It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CBS producer pleads not guilty to trying to blackmail Letterman

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   

CBS producer pleads not guilty to trying to blackmail Letterman

www.cnn.com

The CBS producer accused of trying to extort $2 million from "Late Show" host David Letterman pleaded not guilty in a Manhattan courtroom. The producer, Robert Joel Halderman, allegedly told Letterman last month that he would disclose Letterman's dalliances with his show's staffers unless he paid the money.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Letterman did the right thing in making a public confession of his "dalliances", not that he did anything illegal.

Halderman produces 48 Hours, I wonder, if during his little criminal enterprise, he ever bothered to learn anything from his own show on how they catch crooks?

Halderman is now facing 15 years.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

Yea... the way David Letterman handled this was Greatness.

It was funny

It might hurt him a little in his personal life with his girlfriend, and their might be a CBS policy against relationships in the work place,

But David Letterman comes out victorious in this ordeal.

A honest confession is all the people need to hear. And if the confession has some humor behind it, then so be it.

Great Show.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   
The amount of media coverage this is getting is absurd, but it's not really surprising. By covering this most of the time, they don't have to cover the other issues that really matter.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Wow, it's a damned good thing that none of Sarah Palin's daughters worked on the CBS staff.

Now that would have been a scandal!

Tonight's top ten list...

Top ten Female staffers Letterman had sex with

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I don't like this whole situation. Letterman should not get off so easy. His past actions should be put under a microscope. He most likely took advantage of these women even though it was probably also consensual. He is a man of poor character. Not even close to funny.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Letterman should not get off so easy. His past actions should be put under a microscope.

It's sex between consenting adults. Why should Letterman or anyone who has a relationship with someone live in fear of reprisals? These affairs occurred before he was married. Workplaces might frown on the practice but there's no law against it.

He most likely took advantage of these women even though it was probably also consensual.

That's a mighty big assumption. It could easily have been a woman taking advantage of him as well. Or it could just be two humans doing what all humans do.

[edit on 2-10-2009 by Blackmarketeer]

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

That's a mighty big assumption. It could easily have been a woman taking advantage of him as well. Or it could just be two humans doing what all humans do.

Or even more likely it was him taking advantage of his position. But that is why it should be looked in to. Were these women promoted under unusual circumstances? You are right though, I shouldn't jump to conclusions.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   
When I heard about this story earlier today, I kinda' chuckled.
I thought to myself... . o 0 (Watch now as the media rips into this story, but I'll just have to laugh as they are ripping into one of their own)

Yeah folks, this is the MSM. A producer of a "news" show is going to be found guilty of extortion.

How do I know that he will be found guilty? Letterman wrote him a check, at the request of the authorities investigating the case, and the scumbag took it. Admiting guilt.

I can't believe he has the nerve to plea not guilty. I guess he thinks that his crooked buddies will get him out of it. Not happening.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I'm sure he's guilty, but I don't really have much sympathy for Letterman. If you're sleeping with your employees behind your wife's back, you gotta be ready for what's coming to you.

He should still be prosecuted though.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Donnie Darko

You can't be prosecuted for having sexual relations with a co-worker!
That is ridiculous.
Also, this stuff happened well before he was married.
The rest is between he and his wife. Nobody else.
Sorta like how they got Bill Clinton. Why in the world was he in any kind of hotwater for having sex with someone?
It was nobody's business.
It wasn't your's or my business then and this isn't our business now.

He won't be prosecuted.

[edit on 2-10-2009 by JayinAR]

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 07:01 PM
link   
I meant the extorter should be prosecuted.

Letterman should just be ashamed of himself.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Donnie Darko

Oh, I see.
Sorry for the confusion. I misread your post.

I'm not so sure that Letterman should be ashamed of himself. I was just giving a worst-case scenario. In reality, I know nothing of his relationship and I won't presume to.
Maybe this happened before he even met his wife? Maybe he and his wife had an open dating relationship?

I don't know any details and it isn't any of my business to speculate on them, other than to tell you why I have no criticism of his actions.

The only dude who was wrong here was the extortionist. I hope they throw the book at him, because from where I sit, he is doubly wrong as he, as a news man, carries the responsibility of not doing things to create news.
This was obviously a news creating event. Thus, a conflict of interest for himself and his company.
He investigated Letterman's behavior and once he realized that the actual news story would be dead in the water, tried to extort the man. And he was busted.
I hope he spends a LONG, LONG time behind bars.

And he may. Letterman is a powerful man. Now, if this thing had happened to me (which it wouldn't as I am not important enough for people to give a crap about the fact that I had an affair) he most certainly would get away with it.
But he won't in this case.

Remember what happened when Palin tried to get Letterman fired? He is still getting the "last laugh" almost every night on his show.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 07:15 PM
link   
According to Letterman's own account, the extortionist threatened to write a script about Letterman's sexual adventures -- as if there were not enough horror movies already.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Walkswithfish:

LOL...I though something very similar....can't wait to read Palin's tweets on this....but then she'd be contradicting herself about media and private life wouldn't she?
Don't think she'll understand that though

Donnie Darko:

Letterman should just be ashamed of himself.

Ahhhh....maybe, maybe not. Who know's.....perhaps he and his then girlfriend had an open relationship. Perhaps the girl was the instigator ( the, if I ever get the chance to sleep with a celeb it would be scenario).

I'm sure more will come to light soon, but we'll never know the whole story. The fact that Dave came forward himself says alot methinks. Also, he not someone that preaches morality and then gets caught doing the exact opposite as many public figures do. Infact Dave is the first one to put himself down and say he's not a great role model.

The slimebag here is the EXTORTIONIST!!!!

This is yet another example of MSM pushing what they think will sell....

[edit on 2-10-2009 by Connector]

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by stander

Exactly.
The guy was threatening to make a non-issue into a news"worthy" event.

But realized that he would be better served to just extort the money from Letterman himself.

People should be wondering just how often things like this occur.
Letterman played it smart.
He knew he didn't do anything wrong and he confronted corruption head on.

Letterman - integrity. MSM - without.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

Maybe this happened before he even met his wife?

Nah....he's been with the same girl since arournd '86 I think.....agree with the rest though.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 07:37 PM
link   
It's not a big deal though. I've always thought Letterman was a d*ck and unfunny anyway, there's way more important things going on though. Who cares!

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Here's the skinny on the girl....she seems to be horrified that her ex-boyfriend...the extortionist...tried to do this....

www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Connector

So, this girl was involved with both men.

I suspect she won't be with the show much longer. And I'll leave it at that.

As she said, "Dave is a great boss."
You're damned right he is. I can tell as much from one thing that I know he did for his employees.
He spent TONS of dough of his own money to continue to pay his staff during the writers' strike.

That is a good boss. No matter what can be said. If I were half as funny as the man and half as capable of providing security for others, I'm sure women would want to sleep with me as well.
I just wonder if this woman is, in any way, involved with this.

If so, she is a slime ball.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join