It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michelle Obama calls her trip to Copenhagen a sacrifice

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by clay2 baraka

Let me look into it clay2 baraka. I am glad you found something about this. I do remember hearing this on the news though. I don't know let me see. Thanks for the information.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by uaocteaou

Originally posted by Critical_Mass
I agree Rio is an excellent choice.
I also agree that Hoe Bama should be kept off camera since she cant seem to keep her damned hoof out of her mouth. And what the hell is Oprah doing there? like anyone gives a rat's ass what she thinks?

What a joke. I am glad the whole thing was flubbed.

One failure after another for our Impotent Dictator.
We've become a laughing stock.

One of the MOST ignorant and offensive posts that I've encountered, even on THIS site.

Are you a racist, or just stupid..? "Hoe Bama"...???

It's people JUST LIKE YOU, that makes all right-wingers look like fools and idiots.

What she said was fairly foolish, poor choice of words to say the least, but, regardless of what I think about what she said, you never have the right to personally attack someone with school-yard, juvenile insults. Grow up.

[edit on 2-10-2009 by uaocteaou]

So now when someone says something about the first lady, they are racist, stupid, and a right-winger? Wow. Personally, I have no problem with anyone calling her Hoe Bama, so long as they use capital letters in her name to signify her as a person. I have zero political affiliation whatsoever and I am declaring her Hoe Bama myself.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by clay2 baraka
First off, your source is a blogger. Did I mention your "source" just makes stuff up out of thin air?

I challenge you to find the word sacrifice used even once in that speech (even in other contexts)!

I just finished watching the entire, unedited speech and I can tell you the premise of this thread is an outright lie! She doesn't use the word sacrifice once!

Moderator note: This thread is a [HOAX]

Unedited speech

[edit on 10/2/2009 by clay2 baraka]

I don't know. The following comes from a pretty reliable source.

"As much of a sacrifice as people say this is for me or Oprah or the president to come for these few days," the first lady told a crowd of people involved in the Chicago project, "so many of you in this room have been working for years to bring this bid home." "As first lady, as many of you know, I’ve made it a priority to bridge the gap between the White House and communities across D.C. and across the country," Mrs. Obama continued. "I’ve spent much of my first nine months trying to open the doors to the White House to kids who might not otherwise see themselves having access to these institutions, because that’s where I came from – communities like that where kids never dreamed that they could set foot in the White House, let alone live there…And Barack and I made a point of doing the same thing when we lived in Chicago – making the concerns of kids in all sorts of communities our own."

I can't get the link to work but it's from the Washington Examiner. You could just do a google search for Michelle sacrifice speech and find it rather quickly.

[edit on 2-10-2009 by jackflap]

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by jackflap

I was trying to find your blogger's source, as she did not state any. .
I finally got frustrated and just listened to the whole speech.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by uaocteaou
... regardless of what I think about what she said, you never have the right to personally attack someone with school-yard, juvenile insults. Grow up.

Actually, you do have the right. Its called free speech, and it is protected by the Constitution.

Any curtailment of any speech is the first step on the road to Dictatorship.

[edit on 2-10-2009 by Chakotay]

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by jackflap
reply to post by SpartanKingLeonidas

Wow, you've expressed exactly what I felt when I read it. Very well put my friend. She obviously has no idea of what real sacrifice is.

Contextually speaking, by the words she chose to use, her mother wanted to be selfish, but knew better and did the right thing, and as well her mother actually said what she said to tell Michelle Obama that she thought she should be a little more selfish than her mother allowed herself to be.

I am glad the Olympics will be in Brazil, I have a feeling that the real goal was in fact to lose out to them anyway, that way we could have a reason to be closer to all the issues going on in our backyard, with Hugo Chavez and Venezuela.

Besides, I believe we're going after Venezuela's oil next, what better cover story to utilize than the very story of brotherhood through the Olympics?

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   

There could be more than one speech. I would like to see a link to a transcript as I have seen a tendency for quotes to be taken out of context.

If that was truly said in context, It would definitely be viewed by me as "elitist."
Then again, at that level, they all are!

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   

I truly hope their was another reason for that whole mess. I mean we have so much going on here, what in the world are they thinking? To me it just screamed of Obama going to help out his buddies in Chicago.

On another note, yes I am glad that they lost the bid.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by clay2 baraka

I am trying to find a transcript but to no avail. I have seen parts of the speech in articles like the one above from the washington examiner. I know I heard this on the news as well. I am going to continue to look.

This from Rush Limbaugh's site. I know, you would expect it, but he does have it in quotes like the examiner.

"'As much of a sacrifice as people say this is for me or Oprah or the president to come for these few days,' the first lady told a crowd of people involved in the Chicago project, 'so many of you in this room have been working for years to bring this bid home. As first lady, as many of you know, I've made it a priority to bridge the gap between the White House and communities across DC and across the country.'"

www.rushlimbaugh.com...

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   

I don't know. The following comes from a pretty reliable source.

"As much of a sacrifice as people say this is for me ..."

Oh, so SHE didn't say it was a sacrifice. THE PEOPLE said it was a sacrifice. That explains why the quote wasn't included in the opening post. Or any post.

I was going to ask if we could have the whole quote so we could make up our own minds about it but clay2 baraka beat me to it.

This is how the bash-Obama machine works. It's pretty neat that just about any time I open a bash Obama thread, I can find a quote out of context or a downright lie at the basis of the claim. Thanks for providing the whole sentence. I'd love to see the text of the entire speech if anyone has it.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Here's the text:

Michelle's Speech

It does something to a kid when they can feel that energy and power up close and personal. And for some kids in our communities and our city, around the nation, around the world, they can never dream of being that close to such power and opportunity. So that’s what excites me most about bringing the Games to Chicago – the impact that it can have on the lives of our young people, and on our entire community.

And I know that’s what all of you have been working for for these past few months. As much of a sacrifice as people say this is for me or Oprah or the President to come for these few days, so many of you in this room have been working for years to bring this bid home, and you have put together a phenomenal set of ideas that, no matter what the outcome is, we should be proud of as a city. (Applause.)

So, she was actually honoring the sacrifice made by the people who had worked on this bid for months.

[edit on 2-10-2009 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

You may just be right Benevolent Heretic and clay. I didn't even realize it, but there it is. This may be a media smear. Who knows. I can't find an actual transcript though. Thanks for the heads up both of you.

As much of a sacrifice as people say this is for me or Oprah or the President to come for these few days,

She's definitely not saying she believes it is a sacrifice. Man, I thought for sure I found a horrible trait in her. I am glad that my eyes have been opened now. I don't know how to retract my opinion except to say, I didn't read it well enough.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Yes, It was a Rush Limbaugh special.

Limbaugh mischaracterizes Michelle Obama to claim she said it was a "sacrifice" to go to Europe to lobby for Olympics

Audio at link

[edit on 2-10-2009 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   

I edited my post above to add that I didn't even realize that she may not have even said it. Man, I feel like a tool.

Goes to show you how powerful the media really is on our opinions. This has been an eye OPENER.

clay and Benevolent added to friends list....

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Goes to show you how powerful the media really is on our opinions. This has been an eye OPENER.

It also goes to show you how hard politicians and political figures will work to spin the truth. I'm glad it's been an eye opener for you!

Don't feel bad. Just next time you see a single word in quotes, you can figure there's a reason the whole quote isn't there.
Take the time to look up the actual quote. Read my signature.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Oh man. Get off the bike, dude, so I can kick your ass.

I'm not editing anything, I will however retract my statements, but if she said anything of the sort I still agree with my original statements.

I am not a bandwagon rider, I swear, BH.

Still love me?

I do not care for Obama, not because of anything anyone usually says, I do not care him because of a lack of actually saying anything with context, content, or intent.

The man is a great orator, I'm sure his wife is as well, but when I speak I use words that have facts backing them up, usually.

Go figure, the one time I did not stop to check my facts, is the one time I mis-spoke.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   

But if she didn't really say it, what in the world are we actually doing? We are working toward someone elses goal. If she didn't really say it, I am not in agreement. You know what I mean?

Sorry, I should've checked it out too. I just put [hoax] in the title, man again I apologize.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   
jackflap, it takes a REAL man or woman to put the hoax tag on their own thread. I didn't know you before today, but I certainly will remember you as a person with honor.

Originally posted by SpartanKingLeonidas
I am not a bandwagon rider, I swear, BH.

Still love me?

I do not care for Obama, not because of anything anyone usually says, I do not care him because of a lack of actually saying anything with context, content, or intent.

Of course I love you! And I know you don't jump on bandwagons. And I don't care if you HATE Obama. If you use facts and logic (which you do) I have no problem with you expressing your opinions and conclusions.

It's the bandwagon jumpers and people who believe this and will still defend it that I take issue with. And to be honest, I really don't care much about them either. They're just doing their thing, just as I am.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   

But if she didn't really say it, what in the world are we actually doing? We are working toward someone elses goal. If she didn't really say it, I am not in agreement. You know what I mean?

Sorry, I should've checked it out too. I just put [hoax] in the title, man again I apologize.

Apology accepted.

Did you read what I said about the bid for the Olympics may be a pretext to have lost the bid in order to get them pushed to Brazil?

The mass media created out of milk cartons logic, easily emptied, folded, and recycled do not want us citizens to really know what's going on anywhere.

I am seeing war everywhere I look because of the signs.

[edit on 2-10-2009 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Thanks Benevolent, this thread has certainly taught me a thing or two, and look we did it without name calling or anything. You brought a simple fact and I realized it. Very well done and thank you again Benevolent. At least we know the truth now.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join