It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The decline of Obama..?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I'm still on cloud 9 that Obama crushed Chicago's chance for the Olympics!!!! Any type of defeat for this guy, is great for America!

One question....Who is advising this guy? There is a reason that an American President has never lobbied for the Olympics. You don't put the President of the United States in that position. But Mr. Obama is such an egomaniac, he must of thought his mere presence would have made Chicago a shoo-in. What an idiot! We are being laughed at across the globe this very minute.

Mr. Obama can't win an election without ACORN, he should have known better.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by RRconservative

I'm glad to see it,the President shouldn't be out campaigning for the Olympics. He's got bigger and much more important things to deal with.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by BigDaveJr

Yeah like grabbing a burger with Joe Biden and working on his Put.

2nd

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative
I'm still on cloud 9 that Obama crushed Chicago's chance for the Olympics!!!! Any type of defeat for this guy, is great for America!

One question....Who is advising this guy? There is a reason that an American President has never lobbied for the Olympics. You don't put the President of the United States in that position. But Mr. Obama is such an egomaniac, he must of thought his mere presence would have made Chicago a shoo-in. What an idiot! We are being laughed at across the globe this very minute.

Mr. Obama can't win an election without ACORN, he should have known better.

Well said my friend, Obama does seem to be a egomaniac with a cult of personality to follow.

Anyone remember other figures who have had these quality's in the past?

Never end's up being the lollipops and cotton candy promised...

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by phoenix103
reply to post by lpowell0627

I disagree. Speaking as a Brit, we love him. He's a progressive and liberally minded politician, couldn't be more different from Bush (and we hate him with a passion).

The honeymoon period is over, he's now just starting to get his agenda established. I think you should hold judgement until the end of his first term to get a holistic picture.

Yeah, well it doesn't work that way here. Bush wasn't given a full term "to get a holistic picture" -
- and neither will obama.

Come to think of it, it doesn't even work that way in the UK, where new elections can be called at anytime when a politician becomes "unliked".

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by lucentenigma
Well said my friend, Obama does seem to be a egomaniac

Jesus H Christ, where did you get this from?

It's not like Bush who could find anything to blame himself for.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

Nice! Right on cue.

Obama fails.........must blame Bush.

Is this some sort of "White Guilt" thing?

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Maybe Obama should have worked on and spent his time on cleaning up Chicago before trying to sell a city that is drowning in crime and poverty. Maybe this is what the committe saw - because im sure crime is part of their research into the cities that applied.

Chicago Crime Data
Spot Crime (interesting site, you can plug in any city)
Chicago Crime

However, with that said, Im not sure what Rio's crime is like. Maybe it is not a factor, but I would think it would be important.

[edit on October 2nd 2009 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I disagree, Obama's goodwill if not increased has certainly not decreased in International terms. Many countries look up to him and find him admirable, level headed person who work realistically.

He pitched for his country for the benefit of the country and that's what counts. If you have someone(first one) who is not afraid of taking chance to bring a respected event like Olympics and on other hand someone(second person) who sit and twiddle his thumb I'll go for the first one. It's the effort and tries that matters.

Enough said.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Gosh, this must be the first time ever than the United States lost in it's bid to hold the Olympics. As we all know the Olympics have been held constantly in the United States and no other country. This is clearly a sign of the decline of Obama!

A bit of sarcasm, but obviously this is not the first time that the United States has lost the bid to host the Olympics. So, the claim this was somehow a reflection on Obama's popularity or influence is a bit ridiculous.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   
That's one small step backward for a man, one giant leap forward for Americans.

The majority of Americans and vast majority of Chicagoans did NOT want another Olympics held here. We're struggling to feed and house our own, yet this windbag seemed to think we should open our doors to the world and be good hosts? NO! NO! and again I say NO!

The United States got an epic win today. Not only are we the taxpayers not on the hook for the cost overruns and security fees, but a city which only has a 2 hour time difference from New York and the East coast will host the games! That means the games will generate great revenue for advertisers and television networks, which, ultimately, will be a win for our economy. We got the best of both worlds!

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Well, here's what some in the UK are saying about obama's olympic debacle.

article

There has been a growing narrative taking hold about Barack Obama’s presidency in recent weeks: that he is loved by many, but feared by none; that he is full of lofty vision, but is actually achieving nothing with his grandiloquence.

Chicago’s dismal showing today, after Mr Obama’s personal, impassioned last-minute pitch, is a stunning humiliation for this President. It cannot be emphasised enough how this will feed the perception that on the world stage he looks good — but carries no heft.

It was only the Olympic Games, the White House will argue — not a high-stakes diplomatic gamble with North Korea. It is always worthwhile when Mr Obama sells America to the rest of the world, David Axelrod, his chief political adviser, said today. But that argument will fall on deaf ears in the US. Americans want their presidents to be winners.

Mr Obama was greeted — as usual — like a rock star by the IOC delegates in Copenhagen — then humiliated by them. Perception is reality. A narrow defeat for Chicago would have been acceptable — but the sheer scale of the defeat was a bombshell, and is a major blow for Mr Obama at a time when questions are being asked about his style of governance.

And I was just reading another post by someone in the UK about how they all love obama so, and we just just give him a break for 4 years.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by phoenix103
reply to post by lpowell0627

I disagree. Speaking as a Brit, we love him. He's a progressive and liberally minded politician, couldn't be more different from Bush (and we hate him with a passion).

I did see the Chicago bid video and to be perfectly honest, it put me off supporting Chicago, it was nauseating.

You'd be better off analysing this as "some you win, some you lose" as opposed to it being "the world falling out of love with Obama".

The honeymoon period is over, he's now just starting to get his agenda established. I think you should hold judgement until the end of his first term to get a holistic picture.

I would love him too -- if he were another country's problem.

Getting his agenda established? He's thrown himself into the auto industry, healthcare, education, banks, media, Afganistan, and the entire workings of Wall Street. If this a start as you say, then I ask one simple question: what's left???

Further, instead of progressive, I would argue that he is agressive, not to mention reckless. Waiting until the end of his four-year term to judge him is impossible since what's left after his full term won't even be recognized as the USA any longer.

Lastly, most of us hated Bush too. But we are not allowing the joyfulness of someone new blind us to the actuality of what we now have instead.

PS - I love Britain and can't wait to travel across the "pond" again come my next "holiday". However, I certainly will not be pleased if the US becomes the UK. Because if it does, it means OUR constitution went right out the window -- which would be the greatest sin in the history of great countries.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

It can be judged as nothing less than a blow to Obama on a personal level. When you make history -- no other President has made a personal appeal to the Olympics committee -- you are putting yourself, your clout, and your reputation on the line.

Whether you agree or disagree with the weight and prestige the Olympics carries, the fact that Obama put his name to something, and thought enough of it to make a personal appeal, speaks volumes. Clinton didn't call NK -- he went there and made his appeal in person. Point being, if you really want something badly enough, you handle it in person.

Lastly, it's no secret that I am not an Obama fan. HOWEVER, I do not take "losses" like this too well and am one of those Americans that likes to see our country win.

I never once WANTED Obama to fail. A failing President is the start to a flailing country. It's one thing to recognize that what he's doing is not working, and it's another to want it not to work before it even happens.

I wish Obama could turn this country around. I wish he could deliver 50% of what he promised while he was campaigning. Unfortunately, the truth of the matter is that he is proving to be 99% rhetoric and 1% ineffective at even that.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kaploink
A bit of sarcasm, but obviously this is not the first time that the United States has lost the bid to host the Olympics. So, the claim this was somehow a reflection on Obama's popularity or influence is a bit ridiculous.

It is directly related to Obama since he decided to become the first President in history to make a personal, face-to-face bid for the Olympics. Had he not done that, then your post would be correct.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zenlike
Okay I will put it like this. I am an independent conservative liberal and was eager and happy to vote for the first African American President in history, unfortunately I was duped like everyone else who bought into the campaign promises. However I have been keeping a close eye on him since then waiting for signs to where is true loyalties are as I'm sure many other people have obviously and it dawned on me the moment he announced he wanted to give the Federal Reserve more power and of course it's only gotten worse. So hes either very dumb or knows exactly what he is doing. I regret my voting for him.

[edit on 2-10-2009 by Zenlike]

Well come back to reality! It will take others longer to realize the truth.

BTW the U.S. has hosted the Olympics 4 times,North America 6 times! NONE have been held on the South American continent. It was a very democratic LOGICAL choice.

Does anybody really think there will even be a Olympics four years after 2012?

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I want to thank those who have replied to my post. All of the statements were good and made valid points for all sides. The name calling was extremely low and that says a lot about the sincerity of everyone's belief and political stance.

What I think happened here was that there was already an animosity for the US and secondly, there was an opportunity for world figures to openly and soundly humiliate Obama and by proxy the US. While I am not a supporter of Obama, nor do I agree with his politics, I can't help feel some degree of compassion for him. He walked directly into what was certainly a date with personal injury to his office.

Everyone there knew that Obama takes pride in his speaking skills, which is why his adversaries in the conservative wing take pot shots at him all the time. But what happened here was that they were bent on rejecting the earnest expectations of this young black American President. He lost it going in.

What is left on the plate for Obama now is the realization that words alone will never be enough. Everyone alike will now be waiting to see if he has any fortitude behind speech. Can he be aggressive enough to lead. His first few tests will be IRAN, Afghanistan, and the economy.

On a personal note, it should be remembered that the democrats eat their own, and should his polls fall into the low 30's they will cast him out on his ear in an attempt to save congressional and Senate seats.

Again, thankyou everyone for your replies and the way they were put forth.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 09:07 PM
link   
The honeymoon is definitely over for Obama.
He talked the talk, but now he can't walk the walk.
His golden boy touch is over.

People are not stupid, you talk a big game of change and then carry on as normal.

For the first time I am thinking Obama could be a 1 term President. Doesn't matter if the GOP fields a loser in 2012, people don't like being sold down the river by a slick salesman for anything. They will punish him at the polls

It was insulting that Chicago got punted so quick, at least if it was close, to honor and respect the President efforts, but no.

Americans don't like I guy who can't deliver, even some of the left has begun to turn on him, I have seen the video's and blogs.

And there is blood in the water now, so the GOP will NEVER work with him.

Health care is the next test. If he fails to deliver a public option with control of both the senate and congress, he might as well not even run in 2012.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Blue_Jay33

You are correct. If his healthcare bill fails he will lose a lot of political strength. But either way, if it passes without the public option, his own will feed on him and turn on him. If the bill passes he will face the will of an angry nation who do not want socialized medicine. I'm afraid he will suffer either way on this healthcare scheme.

Also, if he fails to support the troops in Afghanistan, it will cost his party dearly at the polls.

He can't suffer too many hits and survive. Now because of this Olympic thing, he has to prove himself to the entire nation and possibly the world as well. He has to succeed at something meaningful to survive.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Obama is all smoke and mirrors,no substance at all,why I voted for a true American and a veteran ,John Mc Kain.
Mc Kain was not the best choice(I wanted Ron Paul or Mike Hucabee)but he was the best choice left.
Flying to Denmark to get the Olympics for Chicago was just to pay off his cronies in Chicago who helped him get elected,Chicago's corrupt democratic party bosses(47 Indicted).
Mc Kain being a veteran would have focused on the real Problems,troops in Afghanistan and The Iranian bull#

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join