It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

France considers chemical castration for sex offenders

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by EmperorZeno

As great it would be.

I have never heard of a child molester that was cured.

I don't believe we have the psychological knowledge at this point in time to do such things.

But we are getting closer.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Which one do you want to stop? Hurt? Kill?

The person or the disease?

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Castration will do nothing. It isn't a person's body parts that drives him to rape; it is his mind, his psyche. Castration may prevent rape but it will not prevent agression or these other drives.

Ah, finaly someone smart posting here.
The mind alway find its way,so castrating chemicaly might prevent rape, but what about indirect rape with objects as tool ?

Welcome in 1984.

The more i read comments like "kill thems, castrate them" the more i think the world is filled with fanatics .

Humankind is what it is, you cant change it, even if you kill the killers and murderers,nothing gonna change,even if you kill them ALL, they are created by the system itself.

And we are the system.

[edit on 3-10-2009 by OTTOKARMA]

[edit on 3-10-2009 by OTTOKARMA]

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 01:07 AM
link   
This is a dark road that they are traveling down. I can't condone this method of quelling rape. There are some people who have been rehabilitated in prison. Would it be fair to do this to them and ruin a life that they may have after prison. This is an action that maybe deserved by some but what human rights does it violate.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by endisnighe
reply to post by EmperorZeno

I am sorry I do not concur.

I feel ones environment is no excuse to do barbaric, vile and evil things. I know of people and situations where they were raised awful but they chose to not continue with the cycle. Their is no redemption but through holy divinity. They must not be allowed to destroy another life. That is what rape and those things do. It destroys their life. Where a murderer removes a life. For a murderer I could possibly see life in prison-if their were extenuating circumstances. But for the other crap-death.

While generally I think sex crimes should be taken far more seriously by the law than they are, thinking they're a greater evil than murder is just puritanical.

Do you think rape victims should be "mercy killed" too, since their fate is worse than death?

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by JayinAR

In my opinion, this doesn't go far enough.
I would rather see castration via meat cleaver in a public setting, on National TV.

Sorry, that's insane. That's just morbid, it's not showing your love for women and children.

I don't get it.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 01:38 AM
link   
EmperorZeno,

I never said they should be killed, I said they should spend life in prison, I don't agree with murder, even legal murder. Even though I have been the victim of this crime, I still don't believe in murder.

In your example, the son was abused and he grew up with psychological problems that cannot be cured. It is well know and documented. Stop protecting and excusing these deviants. Yes, it is awful what took place to them as children, it is not curable. Then we have those born this way, and nothing can cure them either.

Rape is an aggressive desire to dominate the victim rather than an attempt to achieve sexual fulfillment.

Research states that some men do not ejaculate during rape. This proves that whatever is driving this section of men to rape is more than the sexual drive.

As to your "they were drunk" excuse. We all know, that if you do something while drunk, you would do it sober if the person felt they would not get caught. Drunkenness is NOT a good excuse. Tell me, would you murder someone while sober? Would you murder someone while drunk?

No, sorry those who sexually assault others cannot be cured.

www.yale.edu...

You can find the information in many different places. This is just one.

Sounds like you want to give these people excuses.

One commonly believed myth is that rape is primarily a sexual act. ...... findings have shown that rape is a crime of violence,........ Sexual desire is less a motivation for the man than violent aggression.

ONE OUT OF THREE WOMEN WILL BE SEXUALLY ASSAULTED IN THEIR LIFETIME

So chances are, you know several women who have been victims of this crime, either during their childhood, or during adult hood.

A woman is raped every six minutes.

There are no programs to cure a rapist.

You must understand, I WISH with all my heart that we had a cure for this illness within people. But we don't, and until we 100% do, they should be locked up for life.

Again, I hope for a cure someday, but we do not have one, if you don't think rapist should be in prison for life, then fine, put them in a mental institution, because I agree they have an illness, but they should never ever ever be released back into society until we have a cure that is "foolproof".

Harm None
Peace

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Very difficult to answer because it in turn pose the question of what to do with criminals who keep committing the same offenses. It calls to question what is the real point of the prison system if it is a functional, different, savage world that only worsens him? I think sex crimes would decrease if prostitution was made legal, and if people were more casual about sex.

Castration will not work because we have seen throughout history that harsh punishment does not work. I say humiliate the guy. Make him wear a sign everywhere he goes that says, "Sex Offender Walking." Nothing more painful than humiliation for some people. Of course, this would work against society, as both the sign and registering as a sex offender enforces the outsider image, the unwanted, and thus it will only make him want to do it more. To even kill since society won't accept him any other way.

There is no true way to punish someone. Not even the death sentence is good because it is a way out for the criminal.

The only way - and this may be controversial - I see that works is to either rehabilitate him or reprogram him through extensive shock therapy, turning him into a vegetable, then making him an entirely different person. Of course, this would be expensive but then again, world governments often waste money on more wasteful things anyway.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Their are things worse than murder.

Rape

I disagree, but I see your view point, so I can understand your position. Depending on the situation, rape can be worse than murder if it causes the victim's remaining time on the planet to be so depressing that the person would rather be dead than continue living, but that's not in all cases.

Incest

What kind of incest? What do you base your opinion of this on? Let's say, for example, two siblings grow up with each other, venture out in the world, meet other people, and after a while, they decide they only like each other. You mean to tell me that the consent of two adults wanting to be together is worse than murder simply because they are blood related? What about those who are blood related, yet do not find out until they have been married for many years? Should they be forced to get a divorce and locked up in jail for the rest of their lives, since the crime is supposedly worse than murder? Again, I can see where you may be coming from with this, since there may be some twisted brothers out in the sticks who brainwash their sisters at a young age giving them no choice, but it's not true for all cases, and to say consensual incest is worse than murder is foolish.

Pedophilia

Taken from dictionary.com:

pe⋅do⋅phil⋅i⋅a   /ˌpidəˈfɪliə/
–noun Psychiatry.
sexual desire in an adult for a child.

I'm assuming when you said "pedophilia," you meant "the act of having sex with children who don't know any better" instead of just the thought of it. It's the same as when you think about killing somebody when you get highly emotional but calm yourself down. There are some people out there who, either by genetics or environmental circumstances, have the thought from time to time. Acting upon a dangerous thought makes you a criminal, but resisting and moving past a dangerous thought deserves respect for that person's will, not the label of somebody worse than a murderer.

[edit on 10/3/2009 by SonicInfinity]

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 03:34 AM
link   
I really don't understand why anyone has a problem with this. Hasn't it been shown that rehabilitation generally does not work with sex offenders? Aren't repeat offenders a big problem with this group? What about the victims, many of whom get their own life sentence.
You can argue till you are blue in the face about the causes. And yes, by all means work on that. But in the meantime, kids especially, need protecting.

As for whether it would be effective, well let's try it and see. However the 'sex offender' definition can be quite broad. For example here in the UK, it could apply to a 14 year old having consensual sex with a 13 year old.
Personally I would start with those who force victims into non consensual physical acts.

[edit on 3-10-2009 by unicorn1]

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 04:28 AM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

Rape
Incest
Pedophilia

Just to name a few. They should be killed and all references to their existence wiped from history.

You have my views on this. If I was to be a jurist on a murder trial of a rapist or pedophile, the defendant would get a hug along with their not guilty verdict.

Though I agree with the first part of your quote, I'm not sure I understand the second part - was it a typing error?

But that's beyond the point.

As for chemical castration?

How unimaginative.

It isn't about the penis folks - or testosterone.

It's about violation, and rage and control.

And for those of you have not heard the term *rape by inanimate object* look it up. Enough said...

So forget the chemical castration, unless you forgo the *chemical* part.

Put rapists and child rapists to death and be done with it.

peace

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 04:32 AM
link   
reply to post by unicorn1

Hasn't it been shown that rehabilitation generally does not work with sex offenders? Aren't repeat offenders a big problem with this group? What about the victims, many of whom get their own life sentence.

No, rehab does not work.
Yes, repeat offenders are the biggest problem.
And yes the victims get a life sentence.

Nice little ball you’ve wrapped that all up into.
It’s this kind of logic we need more of.

Applause!

peace

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Its not about sex its about them having power and control over someone.

These people will find another way to show there power and control.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 05:20 AM
link   
reply to post by unicorn1

I really don't understand why anyone has a problem with this. Hasn't it been shown that rehabilitation generally does not work with sex offenders? Aren't repeat offenders a big problem with this group? What about the victims, many of whom get their own life sentence. You can argue till you are blue in the face about the causes. And yes, by all means work on that. But in the meantime, kids especially, need protecting.

You got a brain cancer one day. It turns out that it affects one area in your brain. Then you do something or other. Yada yada yada.

Do you want people to hurt you? Kill you? Cut off your precious? Your nuts?

Or do you want them to kill the disease?

Sure. Let's all make all sex offenders suffer. Burn them at stakes! Make them suffer! Cut off their precious! Sure why not?

Until it happens to you. Your children. Your family.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 06:38 AM
link   
And how exactly does one chemically castrate a woman who has sexually abused a child?

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I think it's a great idea!!! As long as they know for sure that the person raped another person. One of the people around here is on the sex offenders list because he went out back and peed on a tree. I dont think that sex offence (poor old lady was just horrified by that) should have the same end as someone who actually inserts tab a into an unwilling slot b in a violent manner.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 09:11 AM
link   
and what about the ever increasing number of FEMALE rapists and pedofiles?

what happens to them?

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Harlequin
and what about the ever increasing number of FEMALE rapists and pedofiles?

what happens to them?

Yes, this is what I'm trying to get to the bottom of. Perhaps we'll just get militant feminists who believe the black-and-white worldview that men are bad, women are good.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Imo chemical castration won't work unless it chemically melts a part of the brain too. Rehab/confinement is not working either. I mean come on these types of crimes have been going on for generations and the best we can come up with is chemical castration. I don't think there is enough motivation to stop these types of crimes. Probably because offenders come from all walks of life/incomes. Don't want to pass legislation that is too severe in case it comes home to bite you or your friends in the a$$.

Idk why but it's just not a priority for our lawmakers. They need to stop dragging their feet and do something to make a difference instead of just plodding along like they are. I am getting so sick & disgusted hearing these stories over & over. Garrido should have never been free. Some always resort to the argument about the convicted innocent guy. Seems to me they might have something there maybe the innocent ones are in jail and the guilty ones like Garrido are walking free.

Something more needs to be done. I think we are looking at a real serious epidemic of sorts especially with the numbers of homeless families on the rise.
Homeless Ga. sex offenders directed to woods
www.krdo.com...

Because of strict laws regulating sex offenders Marietta has prohibited residency. Parole officers were directing offenders to illegal camps. They have since been ordered to move and the sheriffs only comment was he did not know where the sex offenders would go next. WTH if these guys were bad enough to not allow residency why are they not registered? Now Georgia just sends them on their way....out of sight out of mind. These guys are going to migrate to family type camps sites. Isn't it bad enough so many families are homeless now they will have to deal with these types on the loose. I say if sex offenders are not going to be held indefinitely or put to death then round them up into FEMA camps until something better can be done. It's simply cruel & negligent to keep inflicting them on the public.

My conclusion is the ones who can make a difference simply do not care. As long as the majority of victims comes from the general populace and not from the elite class nothing will be done. We are fodder or a means to an end which is all about profit. Prisons are in place to make money not rehabilitate. Everything is about money any changes made are for the bottom line and not for real improvement.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

The question is..

Is it their sex drive that compels them to commit these acts? In some cases, yes. But since rape is mostly about control, I think they might still commit these acts regardless of their sexual drive. As long as they can get an erection they will probably continue.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join