It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anti-Wi-Fi paint keeps your wireless signal to yourself

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Anti-Wi-Fi paint keeps your wireless signal to yourself

tech.yahoo.com

Don't like the idea of your neighbors rudely snooping on the wireless signal you slaved to pay for from the lazy comfort of their living room? It's not just about slowing down your connection; while they're downloading Mad Men via bittorrent, you could be on the hook for their actions.

Wireless security and encryption systems are fraught with problems and insecurity, and other methods to restrict your signal to a small area are cumbersome at best.

Enter a new solution: Anti-Wi-Fi paint.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Say hello to the new tin foil hat. This stuff can block signals all the way to 100GHz. That includes cell phone signals. A 200GHz version is in the works.

Other devices that this should block include cordless phones, remote controls that use microwave signals, portable two way radios, wireless security systems, and Bluetooth.

Personally I like the idea of being able to block all of the harmful microwave radiation that we have all over the place in our modern wireless society.

Edit: Wanted to add that the paint should also block GPS signals.

tech.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 2/10/09 by MikeboydUS]

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Super neat!

Now that is a great thing.... Something that could be used to stop the Feds from snooping too...

Or one could just have some fun playing with this paint at WiFi hot spots...

SUPER COOL!

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
What a dumb idea.

There are at least two methods of encryption in modern routers which are extremely hard to defeat (and virtually impossible if you use a long key), plus you can always program authorized MACs into the router as well. This one is pretty impossible to crack and comes on top of encryption. Good luck neighbors.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

I don't think you see the larger Picture...

Imagine going places that have a No Cell phone policy like movie theaters and such... Now they can enforce this rule with the new paint...

Imagine the Prank value.

Repaint you roommates room with this stuff and let him wonder why he can't get signal anymore?

Seriously I want some of this paint NOW!

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

I think it will find far greater application than just blocking illegal internet access. I can already think of dozens of security and military applications for the stuff.

If it can be applied to vehicles it will have even more applications.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   
In the house I live, we receive most of the wireless signal through the windows (thank God there are plenty), because the insulation shield on the house (which is under the siding) has a robust layer of aluminum in it. It's standard in modern frame buildings (Aluminum shields the infrared).

Unless you are willing to shutter the windows, paint won't be effective anyway.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Fantastic!

Beats building a Faraday cage. Of course those pesky windows are still going to leak RF through...

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by titorite

I want some to cause mischief. That seems like good times.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   
No more cell phones at the movies?!?! Count me in!
As for home use, the most basic wifi router has some pretty hefty security built in. You just have to take the 5 minutes it takes to learn about it.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Very good find OP

I like this too, I think I would paint my room with this... Sleep in peace for once maybe?

I think there would be a problem with my cell not working inside tho :-\ Thats my livlihood right there.

new topics

top topics

join