It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your Defense Against H1N1 sans Vaccination: Vitamin D

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Vitamin D is a steroid hormone that has antimicrobial and antiviral properties. It doesn't directly kill viruses and bacteria; however, it's effectiveness stems from it's stimulation of the production of antimicrobial peptides.

Antimicrobial peptides have been demonstrated to kill Gram negative and Gram positive bacteria (including strains that are resistant to conventional antibiotics), mycobacteria (including Mycobacterium tuberculosis), enveloped viruses, fungi and even transformed or cancerous cells.

Research suggests that Vitamin D deficiency(affecting almost 70% of the population) strongly increases the susceptibility of respiratory infections, including Influenza. Epidemic Influenza and Vitamin D

Ultraviolet radiation (either from artificial sources or from sunlight) reduces the incidence of viral respiratory infections, as does cod liver oil (which contains vitamin D). An interventional study showed that vitamin D reduces the incidence of respiratory infections in children. We conclude that vitamin D, or lack of it, may be Hope-Simpson's ‘seasonal stimulus’.

Many health professionals believe Vitamin D to be your best defense against seasonal flu and H1N1. Unfortunately, not many people are aware of Vitamin D and health. Vitamin D myths, facts and statistics:

1. Vitamin D is produced by your skin in response to exposure to ultraviolet radiation from natural sunlight.
2. The healing rays of natural sunlight (that generate vitamin D in your skin) cannot penetrate glass. So you don't generate vitamin D when sitting in your car or home.
3. It is nearly impossible to get adequate amounts of vitamin D from your diet.
4. Sunlight exposure is the only reliable way to generate vitamin D in your own body.
5. A person would have to drink ten tall glasses of vitamin D fortified milk each day just to get minimum levels of vitamin D into their diet.
5. The further you live from the equator, the longer exposure you need to the sun in order to generate vitamin D. Canada, the UK and most U.S. states are far from the equator.
7. People with dark skin pigmentation may need 20 - 30 times as much exposure to sunlight as fair-skinned people to generate the same amount of vitamin D. That's why prostate cancer is epidemic among black men -- it's a simple, but widespread, sunlight deficiency.
8. Sufficient levels of vitamin D are crucial for calcium absorption in your intestines. Without sufficient vitamin D, your body cannot absorb calcium, rendering calcium supplements useless.
9. Chronic vitamin D deficiency cannot be reversed overnight: it takes months of vitamin D supplementation and sunlight exposure to rebuild the body's bones and nervous system.
10. Even weak sunscreens (SPF=8) block your body's ability to generate vitamin D by 95%. This is how sunscreen products actually cause disease -- by creating a critical vitamin deficiency in the body.
11. It is impossible to generate too much vitamin D in your body from sunlight exposure: your body will self-regulate and only generate what it needs.
12. If it hurts to press firmly on your sternum, you may be suffering from chronic vitamin D deficiency right now.
13. Vitamin D is "activated" in your body by your kidneys and liver before it can be used.
14. Having kidney disease or liver damage can greatly impair your body's ability to activate circulating vitamin D.
15. The sunscreen industry doesn't want you to know that your body actually needs sunlight exposure because that realization would mean lower sales of sunscreen products.
16. Even though vitamin D is one of the most powerful healing chemicals in your body, your body makes it absolutely free. No prescription required.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Here's three ways you can achieve adequate Vitamin D levels:

-regularly receive midday sun exposure in the late spring, summer, and early fall, exposing as much of the skin as possible.

-regularly use a sun bed (avoiding sunburn) during the colder months.

-take 5,000 IU per day for three months, then obtain a 25-hydroxyvitamin D test. Adjust your dosage so that blood levels are between 50–80 ng/mL (or 125–200 nM/L) year-round.

If you're considering avoiding the seasonal flu vaccine and/or the H1N1 vaccine, this is a way to ensure your body has the proper defense systems to protect against infection.

Edit to add: Review the links provided to educated yourself on the other benefits of Vitamin D, like Cancer Prevention.

-Dev

[edit on 2-10-2009 by DevolutionEvolvd]

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Most milk is also enriched with vitamin D. Is there any conspiracy to the fact that milk recently became extremely expensive overnight?

Hmmmm.....

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Well, unfortunately, Milk can't provide enough vitamin D to do much good. In fact, unless you're drinking whole milk your probably not getting much at all. Vitamin D is fat-soluble and there's a reason why milk is Fatty.

-Dev

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by DevolutionEvolvd

According to Dr. Deagle it is actually Vitamin D3 that your body needs to defend itself against a host of ailments. Magnesium chloride, Amino Acids - L, seaweed and trans-Resveratrol with a good amount of Vit C daily also helps.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Just start walking in the early afternoon/late morning. That's when UV-a rays are at it's peak, and in a matter of minutes, you'll be producing 1,000's of IU's vitamin-d. Just don't wipe off the sweat for a while. It's in it, and needs to be absorbed over time.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Egyptia

Multiple studies have suggested that D2 may be more beneficial than D3, however, the jury isn't out yet.

I know vit C and other nutrients do well against infections but current research is pointing toward vitamin D as being the most important. Especially considering the number of people that are deficient.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Whole milk is all I drink. I see no reason why I should pay just as much for something that tastes watered down.

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 07:48 PM
link   

The other thing is eliminating suger from your diet and anything that is too processed. Our copper and magnesium levels have been vastly depleted as a result of these two things amongst other factors of toxins that we are forced to live with. Processed foods and suger cause inflammation and a decrease in our minerals which set the body up for diseases. According to some of what I have read you know when your body is lacking in it's essential minerals when your hair begins to go grey or white. That is a good time to start supplementing.

My sister is only one year older than me and she is completely white. I have been supplementing my body for years and do not eat suger as well as trying to stay away from processed foods. I don't have a single white hair. She also eats meat and I don't. I don't know if that is also a factor but it makes one wonder.

[edit on 2-10-2009 by Egyptia]

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
Most milk is also enriched with vitamin D. Is there any conspiracy to the fact that milk recently became extremely expensive overnight?

Hmmmm.....

TheRedneck

You might want to consider organic milk and dairy products in general:

www.preventcancer.com...

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I audit medical records. After a 1 1/2 year leave, I am now seeing physicians checking vitamin D levels and prescribing. Usually it is only 1000 mg a day but I have seen one order 5000.

This is an extremely good turn of events in my book.

Myself, I take 4000 a day...except the days I forget. Which should make it still okay as I am small.

S&F. Do hope more people become aware of this. As always, nature knows best.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   
How to Avoid The H1N1 Swine Flu With Vitamins And Supplements

Take Vitamin D which improves immunity to H1N1 flu by increasing production of antimicrobial agents in the body. These antimicrobials can fight swine flu and other types of influenza. It’s no coincidence that flu season coincides with the lowest annual levels of Vitamin D. To ramp up your immune system, take 2000-5000 mg a day of Vitamin D. The best form of Vitamin D to use is D3.

Also included in the link provided are more ways to avoid swine flu through the use of other supplements.

-Dev

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Here's a link to a thread I started ~6 months ago after swine flu became all the rage.

Ascorbic Acid

It's a bit disorganized, but has information on how vitamin-c can greatly diminish the severity of flu, and prevent secondary infections.

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 03:33 AM
link   
bacteriality.com...

I've been reading a lot about Vitamin D, and the article above is conflicting with some of the other studies I've been reading.

Let’s start with this fact: the vast majority of doctors touting the benefits of vitamin D are not aware of discoveries made by researchers in the field of molecular biology, which have clearly shown that the “vitamin” D derived from diet and supplements is not a vitamin, but a steroid with immunosuppressive properties when elevated.[2]

I am hung up on what to really believe here. In the mean time I am still taking Vitamin D. Also, I've read in another topic of people taking 5k units + per day and still getting sick just as easy as before.

Not to be Mr. Negative here, but I would like to know all the truth.

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 03:39 AM
link   
Which Vitamin D can only be taken through direct contact with sunlight. Is D3 or D4?

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 04:31 AM
link   
You can take D3 as a supplement, thats what I take.

Im not sure about D4

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Therapeutic vitamin forms of vitamin D will not be available anywhere after Dec. 31, 2009. The Codex Alimentarius will go into effect at that time.

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alethea
Therapeutic vitamin forms of vitamin D will not be available anywhere after Dec. 31, 2009. The Codex Alimentarius will go into effect at that time.

Unless they pull a Mr. Burns, they can't take away the Sun. Merely promote the dangers of sun exposure out of proportion to change our behavior. We'll get our fill, even if by accident somehow. See the bright side, for we must.

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by xstealth
bacteriality.com...

I've been reading a lot about Vitamin D, and the article above is conflicting with some of the other studies I've been reading.

Let’s start with this fact: the vast majority of doctors touting the benefits of vitamin D are not aware of discoveries made by researchers in the field of molecular biology, which have clearly shown that the “vitamin” D derived from diet and supplements is not a vitamin, but a steroid with immunosuppressive properties when elevated.[2]

It's still a vitamin, whether it's a hormone or not, as vitamins are all different types of organic compounds.

Upon reading this very well-written blog post that you've provided, I think it's become clear that further investigation is needed. Indeed, most of the studies I have seen concerning vitamin D's efficacy on health improvements have been merely observational evidence, simply suggesting that a correlation between low vitamin D levels and poor health exists.

So there may be an underlying cause here.

Also, I've read in another topic of people taking 5k units + per day and still getting sick just as easy as before.

There could be many reasons for that, independent of Vitamin D intake, such as sugar intake.

Thanks for the article. Now you've got me really researching. As it turns out, biochemists are typically the guys who get these kinds of things right while epidemiologists just confuse correlation with causation.

-Dev

[edit on 2-11-2009 by DevolutionEvolvd]

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Third Eye
Which Vitamin D can only be taken through direct contact with sunlight. Is D3 or D4?

Ultra-violet light stimulates the synthesis of Vitamin D3, which can also be taken orally.

-Dev

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by DevolutionEvolvd

Thanks for the article. Now you've got me really researching. As it turns out, biochemists are typically the guys who get these kinds of things right while epidemiologists just confuse correlation with causation.

-Dev

[edit on 2-11-2009 by DevolutionEvolvd]

Have you found anymore information lately? I am still looking as well, still don't know what to think about this.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join