider the demands that system takes every day - multiply by 10 - that's what the system is designed to take - it would take 10x10x10x10 oh i got bored trying to explain the fundamentals of system redundancy

simply put - it wont happen

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by MR BOB

no google did. not the internet. the internet is not on esingle thing it is a network consisitng of billions of servers connected to the phonelines all over the world, when you type in the address, it is like dilaing the phone, and you connect to the site.

some sites can become overloaded, as you cannot have toomany people acces the same thing too much.

but for this to happen to everysingle website in the world is unthinkable

thanks for the 'schooling' on how the internet works..... I thought it ran off witchcraft?

Google almost took down the internet. You use the adage of the telephone, cannot too many people using the phone at once cause outages?

Too many people using the internet at once can cause a 'domino effect' so to speak.

To think that the internet is infallible is pretty ignorant IMHO.

[edit on 3-10-2009 by lucentenigma]

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   
To believe the internet is infallible is foolish true
Falibility means sentience - and the internet is much less

BUT as an interconnected community or computers it needs more than one part to fail

[edit on 3-10-2009 by Silk]

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   

it would only cause slowdown in the area that they are in. not the world.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Don't worry Ive got the internet in a box at my house, I will make sure that it is kept in working order regardless of millions of teenagers sending meaningless messages via twitter, I've had lots of practice already.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   
The internet cant be taken down ..that was the original design spec.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by VitalOverdose

i think it could be taken down deliberatly, by the goverment, if it felt the need to. they could sever all undersea cables, disconnect sattalite comms. all sorts of dirty tricks.

just like china filters its websites that you can view.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silk
I really doubt the OP premise - I've had swine flu and it didnt stop me doing much - much less that the truth that the "internet" is a connected network of computers the span the globe. The have fail safes and controls - but you knew that didn't you.

Also the swamping demands of the masses seeking information is unlikely to even tax the system - you use google ? consider the demands that system takes every day - multiply by 10 - that's what the system is designed to take - it would take 10x10x10x10 oh i got bored trying to explain the fundamentals of system redundancy

simply put - it wont happen

Just to be clear. the OP (my post) was also doubting the premise of the article. If the internet goes down, it will not be cause by the swine flu, it will be the U.S. government taking it down legally through the law they just passed giving them the authority to do so.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

Well that assumes the US govt owns the internet - which it doesnt

edit to add

The US Govt may well restrict its citizens - but i doubt the world outside will notice

[edit on 3-10-2009 by Silk]

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

lol, wow, so that will be their excuse huh?

So what about uh, summer vacation?

What happens then?

roflcopter oh my goodness, how pathetic can they get?

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Omg, this thread is just beyond stupid

An over abundance of methane released by gassy cows simultaneously, will destroy the ozone too.

Rich, just rich.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Please, no more swine flu threads, .... for the love of god.

Whats next, " MY CAT HAS THE SWINE FLU"

" I'M HAVING SWINE FLU'S BABY"

and if its not the swine flu, .. its about the freakin vaccine.

Its a FLU for christ's sake.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   
no!

man ... the traffic on the web that really overloads the web is peer 2 peer.

if these kids stay home and start downloading everything, well, it could damage, but, it doesnt make any sense

you dont need to be home to overload the web with peer 2 peer

you just need to let your computer on, with some sharing files software and thats what everybody already does

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   

No.

Next ridiculous swine flu question.

I apologize for my minimal contribution to this thread but simple questions about impossible theoretical problems require only simple answers.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join