It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wi-Fi signals used to see through walls

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Wi-Fi signals used to see through walls

www.telegraph.co.uk

Scientists at the University of Utah in the United States have found a way to harness Wi-Fi signals to 'see' through solid walls.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Just what we need. More technology methods of defeating privacy behind closed doors. This one looks like it can be constructed by any kid with some hardware hacking skills. This is making my head hurt. I love my Wifi but this kind of news disturbs me.

Switching off my Wifi and going to bed like I should have done hours ago. I knew they could do this with cell phone towers already but this is almost like radar on every WiFi enabled device.

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by wayouttheredude

This is a very worrying development.

The mind boggles - privacy will become a thing of the past.

Things like this are all very well when used legitimately, but as we all know, they will be used for every other purpose.

Technology is indeed a double-edged sword.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 01:00 AM
link   
I am going to start Lining my house with copper so they can't see in. This is very troubling information. I understand a scientist willingness to discover new things and improve technology, but there has to be a time where you say that this is wrong and destroy the research so the government, who usually perverts the findings to suit their own means, gets it.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by spellbound

The Counter agent has already been invented. Anti WI FI paint!

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 01:07 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 01:21 AM
link   
thats great. so when can i pick up my x-ray goggles.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by TiM3LoRd

I can pick up my x-ray goggles too, so be careful what you wish for.

Does your life bear close scrutiny? Does anyone's?

I think this is an infringement of people's rights, seriously.

If you Americans looked closely at your constitution, I think it would rule this kind of thing out.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 01:32 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 04:09 AM
link   

I have nothing to hide. And im pretty sure there are far more interesting people to watch than me.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by TiM3LoRd

So you think it is ok to spy on people? That the so-called powers that be can do that?

This is getting ridiculous.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 04:56 AM
link   
I think that although this technology will inevitably be bastardised to fit military and police/political needs , it should be taken into account that if this idea can be expanded to render a 3d representation of an area behind an obstruction, then it will be a major boost in rescue attempts during building collapses, fires, and all kinds of natural disasters. Also bare in mind that wireless signals can be blocked, and as far as I am aware the hardware required to block not only wireless signals but also mobile phone signal from an area , has been around for some while now.
I still find it far more worrying that the government here were considering putting xray cameras on street corners to make sure our citizenry werent carrying knives or bombs. I mean, xrays ? Arent they just SLIGHTLY dangerous if repeated exposure occurs ?Anyway , you can block this #, and the technology allowing you to do so is no doubt about the size of a credit card these days . Dont have a cow man.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 05:00 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

OH MAN - they will look into your bedroom - how sick is that?

This is an evil discovery.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 05:05 AM
link   

They are welcome to . If they have the mental fortitude to watch me changing into and out of my night garments, see me scratching myself after a particular humid sticky day , or watch me in the throes of passion with whomsoever lands in my bed , and not go insane with disgust and maybe tear out thier own eyes, then good luck to them.
But honestly , its really simple. Singal jamming ... AH DUUUURRRR!

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 05:09 AM
link   

Gotta laugh.

I won't be spying on you.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by titorite

Well now I got to buy or perhaps make myself some of this paint. It looks like a good thing to have anyway even for the reduction in stray signals coming into your house from other WiFi and related signal sources. This is great TSCM gear as well. Thanks for the link to the resource.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Looks like that anti wifi paint came out just in time

Line 2

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   

I think what most of you paranoid tin hats seem to forget is that they can see through walls now with thermal imaging. You think you have privacy now? WAKE UP. we lost it years ago. ITS TECHNOLOGY, it can be used for good or bad. Stop crying about how bad it is, its the people that use it for negative purposes that you should be crying about not the tech itself. Why arent you crying about guns that they can kill you with or poisons or viruses or a billion other things the government could use against you. Instead your running for the hills over THIS, get a grip on reality pal. Trust me nobody cares what you do behind closed doors. Unless your doing something illegal or pathological. ARE YOU?

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   
This was an interesting read but I'm not too worried about it and here's why:

They had to use 32 separate network devices (I'm assuming Routers but it wasn't specified) to do this plus some configuring to beam all the signals, then have software decode the signals to see a fuzzy outline.

You can bet the average person isn't going to spend this much money or time to see a fuzzy outline.

There is spy equipment out there where you can drill a tiny little hole and stick a camera right through a wall and there are lenses out there that let you see into peepholes in doors in reverse so you can see inside.

And you can bet that the government has already figured this out and perfected the technology and made it pocket sized.

I don't think the average person would or could do this and the government prob already can and we can't stop 'em from doing it any more then we can stop them from using their satellites so.

Until we have a real revolution or something not much can be done about it.

EDIT: Spelling (like always )

[edit on 3-10-2009 by mkross1983]

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   

lol

Thank you for those vivid images!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join