It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The decline of Obama..?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Well.. everyone probably already knows that Chicago was eliminated in the first round of voting... No Olympics for you Mr. President. It seems that all the King's horses and all the King's men... well, you know...

Let me ask a curious question. Do you think that the world thinks less of Obama than we think..? And what about us.. what about the Obama supporters, have they lost faith..? How many do you think have "changed" their position on him..? This Olympic games failure has got to say something. I just want to know what that is...

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Oh come on, Obama is not a miracle worker and Olympics aren't the most important thing in the world, even though it'd be cool to have them here in the US.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   
It was said, as an opinion-type piece, by many journalists that whether or not Obama manages to get Chicago to host the Olympics is a direct reflection of how much power he has in the eyes of the rest of the world.

Everybody knows that the Olympics is a highly political event and the winning city/country is often viewed as "top dog" for awhile. You know, right up until they start defaulting on all of the loans they needed to pay for said Olympics....

This should be a real eye-opener to how the rest of the world truly feels about "Obama-mania". Seems there are still a few sane people out there.....
(yes, that HAD to be thrown into my post....)

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Okay I will put it like this. I am an independent conservative liberal and was eager and happy to vote for the first African American President in history, unfortunately I was duped like everyone else who bought into the campaign promises. However I have been keeping a close eye on him since then waiting for signs to where is true loyalties are as I'm sure many other people have obviously and it dawned on me the moment he announced he wanted to give the Federal Reserve more power and of course it's only gotten worse. So hes either very dumb or knows exactly what he is doing. I regret my voting for him.

[edit on 2-10-2009 by Zenlike]

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Zenlike

Welcome back!

Perhaps now you can help out some of of the others here who are still struggling with the truth you've come to see - and you all know who you are.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   
His charm and speaking skills will only carry him so long.

You can only talk for so long, eventually you have to produce results.

Once his luster wears off his popularity will plummet.

Only those who are too full of pride to admit they made a mistake when they voted for him and have been duped will cling to his words.

I think that is what we are seeing now, people so full of pride that they will make every excuse they can for Obama.

[edit on 2-10-2009 by lucentenigma]

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Polls, which really can't be trusted are showing his approval rating slipping...constantly...nothing new or unusual for a president...and his DISapproval ratings climbing...again, nothing new.

It was strange how the picture came into my head of Superman Obama flying to Denmark to convince the world that Chicago was THE place for the Olympics (insert patriotic, upbeat hero music...maybe the theme from Airwolf.)....well, after sending his WIFE ahead of him...The same day the KIDS from HIS town were killing each other on the street.

I don't know why the rest of the world would have any more of a favorable opinion of our president than we apparently do...I think it's understood that America lags a little behind when it comes to free-thinking and immunity to cheer leading.

Is this over? My 'stories' are on.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
reply to post by Zenlike

Welcome back!

Perhaps now you can help out some of of the others here who are still struggling with the truth you've come to see - and you all know who you are.

Agreed. There have been lessons learned on both sides. We know that "Republican" and "Democrat" doesn't work for this country. Only truly "Moderate" is going to put this country back together again.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Fromabove

Its a major defeat for him on the international stage, without question. He went and personally lobbied for the games to be held in his home city and was turned away. That said, I don't think his influence with the international elites is in decline. No, its just that he never had any. I don't think they ever bought in the way their citizens did. Respect and influence on the international stage are earned, yet Obama, much like his predecessor, seems to believe that he is entitled to both. You'd think he'd learn that lesson eventually, but once again, his ego has gotten him into an embarrassing mess.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I think the fact that Chicago is the home of recent public gang style beating death of honor students had alot to do with it. But what do you expect from a city that is run by gangsters.

-E-

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I saw a new math equation on Druge,

Obama + Michelle x Oprah = ZERO

The failure continues.

read it and weep;

www.drudgereport.com...

[edit on 2-10-2009 by tomfrusso]

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by lpowell0627

I disagree. Speaking as a Brit, we love him. He's a progressive and liberally minded politician, couldn't be more different from Bush (and we hate him with a passion).

I did see the Chicago bid video and to be perfectly honest, it put me off supporting Chicago, it was nauseating.

You'd be better off analysing this as "some you win, some you lose" as opposed to it being "the world falling out of love with Obama".

The honeymoon period is over, he's now just starting to get his agenda established. I think you should hold judgement until the end of his first term to get a holistic picture.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by sos37

Originally posted by centurion1211
reply to post by Zenlike

Welcome back!

Agreed. There have been lessons learned on both sides. We know that "Republican" and "Democrat" doesn't work for this country. Only truly "Moderate" is going to put this country back together again.

Absolutely I couldn't agree more and that's why come next election I will not fall for it again as I plan on not supporting the two party political system that only serves as an illusion of choice to keep the status quo in the favor of the few. We the tax paying people that make this country work need to reform our government IMHO.

[edit on 2-10-2009 by Zenlike]

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fromabove
Let me ask a curious question. Do you think that the world thinks less of Obama than we think..?

No. I think Obama haters have made up a fantasy that his supporters and the world think he's some kind of "god" or "king". This is not true and has never been true. It's a complete fabrication of those who don't like the fact that Barack Hussein Obama is our president and this fabrication has nothing to do with the real world or what the world or Obama supporters think of him.

Making up such a ridiculous fantasy and then claiming that people have "lost faith" when it becomes clear that the fantasy was never true is a strange and incomprehensible game that Obama detractors continue to play. It's simply one more excuse they have in denigrating Obama. It's their game, not mine.

I don't try to understand it anymore. It's stupid.

[edit on 2-10-2009 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by MysterE

I think those anti-Olympics protests in Chicago had a good deal to do with them being rejected by the IOC. Maybe they also didn't bribe them enough like Atlanta did in 1996.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   
The U.S. has hosted the Olympics many times and South America has never had one.
IMO the Olympic Committee was thinking of this when they made the elimination.

I personally hope Rio gets it.

The important thing is Obama was out there pitching for the U.S. If he hadn't made the effort people on here would criticize him for not caring enough about the country.

Any little evidence of "defeat" for the president becomes an occasion for exultation on ATS.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   
To echo Benevolent Heretic 's sentiment...

I did not vote for Obama. I voted Ron Paul. That said, the GOP and Conservative Right are engaged in a fulltime, all-out war against Obama for two reasons: 1) They have nothing else to do and 2) Their political survival depends on it. If the Obama administration should happen to effect positive change in this country and get the economy back on-track in ways that are clearly evident to even the deaf-dumb-and-blind among us, well, that would be a political catastrophe of biblical proportions to the GOP and the Right. They NEED for him to fail. In any way possible.

Despite what the GOP and the Right are trying to make us believe, they give a rat's ass about any of us or the country for that matter. They simply want to re-establish the powerbase they lost so they can get their hands back in the till. In order to do that they need to disparage Obama at every turn. In my experience, the level of vitriol and rapacious nature of the attacks is unprecedented.

They need you to believe that all the country's current woes are Obama's fault. They need to make you believe that we're unsafe. They repeatedly point to unemployment increases knowing full well that unemployment will be the last aspect of the economy to recover. It always is. But people don't care about that. Just wave a magic wand and everything will be OK.

Maybe, with some luck, people will wake-up and next time around have the stones to effect real change in this country. We had our chance last November but (once again) everyone --- and that includes you perpetual bitchers --- couldn't think outside the Republican/Democrat model. And if any of you actually believe that if Obama was removed today and replaced by John McCain or any other Republican player that things would be different... you're wholly delusional.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by phoenix103
reply to post by lpowell0627

I disagree. Speaking as a Brit, we love him. He's a progressive and liberally minded politician, couldn't be more different from Bush (and we hate him with a passion).

I did see the Chicago bid video and to be perfectly honest, it put me off supporting Chicago, it was nauseating.

You'd be better off analysing this as "some you win, some you lose" as opposed to it being "the world falling out of love with Obama".

The honeymoon period is over, he's now just starting to get his agenda established. I think you should hold judgement until the end of his first term to get a holistic picture.

As a Brit who also hated Bush with a passion, and had immense hope when Obama took office, I am extremely disappointed.

In my view, Obama has done very little to change anything. I'd dare say that the only thing that has changed from an international perspective is that the world is no longer looking at America every day just watching in amazement. It seemed that every time a person turned on the news there was Bush, repeating the same old BS. Obama just does it maybe a couple of times a week

And the Olympics is no indicator of a leaders power.
It doesn't mean that Obama has less political power in any way. This is a sporting event, and the IOC has made the decision based on the proposal set out by Rio and the other cities, their future infrastructure goals, how hosting the Olympics can improve the city/country, the existing facilities and infrastructure, the publicity...

If it was as simple as political influence, Britain wouldn't have won the bid for 2012, and China certainly wouldn't have won the last opportunity.

Yes, Obama's leadership is failing around the world, and opinions are changing, but that's not shown by this decision. He's losing support globally because he's a leader, and all leaders right now are making the worst economic decisions ever seen.
On top of that, he's failed to deliver on any meaningful problem.

He's divided America at the worst possible time by introducing a vague plan of health reform, and such uncertainty has fuelled the rumours and fears of the far-right.
He's not changed Bush's policy of making people the enemy. The Patriot Act still exists, rights have been seen to have diminished further (G20), spying laws and draconian measures have not been removed or even challenged by his administration.
The CIA openly threatened him (POTUS plane over NY) and he caved, grovelling to them publicly (remember the public "thank you" he gave them?) and then dropping any investigation into the illegal torture of detainees.
He's refused to hold the previous administration accountable for their actions.

Seriously, where is the "Change" he promised?

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Simply put, Chicago was not the best city amongst the candidates. Chicago wasn't even the best choice if we really wanted to have the Olympics here in the USA. Horrible choice with predictable results.

Just my 2-cents

EDIT: I forgot to state that this does not reflect negatively on Obama, and certainly isn't indicative of his decline.

[edit on 2-10-2009 by Aggie Man]

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by jtma508

I voted for Ron Paul in the primaries, he is a true American patriot. I wish he would of got it. I can't help but feel things would be much much different but we got the smooth talking car salesman.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join