It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Secession movement goes beyond Texas

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I love Texas...well some of it. I was born there. We've seen states try and secede before. It got really bloody. The Feds are not going to let a cash cow walk out the door. They can't. Who would pay their debt and interest?

They will make up something and completely skew it from state's rights to something like....uh slavery, or terrorism, or right-wing nutjobs.

There's no way that states don't know this. I think it's a lot of posturing myself, but would be willing to be alive when history is rewritten.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
this is against federal law. so...texas will have to have another civil war, if they want to go ahead with secession.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx
this is against federal law. so...texas will have to have another civil war, if they want to go ahead with secession.

Way to blow smoke up everyone's collective ass

--Most countries have laws that punish persons who secede or attempt to secede. The United States has no specific law on secession, but the federal government and state governments maintain laws that punish Sedition and other forms of insurrection against the government. On the federal level, for example, chapter 115 of title 18 of the U.S. Code Annotated identifies Treason, rebellion, or insurrection, seditious conspiracy, and advocation of the overthrow of the government as criminal offenses punishable by several years of imprisonment and thousands of dollars in fines. These are the types of crimes that can be charged against persons who attempt to secede from the United States. Link--

You fail.

[edit on 10/3/2009 by Lemon.Fresh]

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh

Originally posted by jimmyx

Way to blow smoke up everyone's collective ass

--Most countries have laws that punish persons who secede or attempt to secede. The United States has no specific law on secession, but the federal government and state governments maintain laws that punish Sedition and other forms of insurrection against the government. On the federal level, for example, chapter 115 of title 18 of the U.S. Code Annotated identifies Treason, rebellion, or insurrection, seditious conspiracy, and advocation of the overthrow of the government as criminal offenses punishable by several years of imprisonment and thousands of dollars in fines. These are the types of crimes that can be charged against persons who attempt to secede from the United States. Link--

You fail.

no...you fail:

en.wikipedia.org...

In accepting jurisdiction, the court ruled that Texas had remained a state ever since it first joined the Union, despite its joining the Confederate States of America and its being under military rule at the time of the decision in the case. In deciding the merits of the bond issue, the court further held that the Constitution did not permit states to secede from the United States, and that the ordinances of secession, and all the acts of the legislatures within seceding states intended to give effect to such ordinances, were "absolutely null".

[edit on 3-10-2009 by jimmyx]

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

You still fail because that is a court case. Not a federal law against it.

You fail x2 because of this:
Link

Keep it up

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   
You can't secede without a civil war.

See "Appomattox Courthouse:"

Appomattox Court House

Texas Secession Movement

The Modern Movement

Main article: Republic of Texas (group)
The movement for independence was started by the research of Richard Lance (Rick) McLaren. McLaren found that, in 1861, Texans voted four-to-one to leave the Union. According to McLaren's work, Texas met the qualifications, under international law, of a captive nation of war, since the end of the American Civil War in 1865. McLaren engaged in a protracted series of court and actual battles.
The Republic of Texas is a group of individuals that claims that the annexation of Texas by the United States was illegal and that Texas remains an independent nation under occupation. Group activists draw on Tenther political thinking to advocate their ideas.[2] The issue of the Legal status of Texas led the group to claim to reinstate a provisional government on December 13, 1995. Activists within the movement claim over 40,000 active supporters; however, there is no widespread popular support for an independent Texas. The movement split into three factions in 1996, one led by McLaren, one by David Johnson and Jesse Enloe, and the third by Archie Lowe and Daniel Miller. In 1997, McLaren and his followers kidnapped Joe and Margaret Ann Rowe, held them hostage at the Fort Davis Resort, and demanded the release of two movement members in exchange for the Rowes. McLaren's wife, Evelyn, convinced him to surrender peacefully after a week-long standoff with police and Texas Rangers. The McLarens and four other Republic of Texas members were sent to prison. This effectively destroyed the McLaren faction, and the Johnson-Enloe faction was discredited after two of its members, Jack Abbot Grebe Jr. and Johnie Wise, were convicted in 1998 of threatening to assassinate several government officials, including President Bill Clinton.
In 2003, what remained of the movement consolidated into one dominant group recognizing the current "interim" government (which replaced the "provisional" government), headed by President Daniel Miller. This interim government claims authority from the original proclamations of 1995 and set up a seat of government in the town of Overton. Most of the original personalities of the movement have disappeared from public view. Government finances have come from donations and the sale of some items such as a Republic of Texas Passport. The Republic of Texas headquarters in Overton, Texas burned down on August 31, 2005; one person was moderately injured. A separate movement, called the "Texas Convention Pro-Continuation 1861" (TCPC) claims to be the official authority "recognized by the State of Texas and the United States Government for the contemporary effort to bring to power, by popular vote of the People of Texas, the government of the Republic of Texas."[citation needed]
Yet another Republic of Texas group [1], sometimes referred to as the 10th Congress, meets at Washington-on-the-Brazos. Many of these members are splintered from previous RoT groups. Their President is Larry Hughes, and Vice President is V. Dale Ross.[citation needed]
Republic of Texas President Miller and Laurence Savage published the Republic of Texas's manifesto Texan Arise in 2004. The book outlines the history of Texas, the history and philosophy of the Republic of Texas group, a road map to independence, and some spiritualistic views of Texas. A second important book for the movement is The Brief by the Republic of Texas, published in 2003, a comprehensive case against the United States and State of Texas governments. The book is laid out like a court case, and cites approximately 250 exhibits.
In January 2004, a man in jail in Aspen, Colorado claimed that the state of Colorado had no jurisdiction to extradite him to California on a probation warrant, on the grounds that he was a citizen of the Republic of Texas. He claimed that the sliver of land which contains Aspen was a part of the original Republic of Texas and, as such, he was not a citizen of the United States. His claim was rejected by the courts.

It has been tried before. It didn't end well.

[edit on 3-10-2009 by Sestias]

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 08:07 PM
link   
And it will not end well again.

No country in this world will go by Texas.

If you think illegal immigration and the cartels coming was bad before, you haven't got a clue, Lemon.

The sad thing is, a lot of innocent people will have to die over this...

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   
As a native son from Texas, I find all the macho secessionist talk from people that work in an office somewhere, like pretty boy Rick, to be most amusing.

All hat no cattle!

[edit on 3-10-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Again the last two posters have failed to read the title of this post and have instead chosen to go along with the bias of the OP.

For the record the Title is "Secession movement goes beyond Texas".

That means more than just Texas has been thinking about secession.

Something to consider before yall continue with your damnation of Texas.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by titorite
For the record the Title is "Secession movement goes beyond Texas".

That means more than just Texas has been thinking about secession.

Well fine, then do it! Quit all this childish tantrum, threatening BS. Either do it and start the process or shut up.

I'm not damning Texas. I love Texas but some of it's citizens are fools and think that strutting around all puffed up makes them a man or in some peculiar way garners them respect.

Don't let your ideology get in the way of your common sense.

[edit on 3-10-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Whaa.... This particular thread is about the secession movement being bigger than Texas... at least that is what I infer from the Title of the thread...

And you ask me to do something about it all... Well man... I am willing to invest as much as you are or more... So how about we pool our resources Eh?

I got some collateral and some land for a training ground... If you want me to do stuff then I need to know what You have to bring to the table....

Its all about what we can do for our country right?

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by titorite
And you ask me to do something about it all... Well man... I am willing to invest as much as you are or more... So how about we pool our resources Eh?

I got some collateral and some land for a training ground... If you want me to do stuff then I need to know what You have to bring to the table....

T. Haven't you surmised by now that I don't want Texas to secede. I'm perfectly happy with the residuals from my oil leases, my cotton check and the lease on my farm. Even with Pretty boy Rick at the helm; I'm satisfied with the status quo in Texas and I would hate like hell to see it change and jeopardize my retirement.

Train for what? I would much rather hang out on So. Padre with my GF, make love on the beach, fish for spec's and Reds, wind surf, and listen to the blues at Parrot Eyes.

And as far as ME bringing something to the table; well the Corona and shrimp are on me. My advice to you young feller is to lighten up.

topic...if other states want to secede and the majority of the states population votes for secession, then fine. Majority rules! But please, stop with the whineing and these childish threats. As they say in Amarillo [blank] or get off the pot. Personally I see the whole debate fueled by right wing fools like Rush, Savage, Sean and the other media entertainers.

[edit on 4-10-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh

Originally posted by chiron613
If the good people of Texas really want to secede, I say let them, and good riddance. I don't like their exports.

You do not like a lot of things then . . .

You do not like beef

You do not like fruit or vegetables

You do not like cotton

You do not like oil

You do not like calculators or computers

You do not like electricity

Hmmmmm. How in the world would I ever get by. I cannot even begin to imagine how New York would ever get beef, produce, power and electronics from without Texas.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Interesting thread, but for the record, it is not just Texas that have been talking about secession, last time I checked, there are some 20 different states, where there is a segment of the population that keep bringing it up. The main reason that Texas shows up is that they are more vocal about it and are not afraid to state such. The one state to watch that has taken legal steps to do such is the state of Hawaii. Hawaii, actually took the United States to court to prove that the island state was illegally annexed and taken over in an act of agression. However for them to fully remove from the union there are steps, that the United States Supreme Court recognizes and they do work slowly towards that end. (Currently there is one of the details that they are working out and that is based on the family of the last royal Hawiian family and who would be entitled to sit on the throne of Hawaii.) My belief is that if things continue on in the current direction the calls for states to leave the union will grow stronger, with a majority of the population actually looking to do such. All it would take is one or 2 states to do such and the country will collaspe like a house made of cards in a strong wind. The question should more be what will the federal government do to prevent this from occuring? And what will they do if such does occure? How far would it go, to an actual shooting war, where the country would once again in its history, be forced to wear the mark of Cain, pitting brother against brother, family splitting down the middle, or would the let those who desire to go, go and let the chips fall where they may?

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Except, in the end, no state is going to do it.

Even if you think Texas is doing so well right now, and it's suffering from the economy, no state will leave.

I'm sorry to say to the Texans who want secession, but Perry only said what he said to gain votes. That's it.

He's not seceding...

But by all means, if you wish to leave the United States, there are dozens of countries in the world you can go to.

No one's forcing you to stay here.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join