It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Important "Bluehenge" - a mini-stonehenge - discovered

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Cool! Just found this on the BBC.

Mini-Stonehenge find 'important'

"Bluehenge", named for the hue of the 27 stones from Wales which once formed it, has been described by researchers as a "very important" find.

All that now exists of the 5,000-year-old site are a series of holes where the dolerite monoliths once stood.

Bluehenge lies at the end of the "Avenue" - a pathway connecting the larger Stonehenge to the River Avon.

The remains of the monument was unearthed over the summer by researchers from Sheffield University.

It is thought it was erected around the same time as its neighbour Stonehenge.

The circle was made using the Preseli spotted dolerite stone.

It is a chemically altered igneous rock - harder than granite - which was mined in the Preseli Mountains in Pembrokeshire and dragged 200 miles to the site on the banks of the river.

Full details of the Bluehenge discovery will be published in February.

Roll on February for more details huh!?

[edit on 3-10-2009 by kiwifoot]

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   
The daily Mail has an amusing article about it!

Bluehenge unearthed: Prehistoric site that could be famous stone circle's little sister

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/17062184362e.png[/atsimg]

[edit on 3-10-2009 by kiwifoot]

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I found this pretty interesting story. There is a lot we do not know about the long buried past. In a country that has a lot of plant cover the Earth can pile up over centuries and be totally different looking in just a few hundred years never mind a thousand.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by wayouttheredude

Yeah I completely agree, I was looking for a more detailed report but to no avail.

I wonder what treasures are still buried beneath the Earth!

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Just found this from ScienceDaily, has a lot more details.

The new stone circle is 10m (33 ft) in diameter and was surrounded by a henge – a ditch with an external bank.

The standing stones marked the end of the Avenue that leads from the River Avon to Stonehenge, a 1¾-mile long (2.8km) processional route constructed at the end of the Stone Age - or the Neolithic period.

The outer henge around the stones was built around 2400 BC, but arrowheads found in the stone circle indicate that the stones were put up as much as 500 years earlier.

When the newly discovered circle’s stones were removed by Neolithic tribes, they may, according to the team, have been dragged to Stonehenge, to be incorporated within its major rebuilding around 2500 BC.

It also has an artists impression!

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 09:29 AM
link   
These stories fascinate me, but whenever I see them I am always left with the belief that they are just that; stories. And that we know absolutely nothing in reality.

Personally, I believe these sites are a great deal older than we accept, simply because we've built up this grand story as an explanation, based on tiny fragments of information that we probably consistently misinterpret.

I do look forward to learning more about this, but I fear most of it will just be "massaged" into the existing story.
It's often the case that things that defy an explanation or that simply don't suit our accepted historical story are carefully "adapted" and "translated" until they support the existing belief.

Therefore, most of it is probably wrong, although still interesting.

posted on Oct, 11 2009 @ 04:21 AM
link   
i]reply to post by detachedindividual

It's often the case that things that defy an explanation or that simply don't suit our accepted historical story are carefully "adapted" and "translated" until they support the existing belief.
[

What is it that is so mysterious about this find? So how old do you feel Stonehenge or this site is?

new topics

top topics

join