It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jobs Cuts Unexpectedly Accelerate

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 10:04 AM
link   

online.wsj.com

WASHINGTON -- Employers eliminated more jobs than expected last month as the unemployment rate climbed to 9.8%, another sign that a rapid recovery in the labor market is unlikely.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Well, this is always the last thing to come back... so I'm not sure why everyone in the media is acting all out of shape about this.

The labor market is always the last to recover...

Give it time folks give it time. We WILL come out of the recession, and although the housing market will not be in a new bubble it, like the tech bubble, will come back as a normal viable industry.

online.wsj.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 10:08 AM
link   
How is this Breaking alternative news?

Seriously.

It is not Breaking news... I heard about it yesterday... It aint alternative...It is a fluff piece of a story about a subject we all know is bad..

What is breaking and alternative about it?

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

Give it time folks give it time. We WILL come out of the recession, and although the housing market will not be in a new bubble it, like the tech bubble, will come back as a normal viable industry.

The question is when???? How much longer????

I'm trying to be optimistic. What other signs do you think we should take into account to show that we are recovering?

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Well JayinAR has repeatedly told us that he is building houses and selling them like nothing ever happened.

Wall Street is seeing rallies... investment funds are investing again

Eventually those investments will be used as capital to hire on new people and expand business.

I think there are a lot of indicators... but the Job market has to come back before the American Psyche recovers.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   
when companies start hiring, most of the jobs will be low wage, part time, no benefits positions...this country is heading for third world status.
the idea of doing better than your parents is now just a dream, i guess you could call it the new american dream, because anybody believing it is asleep.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

Im not sure I believe that. The "recovery" in the economy has been largely artificial, the result of massive government spending. Such spending was a gamble, in the hopes that propping up the economy for a while with tax dollars would build a bridge to recovery. But there is no reason for a recovery, nor any means for one. The same problems that lead to this recession are still there. This is a systemic failure brought on by a boom-bust economy, paired with a government policy of economic intervention and heavy taxation. Once the government money dries up, so will the economy.

The big hope is alternative energy spurring growth. Problem is, there is no NEED for it. Despite efforts to manipulate oil and fuel prices in the US, the cost of "fossil fuels" vs a conversion to new energy simply does not bear out. Will the new industry come to life still? Sure, to a point. But most of the money coming in and going out is going to be little more than recycled government money, with only marginal growth. There is certain not near enough demand to fuel a bubble, especially not with all the new oil reserves recently discovered. I think the "cap and trade" BS is meant to try to force a conversion to this new industry and spark a bubble, but I think the opposition to such blatant dishonesty will be too high to ever make that tact effective.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Check these figures:

According to Bloomberg on this article published today, 7.2 MILLION jobs have been lost in less than two years.
LINK

September’s losses bring total jobs lost since the recession began in December 2007 to 7.2 million, the biggest decline since the Great Depression.

Even if the economy somehow manages to restore these 7.2 million lost jobs back in place at a rate of let's say 100,000 jobs per month (that's being modest) it will take approximately 6+ years to do so.

And I thought the economy was 'back from the brink' Silly me,

[edit on 2-10-2009 by joscarfas]

[edit on 2-10-2009 by joscarfas]

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by joscarfas

That's because the game is changing... it happens everytime we go through major changes like this.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I agree that jobs are the key to a full recovery.

They will never come back because we have outsourced everything that can be outsourced.

The only way the United states can generate jobs that compete with third world wages is if we innovate and invent technology that replaces third world workers. In other words, creating robotic technology that will work for a few pennies a day instead of a dollar a day (such as Chinese workers and Indian Programmers).

The only way Americans can be employed once again is by making sure the rest of the world stays unemployed. Like it or not, standard of living is a zero-sum game.

[edit on 2-10-2009 by SpookHunter]

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by joscarfas

Indeed, and the odds of that are even less likely, when you factor in how many new, short term jobs were created by "stimulus" money. Those will dry up in the next couple of years, making it even harder to make jobs gains, unless new, taxpayer financed jobs are created. With more taxes. Draining the pool even more.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by SpookHunter

I don't know about that. What drives jobs out of the country isn't wages, its taxation. Wages are a deductible expense; taxes eat up profits. Companies run to third-world countries because they aren't taxed into oblivion there.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Thats not true at all... you assume that there is a finite number of jobs in the world. A new technology can change this and create a huge demand for jobs.

It is not a closed system....

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I'm sorry but I just cannot be as optimistic about the economy as you can Hunka. Much respect to you, but i'm wondering what is going to happen with small businesses in the next year or so. I doubt that we've seen the end of small business taking the hit for the big guy, and if small business still stands to take another hit than that means that even more jobs are going to be lost.

I'm also wondering about the state of the commercial real estate market. There are so many empty commercial properties and I am worried that it is yet another bubble that has yet to burst.

If anybody has pertinent information indicating the opposite than I would be more than glad to hear what you have to say!!! Nobody in their right mind WANTS all of this crap to be happening

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Well so far retailers are to hold on the seasonal holiday hiring also and give more hours to existing employees.

So only ToysRus are the ones to hired about 30,000 new workers nation wide.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

Thats not true at all... you assume that there is a finite number of jobs in the world. A new technology can change this and create a huge demand for jobs.

It is not a closed system....

Stardard of living (as in who gets the most toys) is absolutely, most definitely, a closed system. How many people have burger flipping jobs is irrelevant.
We as Americans must invent robotics technology that replaces third world workers, and we must keep that technology *IN* in the United States, well protected from pirating nations such as China.

That is how you compete with someone half a planet away, stealing your job for 1/10th the wage. You fire them with your superior, more cost effective technology.

[edit on 2-10-2009 by SpookHunter]

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by saturnine_sweet

It's not that simple. The wages have a direct impact on the cost of the goods or service. That's why the U.S. can't compete when the same product can be manufactured overseas for 20% of the cost to do it here. That's the reason companies are leaving, not taxes. Many companies are still U.S. companies but are outsourcing various aspects of their business to overseas operations. They're still being taxed in the U.S. but not having to pay U.S. wages.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Bureau of Labor Statistics has the national average unemployment rate now at 9.8%

data.bls.gov...

And while Obama's administration may not have promised outright that the unemployment rate would never exceed 8%, they were touting "The Job Impact of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Plan" in their push to pass the trillion dollar stimulus package.

That report did state that with Obama's trillion dollar economic stimulus package that unemployment would bottom out at just under 8%.

So here we are ... 9.8% unemployment, trillions more dollars in debt than what Bush left us and millions of American people at the mercy of creditors who are jacking up interest rates like there is no tomorrow.

This is what you call a recovery???

[edit on 2-10-2009 by sos37]

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by saturnine_sweet

Good point.

Don't you just love the MSM using the word 'unexpectedly'

Factory orders fall unexpectedly in August
Consumer confidence unexpectedly falls in September
Manufacturing Weakness: Orders Fall Unexpectedly

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Well, first off we need to discount the gov't numbers as more propaganda.

But the Household Data is VASTLY worse than reported. Here are the month-over-month changes, and they're in the realm of frightening. (all numbers in thousands)

Employed: 140,074 down to 139,079 this month.

The fact of the matter is that nearly 1 million fewer people were working in September as compared to August; there has been absolutely no improvement in that trend whatsoever.

market-ticker.org...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join