It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could we get a mechanism to unflag, or black flag a thread?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by 3DPrisoner

It is an effort to let someone know that they need to mature their postings a little bit.

Or that a garbage thread will get a huge showing of support but you can't see the 100 people who think it is garbage.

Freedom means that people can show their disapproval too.

I don't believe you should be able to remove a thread, but you should be able to show dissapproval.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I like this idea. What happens if the system is abused? People could easily vote down good quality posts. That would be a problem wouldn't it? I agree that some threads get flagged too much. Some posts also get starred too much. We need to have some mechanism of dealing with these threads that are over-starred or over-flagged.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
Or that a garbage thread will get a huge showing of support but you can't see the 100 people who think it is garbage.

Freedom means that people can show their disapproval too.

I don't believe you should be able to remove a thread, but you should be able to show dissapproval.

Why? One man's trash is another man's treasure. We have such a diverse membership that this is not the way one should look at the board. It's not designed for one type of individual.

Focus on what you like, there's plenty there. Not what you don't like.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Focus on what you like, there's plenty there. Not what you don't like.

I tried to star this post!

I disagree with the idea of "negative stars". There's so much negative now, that adding to that wouldn't bring the level of the board up. You think there's bad feelings now, just imagine how it would be if we had the opportunity to have "Star Wars"...

No thanks.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by IntastellaBurst

I agree totally, there should be some type of indicator, to let some people know what their posting is crap..... if not for them, ... for everyone else.

If theres positive their should be negative reinforcement !!

You have the option to say you dont agree with the post all you have to do is hit reply. Hitting a button that says their post is garbage to me is the easy way out. Why not respond with a meaningful post and your views as to why you feel that way?

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Wouldn't it be against the T&C if you totally trashed someone else's post? This is the thing I have been thinking about. There are a few users here who I continuously disagree with... and there are a few seemingly vehement partisan hacks. If I were to call them out on their postings wouldn't I get in trouble with the rules?

I mean, there should be more of a guideline about what you can do if you disagree with posts and if you continuously disagree with the poster. I think you should be allowed to call their post out. But, to what extent can you do that?

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   
To be honest something does need to be done.

Good threads (and I don't just mean threads I find interesting) ones that contain well thought out information, researched, backed up with information for us to follow often get ignored.

At the same time Jesus is Gay and Imaginary would get plenty of flags and stars, even if all the OP wrote inside it was a paragraph of random crap with lol written amongst it intermittently.

There is also a seriously high number of posts in the political forum and the religious forums which have NOTHING to do with conspiracy its just an attempt to troll other members of the forum.

I'd even consider joining a premium forum for these type of topics just to get away from all the damn brain leakers.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Wouldn't it be against the T&C if you totally trashed someone else's post? This is the thing I have been thinking about. There are a few users here who I continuously disagree with... and there are a few seemingly vehement partisan hacks. If I were to call them out on their postings wouldn't I get in trouble with the rules?

I mean, there should be more of a guideline about what you can do if you disagree with posts and if you continuously disagree with the poster. I think you should be allowed to call their post out. But, to what extent can you do that?

I never said to trash I said to have a meaningful post as to why you dont like their thread. Some people on here need to learn how to have a civil discussion in some of these threads. I dont agree with some members views but I respect their opinions and views on anything, its their right as a human being. You wont get in trouble if you dont violate them, just read them. I am sure you are able to get your point across without "trashing" their post.
calling someone out isnt a good idea IMO. Just because you view it as a trash post doesnt mean everyone else does. Thats what I like about ATS everyone all over the world is on here and everyone thinks differently and that is what I think makes ATS great. I have never been on an internet forum like this before and I wish one site I love to frequent would take some clues from here!
There are forums I will not post in because I know how people get in them. I posted in the 9/11 forum and well got nailed by some people but I had a legit question and people need to realize NOT everyone is not on their level of what they know and dont know. I think people instead of yelling on an internet forum at each other should probably maybe help the member who is asking the questions not attack them because they dont see it your way.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b
reply to post by Revealation

I think I am seeing a coordinated effort to dominate the site by a small group.

.."of one."

Yes, I think I'm seeing it, too.
Don't you think your suggestion might be a misguided effort to dominate the site?

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   
This idea is good on paper, much like communism was..

You see my introducing a "negative" button to any thread, we are just inviting those who like to mess around on these forums to start starring/flagging and dissaproving of everything, in large numbers.

The OP mentioned those who control the boards with stars and flags, the same would go for those who got dissaproved.

Furthermore, the bulk of threads I read, are not for the OP but for the responses and conversation that take place afterwards.

This sort of system would possibly deter me or another member from reading a subject, because of it's "dissaproval" rating, which cold possibly hold some very valuable information.

Too confusing. We should applaud effort and good thread with the stars/flags system, and ignore the trollers like we've been doing all along.

~Keeper

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Agree with that 100 percent.
I get peed off with a lot of UFO/Alien threads being taken over by plonkers who say they are from "Another Dimension", "Another Planet " or many and various other forms of total kak.
I know all things are possible, but for FFS.
It's possible I am the reincarnation of Mother Theresa talking to you now,
but as I am a 53 year old male living in the UK it's definately BS.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

I think this is a good idea. If something has been debunked, we should be able to label it as such.

[edit on 4-10-2009 by UndergroundMilitia]

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Could we get a mechanism to unflag, or black flag a thread?

Dont flag it in the first place. What i do is wait to see how the thread goes and then i star and flag.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

Flags are supposed to be the way in which the community brings things to the rest of the communities attention.

Waiting to flag a good post until it has developed into a good thread seems counter productive.

Letting maniacs or teenagers manipulate whats active on the site because we have no way to counter check flags as a community also seems counter productive.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   
if black flags would be too detrimental --->

how about a function where putting your curser on a 'Star'
identifies the member who awarded that 'Star'

that scenario would preempt the idea of a 'secret vote'
which the present method does as it is now set up.

think-about-it
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

the post above mine says:

""Flags are supposed to be the way in which the community brings things to the rest of the communities attention.

[...]

Letting maniacs or teenagers manipulate whats active on the site because we have no way to counter check flags as a community also seems counter productive. ""

i reply,

Flags are designed for the outside audience, to draw in readers to discussion threads which Google search indicates has wide appeal & interest.... the 'Flags' corresponds to the level of interest and appeal, & suggests the material is 'top notch' stuff...& intices the searcher to 'come-in' & see for themselves... i.e. the carrot on the stick !

i have discontinued the practice of Waking Up & Smelling The Coffee,
as i feel others need it more than I

[edit on 4-10-2009 by St Udio]

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Flags are designed for the outside audience, to draw in readers to discussion threads which Google search indicates has wide appeal & interest.... the 'Flags' corresponds to the level of interest and appeal, & suggests the material is 'top notch' stuff...& intices the searcher to 'come-in' & see for themselves... i.e. the carrot on the stick !

Isn't that what Digg is for ?

Flags are what brings articles onto the ATS front page or onto the headlines of each board section (depending on how you view ATS).

Stars are an indication of how many people who have read through your post particularly agree with the point you are making.

It doesn't matter who stars a post, if anything getting a lot of stars just shows an opinion that has strong support, it doesn't affect whether or not a thread is presented on the main page as far as I know. It may be interesting to know who supports what opinions but it will be fairly meaningless outside of the people who frequent certain sections of the board very often.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 06:47 PM
link   
I think many are forgetting that we already have have a positive/negative system or the tools we need to rate it...........

We already have a Thumbs Up/Thumbs Down System.

[edit on 4/10/2009 by Revealation]

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 07:31 PM
link   
How about a mechanism that gives the post author the ability to mark their own contribution with some kind of pro/con icon? Then as the thread develops, those little bits of data are captured and displayed somehow.....as some measure of the "balance" to a thread.....

"Huh....here's a thread with 10 "pros".....11 "cons"....what makes this thread have a nearly balanced ranking?"

Know whut I meen?

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by abecedarian
And in order to deter "drive by flagging", make it so that one must comment / post in the thread in order to be able to flag the thread... maybe a minimum of 50 words so that discussions are more likely to occur instead of just "hey, S&F for you!!" type posts. Heck, you could even do something similar for "stars"- if you star a post, you have to reply to / comment on the post.

Best idea so far in the whole thread. MODS please make this happen.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 10:45 PM
link   
This kind of thinking is why our modern society is so screwed up.

"I should have the freedom to censor, discourage or make disappear anything I don't agree with".

I don't like homosexuals so they shouldn't be on my TV or running around in public . . .

I don't believe in Christianity so I shouldn't have to be exposed to it . . .

I don't like guns so no one should be able to own them . . .

Somewhere along the line we lost the basic respect for other people's rights and freedoms of choice. Somehow we never seem to figure out that once we start trying to censor people or limit their freedom eventually it works its way back around to us when someone decides they don't like something we do / believe / enjoy.

The founding Fathers of the US put a great deal of thought into this. That's why they started off by acknowledging certain God given rights each and every person holds. The freedom of speech encompasses most of the debate we see. In Europe and now in America we're killing this freedom in an effort to combat "hate crimes". In the Obama administration a theme of labeling all conservatives as "extremist" and calling for censorship, prosecution and so on continues to grow.

We don't need a global elite to enslave us, we're perfectly capable of putting the chains on ourselves. Selfishness will see us all caged eventually.

There are a huge number of threads on ATS I find personally ridiculous, hilarious, unnecessary and redundant. For some reason I don't have this overwhelming need to rush in and tell the people participating how stupid
they are. Since a hundred other ATS members will beat me to it, some who seem to specialize in doing so it would also be a complete waste of my time.

We don't need a method to censor discussions or indicate our displeasure or make them go away. If it really bothers you that much that people are posting threads you dislike I'd suggest you go see a counselor. You're becoming deluded as to your own importance in this World.

For people who just can't live with discussions they disagree with there's always the option of leaving and starting your own ATS type forum where you can trample on other people's rights all you want.

Don't like something on TV or Radio? Turn the channel.

Don't like a thread on ATS? Skip it and go find one you do like. Do you really think the thread participants care about your disapproval? Consider your not giving the thread a flag and star your personal act of registering your dislike.

Oh and grow up, please. Treat other people's rights as dearly as you treat your own (or pretend to if you can't even respect your own freedom).

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join