It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US relinquishes control of the internet

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   
www.guardian.co.uk...

After complaints about American dominance of the internet and growing disquiet in some parts of the world, Washington has said it will relinquish some control over the way the network is run and allow foreign governments more of a say in the future of the system.

Okay, so Washington will cower down to complaints from people outside the country. Yet, when millions of taxpayers protest against giving banks and big business bail out money, Washington does not listen. That is messed up!

And what kind of problems can come from having international companies have more power over the internet? Some countries have higher instance of internet hacking than others. Who is monitoring this?

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Well since the majority of these foriegn powers don't believe in freedom of speech or the press, our rights will be curtailed by an international law.
One more step to the destruction of our liberty.

Where is our military, they have abandoned their people and violated their oaths and are no longer effective for us the people.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I think it is very Nice of the American Federal Empire to release control of something which they do not control....

Despite rumors to the contrary the internet is not a "system of Tubes." It is not owned by the Federal Government. Their is no internet kill switch.

Only programmers control the net.

[edit on 2-10-2009 by titorite]

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
The first couple of posts in this thread are missing the entire point of this.

This isn't about the US having "control over the internet" as a network, because they don't anyway. There is no such thing as the "internet" anyway. It's lots of different networks connected together by a common protocol.

This particular news peice specifically is on about US involvement in ICAAN, the body setup to regulate the "internet", such as it is, and deal with domain naming and addressing.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I smell an uprising of hackers.

2nd line

[edit on 2-10-2009 by Zenlike]

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 01:41 AM
link   
I feel that the internet should be govern by itself. There should be no governing body to the internet. It should be independent. There should be no censoring or the control of content on the internet.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by spiritwomyn

Where is our military, they have abandoned their people and violated their oaths and are no longer effective for us the people.

You want the military to take action because the US is letting other countries have a say in how the internet is ran?

Kind of being a drama queen aren't you?

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by bigvig316

i take side of half of that besides the not controlling content part which should go for the youngsters. >.>

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jessicamsa
www.guardian.co.uk...

After complaints about American dominance of the internet and growing disquiet in some parts of the world, Washington has said it will relinquish some control over the way the network is run and allow foreign governments more of a say in the future of the system.

Okay, so Washington will cower down to complaints from people outside the country. Yet, when millions of taxpayers protest against giving banks and big business bail out money, Washington does not listen. That is messed up!

And what kind of problems can come from having international companies have more power over the internet? Some countries have higher instance of internet hacking than others. Who is monitoring this?

You make a really good point. Say China gains so-called "control" over the Internet. They apply one of their bans of all things politically aware, does the whole World have to censor itself? And what if, when China has control, hackers across the internet suddenly rise 10 fold. China says it isn't them and they see no problem. Then what?

Then again as I put control in quotes back there, I was not aware that the Internet was under American control. I knew Al Gore said he invented the Internet, but I didn't know he was serious

Originally posted by bigvig316
I feel that the internet should be govern by itself. There should be no governing body to the internet. It should be independent. There should be no censoring or the control of content on the internet.

I agree, but that's what everybody who loves the Internet in general wants. So it's of course something we can never have. The Internet is just too powerful a tool that can be used against the Powerful. They won't stand for this much longer. Kiss ATS goodbye once free thought is blocked by your service provider.

[edit on 3-10-2009 by BaronVonGodzilla]

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   
((Sorry, didn't mean to double post.))

[edit on 3-10-2009 by BaronVonGodzilla]

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   
"Control" over the internet. It's such a misused and misunderstood idea. The only ones who control the internet in all actuality are the telecomms corporations who own the network infrastructure which make up the internet. Without them there is no internet. The Internet is for the most part a private corporate cash cow, it is not the last domain of free speech no matter how many people whine about censorship and the like. The internet is a business, and it's purpose is to generate revenue, its purpose is not to further free speech or any of the other idealistic values people like to place upon it. Your rights on the internet extend only so far as your isp's aup/fup/t&c.

Besides, people would still quite happily use a censored internet, most would see little difference.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by quackers

I wonder if there is an underground internet that is accessible without an ISP . . .

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

If you didnt have an ISP, how would you access it? If it were a wireless network you'd need to be in range, and if it was a wired network, you'd need to know where to physical hook up a machine. Such networks would be extremely small.

new topics

top topics

join