It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anime and Cartoon Characters

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

Yeah... it's actually easier to seriously exaggerate the characters when drawing them.

There are a few good artists in the style, but over all it's pretty poor.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I'm not too sure if the Japanese audience perceives the characters as not being Japanese. It's just a westernized style, which Disney made the standard for animation back in the day. I believe some time ago Japan began westernizing many aspects throughout society, they equated westernization as modernity. Anime jumped on board with the Disney style because the Disney style was appealing to people and sold.

Early comics (manga) were black and white, it was economically smart and cheap to produce. Then when they were transitioned from comic to animation the color (of skin) stuck.

That's pretty much all I can remember from reading or watching something about the history of animation in Japan.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Everybody! Forget about Everything else, Lets talk about my most Favorite
Characters: Robin, Starfire, Beast Boy, Raven from Teen Titans and Taichi, Yamato, Sora, Mimi, Koushiro, Joe, Takeru, Hikari From Digimon 02 since They all shares physical features in some ways: skinny builds.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Remember! From now, don't post anything Ideologically Sensitive in this Thread!.

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Forest
I'm not too sure if the Japanese audience perceives the characters as not being Japanese. It's just a westernized style, which Disney made the standard for animation back in the day. I believe some time ago Japan began westernizing many aspects throughout society, they equated westernization as modernity. Anime jumped on board with the Disney style because the Disney style was appealing to people and sold.

Early comics (manga) were black and white, it was economically smart and cheap to produce. Then when they were transitioned from comic to animation the color (of skin) stuck.

That's pretty much all I can remember from reading or watching something about the history of animation in Japan.

I like any cartoon characters from around the world rendered in anime style.

posted on Oct, 16 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Forest

Why The Color (of skin) Stuck when they Transitioned from comic to animation?

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Well, I'm a nerd, and a true appreciator of anime in Japanese, becuase once it's turned into English, it's almost all sniveling crap. Let me give you some animes off the top off my head:

-In the film, "Paprika" (Which is way awesome, by the way), there is one character so fat he has trouble with doors occasionally. They show all the food he orders, and whew, man! They also give him alot of gruff over being so fat.
-In the anime Blood+, there is a character who is both fat and black!
-In the anime Niea_under 7, there is an east indian character who is quite large. And you've never heard a lingual feat like hearing Japanese with a Hindi accent!
-In the anime Naruto, there is one especially fat ninja!
-Large black guy dies in the first half of Karas

I'm sure there are plenty others, but I can't think of much right now. Alot of anime is childish, magic girl dribble. But alot more of it is intense, or artsy or just plain awesome! Serial animes that play on TV can run on for a long time, so after a while, they're really weird. Then there are OAVs, which are like long episodes, or movies, because alot of animes can't move between seasons without a movie to bridge the gap, like Sailor Moon, or Inu Yasha. Or 9 movies, in the case of DragonBall Z. Then there are stand alone films, like Paprika, Perfect Blue and much of Hayao Miyazaki's work. (ie, Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, The Grave of the Fireflies) that are blockbuster worthy films that happen to be animated.

As for there not being alot of black guys, I don't think the black population is as high as it is in North America in Japan. This may be a factor. Some artists don't really draw what they don't know, until they know it better. I don't even know how to draw black features (or guys, really) but I can turn out okay looking girls. That's not even drawing typically anime-style. I could never get the hang of the nose in anime/manga styles!

Also, Japanese people have long idealized pale skin. You can see a refusal of this tradition in the street style yamamba, where Japanese girls will get as tanned as possble, and then paint their faces as dark as possible. Yamamba means "black-face", and those girls are hella scary.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Anyone of you know an anime where there is a character who is a photographer? I saw this screenshot of anime where a character is holding a "Nekon d201" camera but I haven't found out where it is from. It said it was from darker than black 黒の契約者-, Dākā Zan Burakku -Kuro no Keiyakusha-?, lit. "Darker than Black: The Black Contractor" but after watching 10 first episodes I haven't seen it. Any help is appreciated.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by masonicon

the majority of english dubbed anime that western children are exposed to are nothing more than extended comercials for toys. clever marketing. beyblades, yugioh pokemon etc all just adverts for toys. its big business.
but the lessons learnt by the children depend more on them & what they take away from the experience then the tv shows entering their reality tunnels, parents like anyone can only do so much, granted this is true however it ultimately falls upon them to educate their OWN children about television & the way the media portrays things, how it is rarely an honest reflection of society. that not everyone is as 'perfect' in reality, and that every body type is beautiful in its humaness.

Anime is what it is but to deny it as an artform 'worth its salt' is an injustice, grave of the fireflies english dub is atrocious however the japanese audio english subbed version brought the film critic of the new york times to tears and its been highly & widely regarded as one of the best war films of all time.

there are many other notable works of art to come from the world of anime & these include:

anything by 'miyazaki' or studio ghibi, miyazaki justifyably coined as the walt disney of japan. the films feature many famous western actors/resses.

jin roh: the wolf brigade,
memories,
ghost in the shell - steven spielberg is working on live action a.w.s
perfect blue,
Afro samurai (starring samuel l. jackson, music by RZA, lucy lu stars in sequel)
Aoen Flux (series) - also made into live action hollywood film
Battle angel alita
mind game (multiple award winner)
tekkonkinkreet (multiple award winner)
ninja scroll (only the first movie, the others are terrible)
Akira
the Animatrix
Metropolis
Spriggan
Noiseman Sound Insect & the other releases from studio 4C (degrees Celicius)

and for anime that your kids can get positive messages from i suggest the english dubbed release of the 'one piece' series, it features a host of crazy loveable heartwarming characters who all bring something different to the table and play a part in saving the day in all their crazy adventures, teaches kids to love the things about themselves that make them different & unique & to likewise appreciate the same things in others and finally adds a dash of humility & morals inamongst the humour teeaching kids about standing up for whats right & good & for the weak & defenceless. all good things, very clever entertaining show that doesn't talk down to kids or underestimate them. hopefully this show might provide better role models for your kids whilst still being an 'anime' style show....

P.L.U.R.I
-B.Morrison

P.S. i reccomend the english dub version of one piece for ur kids because its toned right down, its alot tamer than the japanese tv version, no profanities & secondly as subtitles are an aquired taste for most people let alone kids....!

[edit on 22/10/09 by B.Morrison]

[edit on 22/10/09 by B.Morrison]

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Never mind my post above. Turns out the show is correct, it's just one episode on the 2nd season.

posted on Oct, 22 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   
my oh my..we need more :

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Miraj

There not white their Japanese. I thought the same thing, but they prefer to have perfect flawless skin which in there eyes is white skinned. Not European white, but just white.

I can always give you some pics of Japanese women that have white skin.

[edit on 23-10-2009 by cenpuppie]

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Miraj
reply to post by masonicon

When it comes to anime.. The last thing I usually notice is their weight.

When it comes to the typical girl power anime there are two factors.

Very large guns, that they couldn't possibly shoot.

Very large breasts that their back couldn't possibly support during all their acrobatics.

And then sometimes they throw in giant robots.

But in anime, its kind of accepted that they don't have many overweight people. As Japan doesn't have many overweight people to begin with. (Watch out for the Sumo!)

But for some reason all the people in japanese anime are white. I never understood this.

There not really white, its just the style and to exaggerate emotion and stuff. I personally think anime would be bring if everybody looked the same, and it would be pro ignorance to make all asian people look the same.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   
If anyone watches anime, watch it subbed. Dont watch anime that are dubbed, as America has ruined its appearance, as America ruins a lot of things as to go so far as to ruin itself, if you havent noticed. The only anime id ever watch dubbed is dbz.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by TheAmazingK

I agree with you, anime becomes absolute crap when dubbed, although dbz is an exception. If you want some good and though provoking anime or some with just plain action heres some.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

Any gundam series

Mushi-shi

B't X

Grappler Baki

Hokuto no Shinken

Fist of the Blue Sky

Marchen Awakens Romance

D Grey man

Too much to list,lol

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by OutlanderHuman24

dbz drags on far too long & i don't recognise any of the films u mentioned :S

posted on Oct, 24 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Whats happen if Spongebob and his Friends meets Robin, Starfire, Beast Boy, Raven, Taichi, Yamato, Sora, Mimi, Koushiro, Joe, Takeru, Hikari, and Homer Simpson?

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 01:39 AM
link   
I just started to watch strike witches, talk about characters. And camera angles

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 07:57 PM
link   

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join