Vitamin D is a steroid hormone that has antimicrobial and antiviral properties. It doesn't directly kill viruses and bacteria; however, it's
effectiveness stems from it's stimulation of the production of antimicrobial
Antimicrobial peptides have been demonstrated to kill Gram negative and Gram positive bacteria (including strains that are resistant to
conventional antibiotics), mycobacteria (including Mycobacterium tuberculosis), enveloped viruses, fungi and even transformed or cancerous
Research suggests that Vitamin D deficiency(affecting almost 70% of the population) strongly increases the susceptibility of respiratory infections,
Influenza and Vitamin D
Many health professionals
Ultraviolet radiation (either from artificial sources or from sunlight) reduces the incidence of viral respiratory infections, as does cod liver
oil (which contains vitamin D). An interventional study showed that vitamin D reduces the incidence of respiratory infections in children. We conclude
that vitamin D, or lack of it, may be Hope-Simpson's ‘seasonal stimulus’.
believe Vitamin D to be your best defense against seasonal flu and H1N1.
Unfortunately, not many people are aware of Vitamin D and health. Vitamin D myths, facts and
1. Vitamin D is produced by your skin in response to exposure to ultraviolet radiation from natural sunlight.
2. The healing rays of natural sunlight (that generate vitamin D in your skin) cannot penetrate glass. So you don't generate vitamin D when sitting
in your car or home.
3. It is nearly impossible to get adequate amounts of vitamin D from your diet.
4. Sunlight exposure is the only reliable way to generate vitamin D in your own body.
5. A person would have to drink ten tall glasses of vitamin D fortified milk each day just to get minimum levels of vitamin D into their diet.
5. The further you live from the equator, the longer exposure you need to the sun in order to generate vitamin D. Canada, the UK and most U.S. states
are far from the equator.
7. People with dark skin pigmentation may need 20 - 30 times as much exposure to sunlight as fair-skinned people to generate the same amount of
vitamin D. That's why prostate cancer is epidemic among black men -- it's a simple, but widespread, sunlight deficiency.
8. Sufficient levels of vitamin D are crucial for calcium absorption in your intestines. Without sufficient vitamin D, your body cannot absorb
calcium, rendering calcium supplements useless.
9. Chronic vitamin D deficiency cannot be reversed overnight: it takes months of vitamin D supplementation and sunlight exposure to rebuild the
body's bones and nervous system.
10. Even weak sunscreens (SPF=8) block your body's ability to generate vitamin D by 95%. This is how sunscreen products actually cause disease -- by
creating a critical vitamin deficiency in the body.
11. It is impossible to generate too much vitamin D in your body from sunlight exposure: your body will self-regulate and only generate what it needs.
12. If it hurts to press firmly on your sternum, you may be suffering from chronic vitamin D deficiency right now.
13. Vitamin D is "activated" in your body by your kidneys and liver before it can be used.
14. Having kidney disease or liver damage can greatly impair your body's ability to activate circulating vitamin D.
15. The sunscreen industry doesn't want you to know that your body actually needs sunlight exposure because that realization would mean lower sales
of sunscreen products.
16. Even though vitamin D is one of the most powerful healing chemicals in your body, your body makes it absolutely free. No prescription
required.Please visit the link provided for the complete story.
Here's three ways you can achieve adequate Vitamin D levels:
-regularly receive midday sun exposure in the late spring, summer, and early fall, exposing as much of the skin as possible.
-regularly use a sun bed (avoiding sunburn) during the colder months.
-take 5,000 IU per day for three months, then obtain a 25-hydroxyvitamin D test. Adjust your dosage so that blood levels are between 50–80 ng/mL (or
125–200 nM/L) year-round.
If you're considering avoiding the seasonal flu vaccine and/or the H1N1 vaccine, this is a way to ensure your body has the proper defense systems to
protect against infection.
Edit to add: Review the links provided to educated yourself on the other benefits of Vitamin D, like Cancer Prevention.
[edit on 2-10-2009 by DevolutionEvolvd]