It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shocker! Chicago eliminated in 2016 voting

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Shocker! Chicago eliminated in 2016 voting

nbcsports.msnbc.com

COPENHAGEN - In a stunning development, Chicago was the first city eliminated on Friday in IOC voting to be host city for the 2016 Summer Olympics.

Earlier, Chicago, Tokyo, Rio de Janeiro and Madrid made final pitches to the International Olympic Committee, with President Barack Obama and Brazilian counterpart Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva pitting their star power against each other in emotional pushes for their cities.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Hard to believe that Chicago got eliminated so quickly.

Were the Olympic committee afraid that if they chose Chicago, the world would see it as a rigged process?

I am surprised that Obama wasn't able to influence the committee.

He put his name on the line when he decided to lobby for the Olympics.

nbcsports.msnbc.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   
A sign that there is hope for those in the know.............

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Well Rio will probably get it. South America never had Olympic games. No offense but until the invading country removes its troops from other countries, there should be no games or international events in USA

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I'm not shocked. The recent beatings on the streets don't help their cause either.

The IOC is a corrupt organization and these games will most likely go to Rio.

The President should have never left the Country for this. There's far more important things going on that need his attention.

Lastly, the United States is not the most popular Nation these days. I'm sure all of the events over the past 9 months haven't helped. Most of the World blames the United States for all of their problems right now.

And even though they've all said that no tax payer money will be used....it already has.

Is the US Olympic committe going to reimburse the Government for the use of Air Force One, all the staffer's salaries, the secret service, etc? Do you realize how much it costs for the President to visit another Country?

MILLIONS!

This misuse of my taxes makes me sick...

[edit on 2-10-2009 by SlinkyDFW]

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by SlinkyDFW
Is the US Olympic committe going to reimburse the Government for the use of Air Force One, all the staffer's salaries, the secret service, etc? Do you realize how much it costs for the President to visit another Country?

MILLIONS!

This misuse of my taxes makes me sick...

Oh Gosh. We are the United States of A, for God's sake, and even when times are tough, it's just sad that you complain about the cost of doing business. Dubya spent 30% of his presidency clearing brushes on his ranch and/or fishing, and guess what, staffer's salaries and secret service were being paid as well. At least Obama's trying to do somethign useful.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Le Colonel
Well Rio will probably get it. South America never had Olympic games. No offense but until the invading country removes its troops from other countries, there should be no games or international events in USA

STARRED!

I completely agree

And though you are 100% correct, the irony of it is what Obama's intention was.

Obama vowed that one legacy of the Games would be to rehabilitate America's image in the eyes of the world.

The president, whose decision to make a flying visit to Copenhagen to lobby in person has prompted criticism from his political opponents back home, told the 106 IOC members who will decide the destination of the Games this afternoon: "This could be a meeting in Chicago, because we look like the world. And over the last several years sometimes that fundamental truth about the United States has been lost. One of the legacies of this Olympic Games would be the restoration of that understanding of what the United States is all about and a recognition of how we are linked to the world."
www.guardian.co.uk...

It's amazing how upside down this thinking is
How about stopping illegal and immoral wars, closing the over 800 bases in over 130 countries, bringing war criminals to justice, not renewing a contract with Blackwater, closing all secret prisons in different countries around the world etc.... etc...

Wouldn't that help restore America's image way faster and more efficiently?

Imagine if America, especially after Bush, was the first country to end it's dependency on foreign oil?

Unbelieavable!

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by SlinkyDFW

It's not hard to believe at all. The same day Obama was making his "impassioned" plea for the Olympics was the same day some kid was beaten to death outside a Chicago school.

You really think the IOC wants any part of that?

Also it's encouraging to see that some of the rest of the world doesn't buy into Obama's fake charms and shallow personality.

Only the arrogant American MSM will say they are "truly shocked" that Chicago wasn't picked, and hurt and outraged. And they can shove it up their collective $#^@%#s.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Le Colonel

No offense but until the invading country removes its troops from other countries, there should be no games or international events in USA

No offense taken. But I don't think us being at war should be a reason that there should be no games or international events in USA.

We're doing what most countries would have done if they had experienced the same. I find many things that we are doing wrong and have done wrong in the war, but is that sufficient reason to punish everybody in the US due to the decisions made by a few?

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

Imagine if America, especially after Bush, was the first country to end it's dependency on foreign oil?

Unbelieavable!

MA, that's now more impossible than ever under the current administration. Obama and Chavez are buddies. He's not going to cut off Venezuela's cash cow and risk ruining their "friendship".

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   
i'm not shocked, secret renditions and a complete disregard for basic human rights, imperialistic wars, a chaotic and divided political system, rife religious fundamentalism, a ruinous economy that's dragged half the world into a pit of misery, complete pig headed irresponsibility toward the environment and the promotion of terrorism and drug trafficking all over the world.

i wouldn't trust america to organise my sock drawer, never mind the olympics.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by sos37

Only the arrogant American MSM will say they are "truly shocked" that Chicago wasn't picked

Maybe they are using shocking because the Obama charm didn't work. You have to admit that Obama is popular around the world. I believe really thought that Obama's charm and popularity was going to bring the Olmpics to Chicago.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
reply to post by sos37

Only the arrogant American MSM will say they are "truly shocked" that Chicago wasn't picked

Maybe they are using shocking because the Obama charm didn't work. You have to admit that Obama is popular around the world. I believe really thought that Obama's charm and popularity was going to bring the Olmpics to Chicago.

I love the headline on DrudgeReport.com today - "The Ego has landed". It reflects this occurrence perfectly.

I think a lot of people are in the same boat as you, thinking Obama's charm and wit would have brought the olympics to Chicago. But again, I am so proud that there are actual intelligent human beings out there able to see right through the facade that Obama puts on and realize that he's a nothing but a two-bit snake-oil salesman.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Especially in the second half of Obama's speech, he was talking as if he were the president of the world. Seems not everybody like that kind of style.

BTW, just saw Raúl, I guess Rio may win finally and I hope so.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Rio and South America as a whole entity, deserves the game - never been held in that region before.

It was obvious Chicago would not get the games, the United States - if major cuts are not made and the budget not brought into order - would struggle to build the infrastructure.

You have to admit that Obama is popular around the world

Honestly, he is not.
It was highlighted, quite visual in the G2O London summit, that Obama was quite nonchalant and limited on foreign affairs.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by sos37

I think a lot of people are in the same boat as you, thinking Obama's charm and wit would have brought the olympics to Chicago.

Personally, I don't think the President should be lobbying for such events. I didn't know how this would play out, but I really didn't think they would get booted so quickly.

I think the best thing that came out of all of this is that Obama met with General McChrystal during the trip.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   
"And though you are 100% correct, the irony of it is what Obama's intention was."

Obama's intentions were to get the games in Chicago so his political buddies could hand out some lucrative inflated infrastructure contracts. If Obama really wanted to restore America's image in the world, he could have started by ending the bogus wars, like he promised to do. But then again, he promised to do a lot of things which he has not done.

Playing the role of moral supremacist involves a little more than just throwing out some empty promises. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Well....what am I going to complain about today? I was getting my talking points together about how it was a waste of time for the president to be bothering with a trip to Denmark.....well...I guess he could still GO...I mean they do have some interesting things to see...I think he deserves a vacation.

It makes me wonder if some invisible puppet master got those kids riled up so they would film themselves beating another kid to death, just so America wouldn't benefit financially from the Olympics. I mean come on, Chicago isn't that bad. (cough)

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by sos37

Sorry to see our own American president begging in person in Favor of America for the Olympics, we truly has fallen as a the worlds greatest nation.

Sad, very sad.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Regarding Drudge who is really rubbing it in with this headline:

THE EGO HAS LANDED
WORLD REJECTS OBAMA:
CHICAGO OUT IN FIRST ROUND

with another headline below it:

Obama + Michelle x Oprah= Zero

This perspective is why Drudge gets such high volume. They are not owned by the government apparently."Take that charm and shove it!" Would have be my choice of headlines

[edit on 10/2/2009 by sad_eyed_lady]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join