It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alaskan Volcano Erupts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   

CHUGINADAK ISLAND, ALASKA (BNO NEWS) – Alaska's Cleveland Volcano briefly erupted on Friday evening, according to volcanologist on Saturday, but no one was thought to be at risk. Friday's eruption was described as being brief and started at around 11.30 p.m. local time (0730 UTC). According to the Alaska Volcano Observatory (AVO), satellite data indicated that the Cleveland volcano was producing an ash cloud to maximum altitudes of 15,000' to 20,000' (4.5 to 6.1 kilometers). In response to the eruption, the center raised the aviation color code to Orange and the volcano alert level to "Watch." "The lack of a real-time seismic network at Cleveland means that AVO is unable to track local earthquake activity related to volcanic unrest," a statement from the agency said. "Short-lived explosions with ash plumes that could exceed 20,000 ft above sea level can occur without warning and may go undetected on satellite imagery."

Source

Not really to much to add other then this is very interesting in regards to the recent major earthquakes.

We should definitely keep an eye on this.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   
don't look to much into it, volcanoes erupt here everyday, there's even one about 20miles from my place (see it from my living room) that just stopped erupting from march. Alaska Volcano Observatory

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alaskan Man
don't look to much into it, volcanoes erupt here everyday, there's even one about 20miles from my place (see it from my living room) that just stopped erupting from march. Alaska Volcano Observatory

Thanks for that.

Thought it was important because it was listed as 'breaking news'.

I guess that's what I get for being lazy and not doing the research first.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by lucentenigma

with all the earthquakes and what not going on right now i don't blame you, its easy to have a story feel like it goes hand in hand with other geological events.

do you think we may have a big increase in large earthquakes and eruptions sometime soon?

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alaskan Man
reply to post by lucentenigma

with all the earthquakes and what not going on right now i don't blame you, its easy to have a story feel like it goes hand in hand with other geological events.

do you think we may have a big increase in large earthquakes and eruptions sometime soon?

I will admit it I love fresh doom, but I really can't say.

I'm still trying to educate myself on the subject, been looking into historical data and such.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   
edit: dbl post

[edit on 3-10-2009 by lucentenigma]

new topics

top topics

join