It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anti-wi-fi paint offers security

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Researchers say they have created a special kind of paint which can block out wireless signals.

It means security-conscious wireless users could block their neighbours from being able to access their home network - without having to set up encryption.

The paint contains an aluminium-iron oxide which resonates at the same frequency as wi-fi - or other radio waves - meaning the airborne data is absorbed and blocked.

By coating an entire room, signals can't get in and, crucially, can't get out.

Developed at the University of Tokyo, the paint could cost as little as £10 per kilogram, researchers say.

Cost-effective security

The makers say that for businesses it's a quick and cheap way of preventing access to sensitive data from unauthorised users. Presently, most companies have to invest in complicated encryption software to deter hackers.

Speaking on the BBC World Service's Digital Planet programme, Shin-ichi Ohkoshi, who is leading the project, explained how the paint could have many uses beyond security.

Link:
news.bbc.co.uk...

--------

This is Great News - Now I can take down the aluminum foil from my windows and walls.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 06:48 AM
link   
great,we need more cool wacky inventions like this.
kudos to the inverntors

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 06:52 AM
link   
What about other wire-less devices? If I paint my whole interior in this paint (or even just one room), will my cordless and/or cell phones still work in the house? What about from my garden with my cordless?

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Who needs paint when you can wrap your house in tin foil.

sugarmtnfarm.com...

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 07:42 AM
link   
I have a great invention that's even better.
It's called category 5 wiring.

No one can steal my signal and I dont have to paint my house with god knows what. I also dont have excessive emissions in my house of a questionable nature.

food for thought.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Critical_Mass

I agree.

So I guess this foils the see-through walls wifi now.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 08:17 AM
link   
These types of transmission blocking technologies have been around for quite some time. In many various forms too obviously, through different techniques.

This is clearly evidenced by the fact we on the "internet street" are talking about it right now, because you know the military has known of it far longer than we have.

Think of the military applications.

These techniques undoubtedly date back at the least, several decades. Perhaps not this specific one, or the others mentioned, but there have been ways.

Just follow the general rule of thumb, that things to not reach the masses right away. They reach the masses after the authorities have looked over them very deeply.

What do you actually think they are retarded?

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Dang! No wonder the grocery store charges almost $10 for a roll of tin foil now!

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by ShadoMan

The paint contains an aluminium-iron oxide which resonates at the same frequency as wi-fi - or other radio waves - meaning the airborne data is absorbed and blocked.

Great, now your painting your house with thermite. Maybe this is the theory all the debunkers can use as to why the WTC collapsed??

[edit on 3-10-2009 by Alchemst7]

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 12:49 AM
link   
whats with all this wi-fi technology? Seems to be alot of it being mentioned here on ATS......

www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread506918/pg1

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 01:02 AM
link   
maybe this paint can deter the invasion of privacy through wi fi that was mentioned in a earlier thread.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 01:42 AM
link   
So, stealth paint for your room. Does the air force know about this?
What do you do about windows?

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 01:49 AM
link   

No one can steal my signal and I dont have to paint my house with god knows what. I also dont have excessive emissions in my house of a questionable nature.

food for thought.

i totally agree.
hard wiring is simply a superior connection if feasible.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadoMan

Dosen't that block the purpose of wifi? I mean if this paint can do this then what if your wireless router is in the basement or in your bedroom and now your limited to just using wifi in your bedroom?

I mean using this paint around the house can block the signal going out of the house but what If you want to use the laptop outside maybe you need to take the laptop outside and use the internet to look at car or automotive manuals.

I can see the use of the paint. I just won't use it. It's cheaper to just put the encryption in the first place.

Saves time and money that way then to paint around your house.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   

food for thought.

Actually, the cat 5 wiring produces an energy field around the actual wires which can be read with the right equipment. This is similar to the field around high tension wires, but to a much lesser effect.

Ethernet over power uses this energy wave to send data, it actually works, but is currently said to be too expensive.

If your really serious about the emissions from wifi or current wiring, one would suggest you use fiber optic cable.

Just sayin

..ex

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I've worked with RF since around 1982....

The paint doesn't care if it's WiFi, a Cell Phone, a cordless phone, baby monitor. It will either absorb or reflect it in odd ways. The frequency will determine exactly how it is affected by the paint. Unless you paint the windows... the RF will travel right through. Dunno... seems like a pretty odd panacea.

And yeah... that seems to be the same formula for Thermite.

new topics

top topics

join