It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report Says Iran Has Data to Make a Nuclear Bomb

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   
www.nytimes.com...

Senior staff members of the United Nations nuclear agency have concluded in a confidential analysis that Iran has acquired “sufficient information to be able to design and produce a workable” atom bomb.

The report by experts in the International Atomic Energy Agency stresses in its introduction that its conclusions are tentative and subject to further confirmation of the evidence, which it says came from intelligence agencies and its own investigations.

But the report’s conclusions, described by senior European officials, go well beyond the public positions taken by several governments, including the United States.

Two years ago, American intelligence agencies published a detailed report concluding that Tehran halted its efforts to design a nuclear weapon in 2003. But in recent months, Britain has joined France, Germany and Israel in disputing that conclusion, saying the work has been resumed.

A senior American official said last week that the United States was now re-evaluating its 2007 conclusions.

The atomic agency’s report also presents evidence that beyond improving upon bomb-making information gathered from rogue nuclear experts around the world, Iran has done extensive research and testing on how to fashion the components of a weapon. It does not say how far that work has progressed.

The report, titled “Possible Military Dimensions of Iran’s Nuclear Program,” was produced in consultation with a range of nuclear weapons experts inside and outside the agency. It draws a picture of a complex program, run by Iran’s Ministry of Defense, “aimed at the development of a nuclear payload to be delivered using the Shahab 3 missile system,” Iran’s medium-range missile, which can strike the Middle East and parts of Europe. The program, according to the report, apparently began in early 2002.

If Iran is designing a warhead, that would represent only part of the complex process of making nuclear arms. Experts say Iran has already mastered the hardest part, enriching the uranium that can be used as nuclear fuel.

While the analysis represents the judgment of the nuclear agency’s senior staff, a struggle has erupted in recent months over whether to make it public. The dispute pits the agency’s departing director, Mohamed ElBaradei, against his own staff and against foreign governments eager to intensify pressure on Iran.

Dr. ElBaradei has long been reluctant to adopt a confrontational strategy with Iran, an approach he considers counterproductive. Responding to calls for the report’s release, he has raised doubts about its completeness and reliability.

Last month, the agency issued an unusual statement cautioning it “has no concrete proof” that Iran ever sought to make nuclear arms, much less to perfect a warhead. On Saturday in India, Dr. ElBaradei was quoted as saying that “a major question” about the authenticity of the evidence kept his agency from “making any judgment at all” on whether Iran had ever sought to design a nuclear warhead.

Even so, the emerging sense in the intelligence world that Iran has solved the major nuclear design problems poses a new diplomatic challenge for President Obama and his allies as they confront Iran.

American officials say that in the direct negotiations with Iran that began last week, it will be vital to get the country to open all of its suspected sites to international inspectors. That is a long list, topped by the underground nuclear enrichment center under construction near Qum, that was revealed 10 days ago.

Iran has acknowledged that the underground facility is intended as a nuclear enrichment center, but says the fuel it makes will be used solely to produce nuclear power and medical isotopes. It was kept heavily protected, Iranian officials said, to ward off potential attacks.

Iran said last week that it would allow inspectors to visit the site this month. In the past three years, amid mounting evidence of a possible military dimension to its nuclear program, Iran has denied the agency wide access to installations, documents and personnel.

In recent weeks, there have been leaks about the internal report, perhaps intended to press Dr. ElBaradei into releasing it.

The report’s existence has been rumored for months, and The Associated Press, saying it had seen a copy, reported fragments of it in September. On Friday, more detailed excerpts appeared on the Web site of the Institute for Science and International Security, run by David Albright, a nuclear expert.

In recent interviews, a senior European official familiar with the contents of the full report described it to The New York Times. He confirmed that Mr. Albright’s excerpts were authentic. The excerpts were drawn from a 67-page version of the report written earlier this year and since revised and lengthened, the official said; its main conclusions remain unchanged.

“This is a running summary of where we are,” the official said.

“But there is some loose language,” he added, and it was “not ready for publication as an official document.”

[edit on 3-10-2009 by john124]

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by john124

Huh,

From the OP

Senior staff members of the United Nations nuclear agency have concluded in a confidential analysis that Iran has acquired “sufficient information to be able to design and produce a workable” atom bomb.

The really interesting thing about this is that around 300 million Americans have access to "sufficient information to be able to design, and produce a workable atom bomb."

Yes, even produce as it has been proven not very difficult to obtain material in the USA.

On a side note, don't worry once the USA, and Allies attack Iran, then the enemy in Your article will be revised as,"the People who are enemy combatants to the US Govt. have sufficient information to be able to design, and produce a workable atom bomb"

I think my synopses is a little better description of the article in the OP

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by sanchoearlyjones

The really interesting thing about this is that around 300 million Americans have access to "sufficient information to be able to design, and produce a workable atom bomb."

That's not even the slightest bit true. For a start it requires expertise and experience, unless you are willing to start from scratch with the world's most brilliant minds. (i.e. the US and Soviets during the 40's and 50's). And fortunately they wouldn't work for Iran. So, actually, this expertise and experience would be needed from scientists from other nuclear countries - namely Russia & N.Korea.

Building nukes isn't like building a toy using the instruction manuals, and I don't expect anyone would want to radiate themselves during the process.

It seems some folks will say anything to have a bash at the US and whinge about some conspiracy leading us to war.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Israel names Russians helping Iran build nuclear bomb

Israel's prime minister, Binyamin Netanyahu, has handed the Kremlin a list of Russian scientists believed by the Israelis to be helping Iran to develop a nuclear warhead. He is said to have delivered the list during a mysterious visit to Moscow.

Netanyahu flew to the Russian capital with Uzi Arad, his national security adviser, last month in a private jet.

His office claimed he was in Israel, visiting a secret military establishment at the time. It later emerged that he was holding talks with Vladimir Putin, the Russian prime minister, and President Dmitry Medvedev.

“We have heard that Netanyahu came with a list and concrete evidence showing that Russians are helping the Iranians to develop a bomb,” said a source close to the Russian defence minister last week.

“That is why it was kept secret. The point is not to embarrass Moscow, rather to spur it into action.”

Israeli sources said it was a short, tense meeting at which Netanyahu named the Russian experts said to be assisting Iran in its nuclear programme.

Seems this meeting was about this, and possibly the Arctic sea was carrying materials from these rogue Russians.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Propaganda anyone?

Does Iran's data include the Internet?

I guess I also have the 'data' to produce a nuclear bomb also.

Still, he said, "I do not think based on what we see that Iran has an ongoing nuclear weapons program."

ElBaradei's comments came ahead of an expected meeting Thursday between Iran's nuclear negotiator, Saeed Jalili, and representatives of the five permanent U.N. Security Council members, plus Germany.

Source

Edit:
Why would it be hard to grasp the notion that a nation could have this data, I guess since I know how to build a pipe bomb I'm a DT. Should I be banned from shopping at Home Depot and Walmart? Oh crap I think I hear helicopters outside now....

[edit on 3-10-2009 by lucentenigma]

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by john124

I thought it was common knowledge on how nuclear bombs work, and how to build them.

It's just not easy to do without the right equipment.

Which Iran probably has.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Miraj
reply to post by john124

I thought it was common knowledge on how nuclear bombs work, and how to build them.

Which Iran probably has.

Having the "right equipment" and "expertise & experience" is part of the necessary knowledge to produce the nukes.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by lucentenigma

Well for a start, that's an older source you have provided, and this UN report has been withheld until now, and isn't going to be released yet anyway.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by john124

Originally posted by Miraj
reply to post by john124

Which Iran probably has.

Having the "right equipment" and "expertise & experience" is part of the necessary knowledge to produce the nukes.

Correct me if I'm wrong...

Based on your logic every person on earth should be throw in prison because we have the knowledge to murder someone. Or at the very least not allowed to own any sharp objects.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   
War is on the horizon no doubt about it. Sanctions will not work. The world economy desperately needs war unfortunately. Americans better buckle down and hold on cause things are going to get worse if we attack or Israel attacks Iran. You can bet on it. Iran has been in the NWO's sights for a long time now. This is all planned, it's so obvious yet the American sheeple say and do nothing.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   

No, I'm not advocating anything, I'm only explaining what the report is hinting at or stating.

What you said is ridiculous really, as nobody is claiming that. It's like claiming that anyone who may wish to prevent knife crime or just discuss it are advocating everyone who knows how to use a knife be arrested. And since that's most people who know how to use a knife, it's exactly the same as your own approach, and equally silly.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Well for a start, that's an older source you have provided, and this UN report has been withheld until now, and isn't going to be released yet anyway.

The report is from September 30th....

2nd line.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Correct, and today is the 3rd October.

That's the date of the OP source.

Many different positions have been held so far and this one is the most recent by the UN.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Correct, and today is the 3rd October.

That's the date of the OP source.

Many different positions have been held so far and this one is the most recent by the UN.

And you think that the UN didn't have their data 3 days ago? [sarcasm] Talk about super spy's. [/sarcasm]

My point:

Having the knowledge to do something and having the intent are two entirely different things. Even with intent you have to make a couple of steps towards it.

From what we have seen (signing the NPT open doors to IAEA) Iran does not have the intent on making a nuclear bomb.

[edit on 3-10-2009 by lucentenigma]

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Well Iran already have tested the triggers needed to set of a nuclear device. As far as i know this device is quite hard to put together. It needs the right power to create the the right pressure within a specific time frame to set of the nuclear bomb.

Iran have also tested high altatude detonations with this type of trigger. I cant find the source for this but i read about it at least two years ago.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   

And you think that the UN didn't have their data 3 days ago? [sarcasm] Talk about super spy's, [/sarcasm]

Of course, the Israeli's French and British have been saying this has been withheld. So the UN aren't going to state something that's been withheld until it's being released or leaked are they!

My point:

Have the knowledge to do something and having the intent are two entirely different things.

From what we have seen (signing the NPT open doors to IAEA) Iran does not have the intent on making a nuclear bomb.

I should wait until the IAEA have inspected this facility first before assuming this, and don't preclude the possibility of Iran having alternate facilities where they can move their resources and equipment to and from.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by spy66
Well Iran already have tested the triggers needed to set of a nuclear device. As far as i know this device is quite hard to put together. It needs the right power to create the the right pressure within a specific time frame to set of the nuclear bomb.

Iran have also tested high altatude detonations with this type of trigger. I cant find the source for this but i read about it at least two years ago.

I think it was German intelligence who stated that the detonators have been produced and tested, and it was from around Feb 2008 that this first came out about Iranian warhead research and production facilities.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by john124

It might be. I am going to try and find the source again and post it here.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Anyone with access to the internet has data to make a nuke. It is pretty easy actually. The hard part is getting the u235, or Plutonium to do it. That is the part that requires the deep thinking.

But as far as making the bomb, it isn't that hard.

There is this thing called critical mass. It is when you have a fissionable piece of material in enough quantity in the same place at the same time to sustain a nuclear reaction. Now the faster that critical mass is reached, the bigger the bang it makes.

So an atom bomb is nothing more than slamming two u235 sphere halfs( when brought together they are big enough to make critical mass), or lenses together at high velocity, reaching critical mass very quickly. This is known as a "gun-type" atom bomb. It is what A.Q. Kahn built. It is the simplest type of a-bomb.

The wikipedia has the info you need to make a nuke for crying out loud.

In fission weapons, a mass of fissile material (enriched uranium or plutonium) is assembled into a supercritical mass—the amount of material needed to start an exponentially growing nuclear chain reaction—either by shooting one piece of sub-critical material into another (the "gun" method), or by compressing a sub-critical sphere of material using chemical explosives to many times its original density (the "implosion" method). The latter approach is considered more sophisticated than the former, and only the latter approach can be used if plutonium is the fissile material.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by downtown436

I think you'd need a beginners guide to building nukes without radiating or destroying yourself, and wikipedia or the net may not contain that. It's not like building a toy car!
I can imagine the wikipedia guides may appear to explain a task that takes years in a few short sentences, and make it appear much easier than it actually is!

Alternatively you would need the most brilliant scientists in the world very similar to what the US and Soviets had in the 50's, or rogue russian scientists along with N.Korean scientists to give them a helping hand with their own experience and expertise in building warheads.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join