It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could we get a mechanism to unflag, or black flag a thread?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I think the idea wouldn't be to ban threads, and I wouldn't support that, just knock them off the TOP board. Let the waring factions take each other out, so that the more interesting threads, that aim to actually present concepts and information can be given some time in the spot light. Isn't that the purpose of the TOP board. These threads will still garner enough attention on the HOT board.

It we limited people to one, two, or three flags a day, it wouldn't be so much all out war, as everyone would be looking to conserve their flagging opportunities. These threads are not my enemies, or my allies, I just think they clutter up the sight, and make it harder to find interesting threads.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by RRconservative

You know I hadn't even noticed that my ATS points were gone. Never think about it.

The only thing I tend to notice about most posters is their avatar.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   
@ "Stillalive": I'd say not let the 'good' flags be unwritten/undone by 'bad' flags, etc. so that threads would not get banned. Rather, as now, total flags would be an indicator of thread popularity, but would now reflect both positive and negative ratings... popularity does not always means everyone is for or against but is interested in it. For instance, on the side where the site shows 'Active Threads' list the positive and negative flag ratings with it. This is also why I'd recommend requiring something be added to the thread before a flag (either up or down) could be added by an individual- to promote discussion over just getting a bunch of cronies to click in, click flag, then click off.

@ "the siren": I think "flagging" a thread just so you can find it later is not responsible use of the system. How about maybe open a new window or tab in your browser on the thread then go to it, refresh the page and read all the posts when you have time? I mean, where did you have to go in such a hurry that you had time to scroll back up and hit "flag", but didn't have time to open the page in a new window, open a duplicate tab or just lock the computer or shut the lid / hibernate it so no one putzes with it while you're away? You may find your opinion of the thread changes by the time you're done with it, or maybe even it was a hoax, and if you flagged it, you can't take it back. And isn't there a "favorite" link you can click on meant pretty much for this reason?

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by the siren
Although I see your point, I disagree completely.

Often I start reading a thread and then have to go. If I enjoyed the start of the thread, I flag it so I can find it easier when I come back so I can continue reading. If I was forced to comment I wouldn't be able to do that.

As for stars, sometimes I agree with a point made but have nothing of interest myself to add. Then I just star the post as a way of saying "I agree"

I think it would be great to have a "black holes" system to disagree with stupid posts.

Siren, just to let you know and to avoid flagging threads just so you can find them easily, you can always use the "Subscribe" link just below the "flag" link, this will place it in to your "My ATS" page, you can unsuscribe in the same manner (by clicking on the "UN-SUB" link located where the subscribe link was), or just delete it from your "My ATS" page.

On the subject of this thread
The "Starring" of a particular post is merely a reflection of the opinions of those that either agree or are suitably satisfied with a well constructed argument/response, if you disagree with the argument/response the best way to convey that is with a response of your own.

[edit on 3-10-2009 by Koka]

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I have a hard enough time with ANY type of 'Stars' or 'Flags' or "ups" or 'Downs.'

It isn't really about all that...I haven't been here very long, but it's not impossible to see that there are those that just don't get along and those that support someone else by way of the current system, just because. I'm not whining, I'd be willing to drop the whole current system, but that leaves us with a couple problems.

Flags are great to draw attention to a thread, but for me, it's mostly the title...(I know, I'm shallow, but I can't possibly read everything, I'm not the Lawnmower Man)...and THEN the number of replies, and then the flags.

If I see a title that says "Wrench from Heaven Hits Bush!" I might read it, no matter how many flags it has...If it says "UFO Over Columbia" I will probably wait until it has ten flags or so, and a dozen replies to get a 'feel' for whether it has been debunked yet. "Presidents are Reptilians!" would have to have about fifty flags before I checked it out, and even then, I'll probably be busy looking for the Wrench from heaven.

You see, I have that magical thing...choice. I can choose to read a thread or not, regardless of the accolades, or warnings that would be posted by other users. I look at the 'top' page once every three weeks or so, and then get back to the 'recent posts' view.

Given the diversity of beliefs and opinions on this site, it would seem to me that statistically, a system of positive and negative flags, or stars, would pretty much zero out everybody's threads. Not productive, but maybe fair.

I mean come on (and don't get mad) I can say I'm a Zebulon from Glorflaggel and there is probably SOMEONE on this board that would either BELIEVE me, or say that THEY are one too!
You KNOW it's true.

I could also say I've had an OBE, and I'm guessing at least HALF of the folks would call BS on that. There are just too many different beliefs and alignments to make a system of positives and negatives work. Take Yin and Yang...it results in what? Yeah, balance.

There isn't a fix, when egos are involved. Many will say ego doesn't matter and for those, it might not, but for some, ego is a big deal...you only have to READ some threads to realize that.

If stars and flags were to be taken away, what system would be used to put a thread on the 'top?' Replies? A thread with 2000 replies really SHOULD be elevated above one with three replies and 50 flags, if you ask me. The problem with that is then you have to read 2000 replies.

It's SUPPOSED to be about the discussion, right? But then you have important topics (in theory) that really NEED to be discussed more and again, in theory, they should get flagged to draw attention to them.

If I use my telescope and actually SEE Nibiru (
) that would be a BIG deal, especially if impact is imminent. Now, many, MANY people have absolutely NO belief in Nibiru (don't blame them), so given the chance, as soon as they saw the title, or even the picture, BAM, negative flag, black hole, whatever you want it to be...end result, November 12, 2010, Nibiru slams into the Earth and no one knew it was coming because the thread got zeroed out, or flag-bombed into oblivion. (relax, I don't think Nibiru is coming)

As flawed as the current system may be, I think it's the best we can hope for until we have some major consciousness shift.
The author is shown on the thread, so we know if it's that guy that keeps saying death is to occur tomorrow. We don't have to read it.

If we have some evidence that death will NOT come tomorrow, we really sort of owe it to everyone else to get on the thread, as painful as it may be, and post our evidence. Then, even though the thread is flagged a jillion times, someone in the thread will see what YOU think, and the evidence that YOU have.

In that regard, the flags really HELP the case. The fifty OTHER Zeubulons on the board might flag me when I come out of the alien closet, but when that gets popped up the first page and it catches someone's eye, the thread will HOPEFULLY contain YOUR post that points out that Zebulons aren't real and the evidence you have to support that. Some won't listen to reason, or accept your evidence, but it's not about changing the whole world, right?

You can only do what you can do. If you disagree with a thread, get on it and say why. Don't call the author an idiot, or dooshbag, but make your point. That in itself, if done consistently, honestly and respectfully will have a tremendous impact on someone trying to evaluate the validity of the point and the winner in that is really the increased enlightenment of the human race. (cue galactically patriotic music) ...and that's what it's all about.

When we can, though our words, influence, inform, enlighten and convince, then that will be far more beneficial to mankind than how many flags a thread has, or how many stars a post has. But sometimes we need the flags. How else are we going to know where to go to spread our wisdom.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 08:11 PM
link   
You already have the means to show your disapproval by not flagging or starring.

If the majority interested in a topic flag and star it, how is that a problem?

I think the system works well as it is most of the time. Being on the road a lot, when I log in here at ATS I look at the home page, and read the threads that members have flagged up to that page first, They are often very interesting topics and discussions... Apparently the members do get it right most of the time.

Also if I've been away for a few days hitting the "HOT" and "TOP" buttons at the top are a great way to see what I have missed.

Then when looking at the recent posts page, I admit I look at the subject lines first and if interested somewhat I look at the number of replies and flags before opening the thread.

All in all, I think the system works great as it is. Not perfect, but is likely as good as it can be.

I'd rather see the discussions the members of ATS find flag worthy, they are very good at it.

Don't change a thing.

We've had enough "change" already.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Edit to remove the prior post, it's not worth it.
Lets just say, this place would be a much better place if it were only the posts about God being the only way.

[edit on 3-10-2009 by Sundancer]

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sundancer

Lets just say, this place would be a much better place if it were only the posts about God being the only way.

Now that's a pretty short list of topics. But guess what....
I stared your post for originality.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

If one excepts that there's a small group of users(with an agenda) who manipulate what gets on the hot and top list then it stands to reason negative flags could also be manipulated by the same group to prevent certain threads from appearing on these lists.

So I say leave well enough alone.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   
...its the weekend here, Sunday, in New Zealand...

The TV has the usual music shows on.

I'm a fan of music, like to just leave a music channel on in the background...

...the weekend countdowns are interesting...so much CRAP!

Seriously...some fool named pitbull or bulldog or pitlane or something pretty much just counts to four and says something about effectively wanting to bone some chick and she wants to bone him and some scantily clad hoe-bag is dancing around in a cheerleader outfit.

Yeah. Quality music for sure. I see why its in the top-10.

Can't fathom how such absolute mindless drivel makes a top-10...its really makes me want to take my ol trusty Makita cordless drill and burr right into my forehead...

...but that apparently is the IN music these days...its what the other mindless drivel-loving pitlane-bull-dog-wiggy-wiggy-pop-a-cap-in-yo-ass-FOOL idiiiiiiiiiiiots who are wastes of good oxygen love.

Thats the free world for ya.

Free to be idiots.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b
I am tired of seeing all these nasty political propaganda pieces dominating ATS. I see ridiculous statement after ridiculous statement with large numbers of flags. Essentially, a small group is able to control the boards with this kind of meaningless garbage.

I think that is most of the people who visit ATS had the ability to take these types of vicious threads off of the hot and top list, they would. This organized propaganda is starting to make ATS look bad, IMO.

The owners built a great site here, sorry to see it taken over by a small group of what appears to be organized propagandists.

Sorry, but with all due respect, I say no to your ploy for censorship.

If you don't like it then stay off the thread. If the political subject matter hurts your feelings than get out of the kitchen. There are threads here that disgust me but those threads and posters of those threads deserve the right to be heard and debated should an opposing viewer feel so inclined.

It sounds like to me that perhaps your favorite country is a bit under fire right now and you'd like nothing less than to head off the criticism.... Or censor it. I can't prove this of course but it really does seem that way with this plea for censorship.

Is the truth starting to hurt a little? And who is this small select group of people who are controlling the content of these boards with useless trash? Could you answer that for us? I'm sure this small group needs to be exposed by you. I say expose them if they truly exist. This sounds interesting enough to me. How about everyone else?

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

If I could I would black flag this thread; I would ( Do not take Henry Rollins out of context please).
Have you seen too many attitudes you dont agree with?
Or is it a problem for you that you can't control other peoples views?
There are plenty of friendly and politically correct threads here also; you'd probably be better suited to staying on safe ground.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

Now what if I turned around and said I want to black flag this thread because their are too many complainers on this site? I'm not saying that is the case, but how would it make you feel? I mean maybe those threads are coming from the heart and need to be considered. Just my two cents poet1b. Good thread and S+F.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 10:45 PM
link   
What about an anti-star system? That way you can show disapproval toward a specific post. It would be like the 'Thank-you' 'No-thankyou' system that is implemented on some vbulletin boards.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   
NO. That is one of the reasons I use this site. I hate when people thumb peoples comments down on youtube and I would hate it here to. If you don't like my opinion then post your reason for it, otherwise it contributes nothing.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Symbiote
The difference between flagging and un-flagging threads is the difference between succeeding by lifting up your friends, or attacking your enemies.

Would you rather hold up good threads, or are you the type to tear down threads which you do not agree with?

Love it!! You beat me to it! What good does criticism do? To publicly call someone out and place a black mark against them, is childish at best!

You have people from all over the world posting on this site. Did you ever stop to think that some people come here because it makes them feel good? I don't understand the point of trying to humiliate someone. If you do not agree or are not interested DON'T FLAG,move along!!

Besides, this is pretty damn close to censorship!

Just sayin,
Pax

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Revealation

i agree with you, freedom of choice.... if u dont like it dont click on it, no need for negative staring folks, its negative, and ats is a positive site for info no matter how nuts it might be

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I go to another board about knitting (yes, knitting) that has a post system that records how many people have clicked that they agree, disagree, love, and think is funny each post. While it is kind of cute, even on a knitting forum it creates a crazy amount of drama, with people who have a grudge stalking someone who has somehow offended them only to disagree with every darn post that person has made. It gets ridiculous.

Even though we can "foe" people here, we can't anonymously be annoying without getting called down by a mod. I see that as a good thing.

If stupid posts get stirred up to the front page constantly, then the thing that should be considered is how posts make it to the front page, and perhaps make it easier for casual atsers to find new posts. I think the whole front page thing discourages people from engaging in smaller conversations that would often be more interesting than arguing about petty things.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by AmethystSD
I go to another board about knitting (yes, knitting) that has a post system that records how many people have clicked that they agree, disagree, love, and think is funny each post. While it is kind of cute, even on a knitting forum it creates a crazy amount of drama, with people who have a grudge stalking someone who has somehow offended them only to disagree with every darn post that person has made. It gets ridiculous.

Even though we can "foe" people here, we can't anonymously be annoying without getting called down by a mod. I see that as a good thing.

If stupid posts get stirred up to the front page constantly, then the thing that should be considered is how posts make it to the front page, and perhaps make it easier for casual atsers to find new posts. I think the whole front page thing discourages people from engaging in smaller conversations that would often be more interesting than arguing about petty things.

I was going to make this point, as well. I also belong to another site that just disengaged the post rating option, for this same reason. It turned into a passive-aggressive "hit" against posters, not post topic.

Sadly, a few ruined a good option, for the all...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join