It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could we get a mechanism to unflag, or black flag a thread?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
I am tired of seeing all these nasty political propaganda pieces dominating ATS. I see ridiculous statement after ridiculous statement with large numbers of flags. Essentially, a small group is able to control the boards with this kind of meaningless garbage.

I think that is most of the people who visit ATS had the ability to take these types of vicious threads off of the hot and top list, they would. This organized propaganda is starting to make ATS look bad, IMO.

The owners built a great site here, sorry to see it taken over by a small group of what appears to be organized propagandists.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 10:50 AM
link   
This is the beauty about "Freedom of Choice".

There's plenty of topics and realities in life that I deem utterly useless, offensive, oppresive and detrimental to the health and well being of how humans live their lives, yet nothing is done about it.

But.....HEY MODS Let's make this website extra special and configure a way for people to not have to deal with a thread.

OH I got it....how about just refusing to click the link.

It's a choice (Not Clicking the mouse button) and if you can't handle this simple aspect of the freedoms in life that only YOU can provide for yourself, then it may just prove you have absolutely NO Willpower and have bigger issues at hand than worrying about what topics are on the front page of a website.

This request in itself is ignorance for the simple fact that NOBODY should have special accomodations for any specific group.

AFTER ALL Didn't HITLER want just an ARYAN nation?

Doesn't justify it or make it right.

[edit on 3/10/2009 by Revealation]

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Revealation

I do think we should be able to 'negative star' a post though.

The same way a star is to show support or say 'good job' a negative star would be a way to show disapproval.

Just my 0.02

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by lucentenigma

Oh yeah...

The old thumbs up/down rating system...Hmmm...

Now that would make things interesting here and cause yet more gray hairs appear in SO's beard

I like the idea myself...(not the gray hair thingy, but...)

[edit on 10/3/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   

I can understand the point of view, but this is the problem with us as a species....EVERYTHING is overdramatic and overdone.Simplicity is the answer. A simple concept that is just too impossible for the complex human mind.

If this is the case (negative/positive flag system) why don't we just suggest that the whole approval system be obsolete?

We could all just login to our favorite topics and take it from their. It's pretty simple and again....

It's our choice.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Revealation

If we can vote all in support, why can't we vote all opposed.

No one is saying remove the thread, but just get it off the hot and top list, when as many people or more disapprove as approve. I think I am seeing a coordinated effort to dominate the site by a small group.

Usually I don't bother with these thread, but is getting to be like a parade of the ugly when looking for a decent article to read.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

First off, From my original post, Don't take the sarcasm personally, it was just to make my point.

I do understand your point but it would be much simpler that if we need to accomodate everyone's personal feelings and preference, if we just did away with it in that case.

Or if there was just a hot topic in the topics we chose to view.WE tend to over complicate everything even something as simple as viewing a website.

I think we have become to accomodated as humans and this is why NOBODY deals with real life problems on the level they should.
We blow everything out of proportion and it becomes a catastrophe when it's nothing more than an inconvenience at best.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Revealation

I can understand the point of view, but this is the problem with us as a species....EVERYTHING is overdramatic and overdone.Simplicity is the answer. A simple concept that is just too impossible for the complex human mind.

If this is the case (negative/positive flag system) why don't we just suggest that the whole approval system be obsolete?

We could all just login to our favorite topics and take it from their. It's pretty simple and again....

It's our choice.

No, I don't agree with the negative flagging idea, but I do think the thumbs up/down (positive star/negative stars) system for post's would be good.

Most of the time I will flag a thread even if I don't agree with the OP as long as they laid down a good argument for debate.

I don't see flagging a thread as approval or disapproval just a 'bump' so to speak.

The whole point if I'm correct about the flagging system is so the users of ATS can get important topics to the front of the site.

Just because I don't agree with a OP doesn't mean the topic isn't important IMHO.

[edit on 3-10-2009 by lucentenigma]

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   
And in order to deter "drive by flagging", make it so that one must comment / post in the thread in order to be able to flag the thread... maybe a minimum of 50 words so that discussions are more likely to occur instead of just "hey, S&F for you!!" type posts. Heck, you could even do something similar for "stars"- if you star a post, you have to reply to / comment on the post.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by abecedarian

That's a good addition as well IMHO...

Didn't they used to have a minimum character limit for posts that got shot down?

The "Drive-by's" you speak of would become less common if they actually had to put their brain/opinion on display for the world to see

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by lucentenigma

Most of the time I will flag a thread even if I don't agree with the OP as long as they laid down a good argument for debate.

Stars could and are used for this.

I don't see flagging a thread as approval or disapproval just a 'bump' so to speak.

The whole point if I'm correct about the flagging system is so the users of ATS can get important topics to the front of the site.

Just because I don't agree with a OP doesn't mean the topic isn't important IMHO.

Yes, so why if this was a topic people didn't want on the front would they add a flag? Thumbs up/down is the same concept and then whe another group logs on they are gonna basically have the same argument. Fact is that everyone has different views and NONE of US are accomodated to what we like all the time on the front page

I just don't understand why if it needs to be so complicated...then get rid of the front page and everyone can choose their topic they like and view the flagged topics in that category.

Simple solution for such and overdramatized inconvenience.

Edit to add:
reply to post by abecedarian

That makes sense and is a simple solution and good suggestion to the problem.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Yes, this does complicate the system, but it seems to me that a small group can dominate the site by flagging every post they see that agrees with their political agenda.

Of course there would then rise large numbers of negative flagging, if such a system were put into place. I suspect a simpler solution could be found.

How about if members were limited on how many threads you can flag in a day, or thumbs up, thumbs down.

Maybe if they could only vote for one thread a day, people would choose a lot more carefully.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

At first I thought that would be a good idea, but then remembered that a lot of people visit ATS, and never, or rarely post, and I think they should be able to vote.

I think it is a good idea to kick ideas around, maybe the site owners will pay attention and take them into consideration. They seem to work hard to make this a good site.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   
The difference between flagging and un-flagging threads is the difference between succeeding by lifting up your friends, or attacking your enemies.

Would you rather hold up good threads, or are you the type to tear down threads which you do not agree with?

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by abecedarian
And in order to deter "drive by flagging", make it so that one must comment / post in the thread in order to be able to flag the thread... maybe a minimum of 50 words so that discussions are more likely to occur instead of just "hey, S&F for you!!" type posts. Heck, you could even do something similar for "stars"- if you star a post, you have to reply to / comment on the post.

Although I see your point, I disagree completely.

Often I start reading a thread and then have to go. If I enjoyed the start of the thread, I flag it so I can find it easier when I come back so I can continue reading. If I was forced to comment I wouldn't be able to do that.

As for stars, sometimes I agree with a point made but have nothing of interest myself to add. Then I just star the post as a way of saying "I agree"

I think it would be great to have a "black holes" system to disagree with stupid posts.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
We can't even have our ATS points visable to all because of the crybabies. What makes you think this will work?

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

Right On
I think that is a good idea. No doubt the same jerk offs putting out the absolute lies will use the function, but not a bad idea.

Thanks poet

S&F

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   
not good,that way some "groups" can exploit and ban threads

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   
ATS is about something way more important than stars or flags; it's about
content. I agree that some really ridiculous threads get too much attention
(like the shaved monkey are aliens threads). If you completely
disregard the "rankings" system (if you will) you'll find so many
challenging and interesting threads it makes my head spin somedays to
see how much new material gets posted here each and every day.

Just don't let it bother you and you can still a get a great deal of
pleasure, information and opinion. I haven't found a better internet forum
anywhere so somebody must've done something right. Cheer up mate!
Everyone's contributions are appreciated here regardless of how many
bells and whistles it makes go off. I have read some of your replies and
threads and your intelligence is an asset to this community. I hope you
plan on staying and continuing your contributions!

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I agree totally, there should be some type of indicator, to let some people know what their posting is crap..... if not for them, ... for everyone else.

If theres positive their should be negative reinforcement !!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join