It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

France considers chemical castration for sex offenders

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   

France considers chemical castration for sex offenders

www.independent.co.uk

France is considering forcing some sex offenders to undergo chemical castration, Prime Minister Francois Fillon said today, days after a brutal murder by a recently released prisoner.

A 42-year-old woman jogging in Fontainebleau forest near Paris was abducted on Monday and strangled to death by a recently released rapist, who has confessed to the crime, police say.

Justice Minister Michele Alliot-Marie and the spokesman for the ruling UMP party have both called for compulsory chemical castration for some offenders, and Fillon said the government was preparing legislation.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I would be very interested in hearing your thoughts on this story . Is it going to far ? Would castration even work ? I can recall hearing on some talk show an offender stating that he would welcome castration as a means to quell his abusive tendencies . I don't think thats the common consensus among sex offenders but would some chose the path of castration , probably a slim percent would .

Would castration prove to serve the intended goal ? I don't know ?
I was always lead to believe that sex offenders tend to act on aggressive feelings as means to obtain a sense of power at the expense of there victim , not just acting on some sexual need . Could castration create the need in these types of people to seek out and fulfill an even greater need to fulfill a sense of power ?

If a person is that great of risk to society then perhaps laws should be put in place that would allow the courts the ability to hold them indefinitely ?

I wonder , has there ever been a study done on the effectiveness of castration ? Should the State have the right to force castration on an individual , chemical or otherwise ?

www.independent.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Rape needs to stop
Rapists are the worst people on the planet

As long as this is done will with thorough investigations and a flawless court system I am okay with this.

Unfortunately this is unlikely
So I guess i'm not for it

But do real rapists deserve this?

Yes, and much worse!
I hope all rapists disintegrate into extremely flammable dust particles.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Their are things worse than murder.

Rape
Incest
Pedophilia

Just to name a few. They should be killed and all references to their existence wiped from history.

You have my views on this. If I was to be a jurist on a murder trial of a rapist or pedophile, the defendant would get a hug along with their not guilty verdict.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by endisnighe

Rape
Incest
Pedophilia

Just to name a few. They should be killed and all references to their existence wiped from history.

You have my views on this. If I was to be a jurist on a murder trial of a rapist or pedophile, the defendant would get a hug along with their not guilty verdict.

Umm, don't agree. People that fall into those categories should be given psychological help. They are not born that way and do not deserve to die just because of the way they were brought up.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by EmperorZeno

I am sorry I do not concur.

I feel ones environment is no excuse to do barbaric, vile and evil things. I know of people and situations where they were raised awful but they chose to not continue with the cycle. Their is no redemption but through holy divinity. They must not be allowed to destroy another life. That is what rape and those things do. It destroys their life. Where a murderer removes a life. For a murderer I could possibly see life in prison-if their were extenuating circumstances. But for the other crap-death.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Normally I would be all for death for rapists and serious sex offenders, but then I had a thought....

My only concern is What if the person is wrongly accused?

someone was chemically castrated and then was found to be innocent later, then what?

But personally, if they did do it, even this is to good for them.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

I say that's good for them. A rusty knife would still be too good for them but I do think they are barking up the correct tree. So long it's abeyond a shadow of a doubt they did it.

[edit on 2-10-2009 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows]

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 11:11 PM
link   
So am I right in assuming that many of you would look at castration as a means of punishment rather then a form of reabillation ?

If thats the case , then why not keep them behind bars ? I see this chemical castration as a means of the government , in this case the French government , of dealing with a problem by letting people out of jail , a way of washing there hands of the matter , no ?

I had asked earlier if castration actually stops these types of people from committing crimes of assault , because in the end wether we like it or not , castration would be a means to release these types of people from jail .

However , seeing how many of the posters seem to endorse the notion of castration as a means of punishment , I would say sure castrate the bastards ! But , I don't see it being used in that fashion . It would only serve as a tool to the government releasing these people back onto the street .

[edit on 2-10-2009 by Max_TO]

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I haven't read a single post in this thread.
I don't want my comments to be filtered in any way by considering the feelings of another in a situation such as this.

In my opinion, this doesn't go far enough.
I would rather see castration via meat cleaver in a public setting, on National TV.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

So am I right in assuming that many of you would look at castration as a means of punishment rather then a form of reabillation ?

Rehabilitation cannot be given, it can only be done by the perpetrator. Our society has perpetrated a joke upon us. Our justice system is for protecting the rights of the accused-which is all fine and dandy. But what about the victims or the possible future victims of these sick individuals. Look at the man that abducted a 12 year old and kept her prisoner for like 16 years and had two children with her. Death is the right punishment and solution to possible future victims. That man was on parole for the very same crime of pedophilia. These people make me sick.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 11:19 PM
link   
The state of Georgia was doing that some years ago. It wasn't routine but it happened. Some with deviant issues even agreed to it.

It has medical implications for the person - depo can cause some pretty bad heart problems, mood problems, ect.

Also, it was only what I'd call limited with success. The perps aren't always thwarted because of ED - I know of 2 that still had urges to molest children with their hands and objects.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

My question is, will being chemically crastated going to stop men from the violence they want to inflict upon others, Is it anger or hate or maybe some sort of out of control hormones? I'm a rather simple person, so my simple answer is to just take such people out of society forever. If you feel the need to chemically castrate them, I don't care, but just remove these folks for the rest of their lives, from society. Don't even take a chance that they might disrupt others' lives and create hardship and psychological problems for others, just to save the puke who has a serious problem that he can't control, whether he has a penis or a nonfunctioning penis. Ask any woman, or man, who has been raped, No matter what was going thru the mind or the rapist, it' s all about what the victim experieced and hated.

I only have met one woman who liked to be raped. And that was a pretend situation. No doubt, if it was for real, she wouldn't have enjoyed it. A real rapist doesnt know what your "safe" word means.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Castration will do nothing. It isn't a person's body parts that drives him to rape; it is his mind, his psyche. Castration may prevent rape but it will not prevent agression or these other drives. Take away a murder's axe and what do you get? A murderer with incentive to find a new way to kill, a new way to fulfill his or her agression.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by hadriana

I can't see castration working either . I say keep them locked up , if you want to castrate them as well as a means of punishment , I could see myself agreeing with that . Just as long as we were keeping them locked up and not releasing these people simply because they were castrated . I don't see it working or doing anything to stop these types of people from going on to abuse again .

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I can't help but feel like the people supporting this choose to personify human emotions and motivations. "Good" and "evil" don't exist. A "bad" person doesn't exist just like a "good" person doesn't exist. Of course, "rape" does constitute as something most people would believe to be "bad" or "not good" but what is rape? It is selfish, violent, agressive. Plenty of people are selfish, violent, and agressive. I think all people have a inner drive to be selfish and self-indulge themselves, and rape is just an extreme form. I am not promoting rape or saying it is good (it is selfish and uncaring so in my eyes it is obviously bad) but that doesn't mean I have the right to judge people as having good or bad intentions. Intention doesn't even always equate to outcome.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by EmperorZeno

Rape
Incest
Pedophilia

Umm, don't agree. People that fall into those categories should be given psychological help. They are not born that way and do not deserve to die just because of the way they were brought up.

Uhm no, it is proven that people with these disorders can never be "helped". Even with chemical castration, the sad thing is, many still commit these crimes, but use other objects to do so.

They should be locked away for life, no chance of ever returning back to society, even with chemical castration or otherwise.

No amount of "help" ever stops them.

Harm None
Peace

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 11:53 PM
link   
I believe this isent the right thing to do. I do believe that rapists, child molesters should either be murdered or get chemical castration. But what about the court cases were people are proven guilty when innocent. We only are judged by the jury. Which are just normal people. If they said guilty when someone was just in the wrong place at the wrong time, that person would suffer chemical castration. That would be horrible. And dont say people that are innocent dont get judged as guilty. People are corrupt. It has happened before.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by amazed

Originally posted by EmperorZeno

Rape
Incest
Pedophilia

Uhm no, it is proven that people with these disorders can never be "helped". Even with chemical castration, the sad thing is, many still commit these crimes, but use other objects to do so.

They should be locked away for life, no chance of ever returning back to society, even with chemical castration or otherwise.

No amount of "help" ever stops them.

Harm None
Peace

Where is your proof? Let's say someone gets drunk one night and rapes someone, should that person be killed? Rape is terrible, but the person committing it needs their past to be evaluated. For example, if a mother sexually abused her son, and then the son sexually abused his daughter. It is still disgusting, but there is a reason for it, ant it CAN be fixed with therapy.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 12:15 AM
link   
This is a very complex issue.

I believe that the most evil people on the planet are those who prey upon children, in whatever way, whether it be mental, emotional, physical or psychological.

So a rapist of children does not deserve to have any rights, because what rights does that child have? The child's trust, innocence, belief in the world, confidence etc etc etc has been destroyed. In fact, in some cases the whole child has been destroyed, even if they were not actually killed.

But then there huge complications - if a rapist turned out that way because someone abused them as a child - do they deserve to be punished yet again?

And a lot of rape originates through wishing to hold power over people and is not just a sexual thing - I could go on forever.

So what I am saying is that I do not know whether chemical castration would help in any way, or would it just cause more people to suffer?

What I DO know, however, is this pc policy of releasing 'reformed' prisoners is just plain wrong. How many go on to commit horrific crimes? Far too many.

Life imprisonment should mean exactly that. People deserve the right to be protected from these people.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join