It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lisbon Treaty will give European Union a president -- and it may be Tony Blair

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Ireland poll breaks EU's Lisbon Treaty deadlock

rawstory.com

Lisbon Treaty will give European Union a president -- and it may be Tony Blair .
Ireland voted strongly in favor of the European Union's Lisbon Treaty, overturning a previous, shock No vote and taking a key step towards ending the 27-nation bloc's deadlock, ministers said on Saturday.

Irish voters backed the EU's Lisbon Treaty by 67.13 percent in favour to 32.87 percent against, according to final results of a re-run referendum published Saturday.

There have been suggestions in the European Parliament that British former prime minister Tony Blair could be given the job of EU presiden
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 3-10-2009 by Max_TO]

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   
If this has already been posted I apologies , my search button is not working

I guess we all new this was coming and that it was only a matter of time . Just what does this mean ? Will North America be the next supper state ?
How fitting to pick an ex British PM as the front runner , it may even be enough to get the British off the pound and onto the Euro .

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I'm English (NOT European, I don't even consider myself British) and had to put up with over a decade of this grinning monster who did everything he could to sell this country up the river, we are going to be a LONG LONG time, if ever to dig ourselves out of the mess he's left us with. He chose his moment precisely to jump ship and leave us in the tish and get a lot of lucrative sinecures, little work for lots of money all seemingly AMERICAN companies (just who's interests was he representing then ??????) and the E.U. want to put this (T&C's prevent me from using any appropriate words to describe him) "man" in charge of Europe......... words just fail me. Now I start to believe in the N.W.O.

It'll be a black day for this planet if this happens I would rather have Castro in charge, at least he had his country's best interests at heart.

oh, by the way I'm not a supporter of ANY political party so it's not political prejudice speaking just hatred of what this "person" has done to this country.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   
It seems that the Roman empire is about to be reborn. I find the timing of the world wide ecanomic downturn a bit too well timed to 'help' the Irish constituency to have a change of heart and vote this through. From the source article in OP

Ireland's three million voters -- who alone among the EU's 500 million citizens have a referendum on the treaty -- delivered a stunning blow to the bloc in June 2008, when they rejected the reform treaty by 53.4 percent. A second No vote would have effectively killed the treaty, which notably creates a new full-time EU president and foreign minister. Roche said Ireland's recession, which has hit hard after years of the "Celtic Tiger" boom, was a major reason for people backing the treaty.

ETA: It will be interesting to see how all the current heads of all those states will deal with the loss of power that will result with the first EU president. I'm guessing the current heads of state will be like governors are to the President of the USA? Does anyone know?

[edit on 3-10-2009 by FunSized]

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I have a podcast about Democracy - EU Style and focuses on why the Irish people were asked to vote again on The Lisbon treaty and what this means for democracy in the EU

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
President? Voted by whom? An english man? Don't they use pounds? The hypocrit only knows the euro from pictures! There is something wrong with this picture. Ver very wrong!!!

[edit on 3-10-2009 by ashamedtobehuman]

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   
yep, the sheeple of ireland have spoken. after being scared into a yes vote by being told only europe can bring us out of rescession, and jobs are safer with the lisbon treaty.

we said no the first time, but that wasnt the right answer, so the sheep had to be scared into a yes vote.

the ultra liberal green party have a major part to blame for the yes vote going.

"we cant fight climate change alone, we need europe" was one of my favorite slogans.

obviously nobody has told them that climate change naturally happens every few hundered years....

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Technically, this referendum doesn't created a president of the European Union; just the European Council. Not that it couldn't develop into something bigger in the future. It also creates a foreign secretary so as to give a more unified look to EU policy.

The big thing, from my understanding, is that it gives the EU parliament more power, which is what people should really be up in arms about.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I am genuinely confused. I thought Ireland's "No." position was the linchpin - holding the beast from being returning to finish consuming the European continent.

Is there any hope of this NOT happening?

I confess I am not as well-informed as most of you are regarding the European Union, such as it seems to be, and it's 'popular/voluntary adoption.'

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   
at least the Irish got a chance to vote.. we British cant be trusted to vote and are therefore driven like sheep with no idea where we are going..

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
I am genuinely confused. I thought Ireland's "No." position was the linchpin - holding the beast from being returning to finish consuming the European continent.

Is there any hope of this NOT happening?

I confess I am not as well-informed as most of you are regarding the European Union, such as it seems to be, and it's 'popular/voluntary adoption.'

yes we did vote NO, but that didnt make the powers that be happy, so they made the irish government hold another referendum. and im sure made it clear that a YES vote had to happen this time. hence the scare mongering from the yes side

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Welcome to democracy EU style. Your country is given a democratic vote upon an issue, but if you don't vote the way the EU require they'll keep asking you to hold a new vote until they get the result they require.

The Irish being told to vote again was a shameful state of affairs. It made a complete mockery of the principle of democracy and exposed the EU and all it stands for as a festering pit of hypocrisy. If the EU truly were the democractic union they paint themselves as, the first Irish vote of "No" would have been accepted and the EU would have had to learn to live with the consequences.

The Irish voting "Yes" this time around is a tragic state of affairs, a very shortsighted decision. I predict within less than 5 years they'll start realising what a seriously damaging mistake they have made for themselves.

Tony Blair for EU President? As a British citizen the idea disgusts me. As was pointed out in an earlier post, Blair made it a prime concern during his premiership to sell the UK down the river to Europe. The damage that has done to my country will take many decades to reverse, and no reversal will be possible anyway whilst we remain in the EU. If he was planning ahead for something to really impress his potential new employers when applying for the EU president's job he couldn't have tied it up better.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 03:25 AM
link   
didn't tony Blair change his religion from protestant to catholic soon after quitting his job as prime minster.. so not only did he abandon Britain to the wolves of Europe ,he also dumped his religious beliefs to further his career...

top topics

join