It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jobs Cuts Unexpectedly Accelerate

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem

Originally posted by centurion1211
trillions spent, and they can't even figure out (or won't say) where it all went.

Only a fraction of the stimulus money has been spent. So you seem misinformed.

I was told by an acquaintance (who is construction manager) of a few construction projects that happen because of that money (equals job creation/retention), a few major research initiatives (job creation/retention, good for the country) etc.

Good point on the amount of stimulus money being spent - I think around 600M will be spent by July of 2010. That said, one needs to look at the types of jobs leaving the market.

You noted that there are construction projects thanks to the stimulus, and that is true, but the job creation is not taking place for the white collar workers.

How many IT folks, accountants and management are going to build a bridge?

Not many.

Just as we wouldn't expect a ditch digger to go and reprogram a software system in a major corporation.

Bottom line, I fear the stimulus isn't going to the areas of the economy that need it the most and are not creating the types of jobs that would keep an economy the size of the US going in the long term.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by joscarfas
Check these figures:

According to Bloomberg on this article published today, 7.2 MILLION jobs have been lost in less than two years.
LINK

September’s losses bring total jobs lost since the recession began in December 2007 to 7.2 million, the biggest decline since the Great Depression.

Even if the economy somehow manages to restore these 7.2 million lost jobs back in place at a rate of let's say 100,000 jobs per month (that's being modest) it will take approximately 6+ years to do so.

And I thought the economy was 'back from the brink' Silly me,

[edit on 2-10-2009 by joscarfas]

[edit on 2-10-2009 by joscarfas]

that put things in perspective for me 100k jobs in a month and still would take 6 years to return back to where we were 1-2 years ago? crazy stuff!!!!

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 03:48 AM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

Unexpectedly? Really? I have been 'expecting' my job to fold anytime, like many other hotels a decrease in travel has been stressing the hotel I work in the the limits! We have all taken cuts in hours, pay, and now our paid vacations. 2 other hotels have already closed, and we are one of the lucky ones, location and repeat customers are the only thing keeping this boat from sinking!

Looking around town, every single plant has closed. Smaller new ones have opened that are all owned by Japanese business men (who stay in the hotels) a plant that employed 1500 or more closes and one opens that employs 150 or less.

Budweiser is closing it's plant here this month. I figured beer was safe, but apparently it isn't .

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 03:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpookHunter
I agree that jobs are the key to a full recovery.

They will never come back because we have outsourced everything that can be outsourced.

The only way the United states can generate jobs that compete with third world wages is if we innovate and invent technology that replaces third world workers. In other words, creating robotic technology that will work for a few pennies a day instead of a dollar a day (such as Chinese workers and Indian Programmers).

The only way Americans can be employed once again is by making sure the rest of the world stays unemployed. Like it or not, standard of living is a zero-sum game.

[edit on 2-10-2009 by SpookHunter]

Finally someone that can see the game for what it is, I have always contented that the economy was in spiral down since 1995, as I remember it thats when the outsourcing started and only INCREASED, it was only a matter of time that the problem we have was going to come to a head because the middle class is what was outsourced, politicians were putting blame on the immigrants (illegal) only to distract the true cause of the lack of jobs.... THERE WAS NONE they were outsourcing the whole middle class, leaving service jobs, that too were decreasing because the customers (middle class) were also decreasing, a complete collapse all the way down the support / food chain.

No middle class jobs ... no home sales / construction purchasing etc etc...... all the way down to where we are now.

back biting who to blame for the job loss........ and the poor little mexican is getting the blame (those bad illegals!)

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 03:59 AM
link   
reply to post by SpookHunter

You blame other countries for stealing the jobs, I would argue that its not the countries stealing or even taking anything, but rather being GIVEN the jobs from greedy CEO's and Politicians!! lining there pockets with yet more profits like they just don't make enough??

the problem with that general idea is that those jobs you cut are infact your CUSTOMERS!!!

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 06:49 AM
link   
You would have to be not dealing with a full deck to think this was unexpected. Almost everyone I know is out of work.

How could anyone who saw BH vote in favor of bankers bail out, have any confidence his "stimulus package" actually stimulating the economy?

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Well, this shouldn't be news to anyone on here, it ought to be a nail in the coffin for those that doubt us. It is yet another confirmation of what we have been telling the people who believe everything they are told, regardless of fact or individual reflection on their part. I think the jobless rate is much bigger than the government statistics of 9.8% but in the mid teens.

The official number is arrived at by combining a rotating monthly survey of 60,000 U.S. households performed by the Labor Department's Bureau of Labor Statistics with jobs data sent in by employers. According to this measure, you are marked as "unemployed" if you're jobless and you meet certain criteria, including whether you looked for work in the previous four weeks.

The unofficial number starts with the official rate and then adds in everyone else who should be working full time but is not, including those whose hours have been reduced from full time to part time, those who have become so discouraged they have given up looking for work and others who are "marginally attached to the labor force." Many economists believe this rate is a truer measure of the health of the economy.

voices.washingtonpost.com...

It is far worse than the President, Ben Bernanke, or Tim Geitner is leading the public to believe. It's the same crap sandwich as before, and we all have to take a bite, but now we get some more mayonnaise to soften the repugnant taste. The MSM is just as culpable in the whitewash, because they forgot about what independent verification is and investigative journalism. The information is out there, if one is willing risk career and reputation to dig it up and share the truth regardless of the affects. Kind of like Murrow going hard against Senator McCarthy and his communist witch hunts.

What we are experiencing is a full-scale robbery on epic proportions and yet the American people are still in the dark. The facts are still watered down or conveniently absent from any reports by the MSM or the government. Just to put this into perspective, an auto maker who is under the GM umbrella is canceled, and this is the same GM that took all that bailout money. Think about all the manufacturing losses and auto retail jobs that are going be devoured as a result of this abrupt closure?

DETROIT ­ General Motors Co will close Saturn and wind down its dealership network after a deal to sell the faltering brand to Penske Automotive Group collapsed, the automaker said on Wednesday.

The breakdown of a deal that had been widely expected to close this week will force some 350 Saturn dealerships to close and could cut thousands of auto retail jobs that would have been preserved under a plan by auto magnate Roger Penske.

www.montrealgazette.com...

Here are some recent accomplishments of the Saturn brand:

* Saturn's Outlook receives Parents Magazine/Edmunds.com 'Best Family Car 2008' , 'Best Crossover Utility' by MotorWeek Drivers, 'Best New Family Vehicle'from kbb.com.

en.wikipedia.org...-2

In regard to plant closures, one has already bit the dust, and that is their plant in Wilmington Delaware, and more to follow. . .

Production has officially ceased at the Wilmington, Delaware, assembly plant that built the Saturn Sky and Pontiac Solstice roadsters, as well as their Daewoo and Opel counterparts. The last roadster to roll off the line, a silver Solstice, marks the end of production for the short-lived, Bob Lutz-inspired rear-wheel-drive Kappa platform.

Though not quite the financial success GM had hoped for, demand was generally strong for the roadsters and even for the unexpectedly ultra-limited Solstice Coupe just arriving in dealerships now.

www.leftlanenews.com...

So clearly, with the example above, the workers were working their rear's off to make a competitive product, but in some boardroom, a deal was struck to close-up shop regardless of their effort. I thought the bailout was supposed to alleviate the pressure, but I guess, apparently not? The above example, is just one indicator, but there are many others to take into account on the health of the economy at present. I just used the Saturn situation as an example.

Folks, this is the crime of the century and a blatant robbery by the elite, and if the American people don't ask questions in mass, the information may be lost forever about why it happened. They are currently in the process of distorting and censoring. The American people read and hear about it in the news and in government reports everyday, but it is tactfully crafted fiction to subdue and placate. This information should be taken with a grain of salt, but by many, it is considered gospel and independent research is treated like a red-headed step child. The naivety is what scares me, because it is they, who are losing everything, not the firmly entrenched elite, with their treasure chests and investment properties. If they lose anything, it is most likely a discrepancy on a spreed sheet. I am talking about the filthy rich, not the lower tier millionaires, because they are taking a hit as well. As some have said, if nothing is done, the United States may reach third world status while the wealthy laugh their way to the bank.

[edit on 3-10-2009 by Jakes51]

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by space cadet
reply to post by HunkaHunka

Unexpectedly? Really? I have been 'expecting' my job to fold anytime, like many other hotels a decrease in travel has been stressing the hotel I work in the the limits! We have all taken cuts in hours, pay, and now our paid vacations. 2 other hotels have already closed, and we are one of the lucky ones, location and repeat customers are the only thing keeping this boat from sinking!

Looking around town, every single plant has closed. Smaller new ones have opened that are all owned by Japanese business men (who stay in the hotels) a plant that employed 1500 or more closes and one opens that employs 150 or less.

Budweiser is closing it's plant here this month. I figured beer was safe, but apparently it isn't .

Welcome to life... it has ALWAYS been this way.. nothing is ever "SAFE", nor has it been.

That's why I put my faith in the unexpected, because when you least it expect it, you get just what you least expect... Rather good or bad... Because the good or bad is all in how you orient yourself to the unexpected...

Be Your Own God!

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   
its not a matter of actual job cuts increasing or accelerating

its a matter of the real facts catching up with the lies that the BLS puts out about unemployment.
See, its impossible to conceal that the real life unemployment is closer to 17+%, when the Main Street population actually see a different picture of the nation than the propagandist figures of big govt.

the BLS uses the 'birth death model' in creating their stastistics,
and for months now the BLS had issued figures that were way below the actual numbers of those laid-off or given the pink slip...

and right now, at 1 Oct, the 'Unexpected' are those already unemployed for months, being slowly added to the current real world numbers.

the govt & the BLS were/are crossing their fingers that the economy recovers before they have to dig deep and keep posting upward revised unemployment numbers & add more than another 3 million (of the hidden) unemployed to their current figures.

JUST TO ADD:

Jakes51 was wondering the rate of unemployment for teens/young men-women.... it's close to 52% according to other sources such as Chapman

[edit on 3-10-2009 by St Udio]

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   
One manufacturer of goods who I will not name did this from the mid-eighties until now.

Building products in Canada, moved production the United States to cheapen it's labor costs in the late eighties. Then in the around 2002 moved production to Mexico again to save labor cost's. In 2008 moved production to China again to save labor costs. The point is if we produce nothing in North America we will end up with only service sector jobs, not good for our integrated North American economy.

I am beginning to think the the government needs to curb the free market to protect some jobs.

How about fortress North America full free trade for the three countries but 30% tariffs on everybody else.

Lets force some manufacturing back into North America, the cheap stuff can be built in Mexico.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Blue_Jay33

Thats a terrific idea... although, someone in North America will have to start buying our debt :-)

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   
No surprise and it's only going to get worse until someone make an honest effort to create work for the people. That's not asking for a hand out, as people had jobs until the bankers locked up the money because they were broke but were still able to afford huge bonuses.

Star and flag

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Jakes51

What we are experiencing is a full-scale robbery on epic proportions and yet the American people are still in the dark. The facts are still watered down or conveniently absent from any reports by the MSM or the government.

Just wanted to repeat this, as it describes our current and past state of affairs to a "T".
Land of the greed, home of the .......

Some have perfected cronyism into an art form.
It has been happening for decades and will continue, as long as we let it.

If the bailout of the rich isnt enough of a clue, nothing will be.
Greed, apparently, is the unseen enemy from within.....

What kind of society gives hard earned tax dollars to the corrupt
failed banks? Anyone see anything at all wrong with this?
Apparently not enough.

[edit on 3-10-2009 by dodadoom]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join