It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Evolution of Beauty

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   
A friend posted this alternate reality on another site. Titled evolution, it makes me wonder where we are headed with the ideas of beauty in women. How far can we push this idea before it swings back and hits us in the eye?

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   

And be sure to watch this

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   
LMAO this is getting moved to BTS now. Thanks.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by seagrass

But it hasn't been moved.

Hope to see more discussion going on, from now on.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I do believe that a persons most beautiful features are their eyes and their smile as they reveal the essence of the soul and spirit. Fortunate are those that can see past the superficial dressings with which people adorn themselves.

Nice thread.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 07:06 PM
link   
And this is exactly why that French initiative about warning labels on airbrushed photos actually sounds rather sensible.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by sad_eyed_lady

In principle, that is true.
However, it is perfectly possible to "lie" with the eyes.

The voice - that's a different story...
The walk (gait) can also be revealing.
And the hands simply CANNOT lie.

But that's a different story altogether...

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Those videos were fantastic .

-----------------------

Wasn`t there some studies that revealed a mathematical ratio for what we regard as a beautiful face.
The more symmetrical the face , the more appealing it appears .

And that this physical symmetry of the face, reflects genetic health , left/right brain hemisphere development etc.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by UmbraSumus

And that this physical symmetry of the face, reflects genetic health , left/right brain hemisphere development etc.

Which is TOTAL bunkum - and you can quote me on that.

[edit on 25-11-2009 by Vanitas]

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vanitas

[edit on 25-11-2009 by Vanitas]
Ok.

I think both kinds of beauty exist. Asymmetric and symmetric.

Whether you look at it as entertainment, or art, it is still a work of fiction.
Make-up is a work of fiction or an art, or entertainment. We decorate ourselves to enhance or disguise. From transvestites to movie actors. Even the good looking 'enhance' themselves by whatever means.
We always want to be better than we are. It's our nature to grow and improve, even if it is fiction.

Yeah and there is some kind of hip ratio that is most conducive for childbirth.. and conversely is more attractive to men.
Here is the same sort of thing done to children, I believe the last boy is airbrushed, enhanced or something... Somehow it doesn't seem so bad?

[edit on 26-11-2009 by seagrass]

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Nice, I've seen that before and It's so true. I feel sorry for girls who want to be models. What a blow it must be to your self esteem to have someone change so much about you to make you look perfect...because you're just not 'good enough'...

Will show this to my little sister, she is turning 18 so it might help her.

Good vid, thanks1
S+F

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 01:55 AM
link   
I couldn't get my video to load with edit.. See above for comment

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by UmbraSumus

Wasn`t there some studies that revealed a mathematical ratio for what we regard as a beautiful face. The more symmetrical the face , the more appealing it appears .

Yess, from top to bottom you should be able to divide your face into 3 equal parts. The length of your face should be 1 1/2 times loner than the width.

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 02:06 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0213220c408a.jpg[/atsimg]
I dunno? what do you think? I think she looks better asymmetrically.

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 03:50 AM
link   

I think she looks weirs asymmetrically...almost squint,lol! She looks a lot better normally. My opinion though.

[edit on 06/10/2009 by jinx880101]

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vanitas

Fair enough .

---------------------

Could you expand upon it a little ?

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Oh, I wasn't referring to beauty as being necessarily symmetric!
I was talking about that old tale of facial symmetry being an indicator of the equally "symmetric" functioning of the brain hemispheres. That's BUNK.

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by UmbraSumus

I wish I could - just "a little", I mean.

But it's a subject that requires unusually long-winded explanations to get anywhere.

I could talk about my own observations, but without knowing more about me and my experiences, it would be rather irrelevant.
I'll see if I can find a good article about it - if there are any.
This subject is curiously under-researched - which is precisely why old theories still can hold some sway, I suppose. (I remember reading a book published in the late 1980s - ! - that mentioned, in passing, that criminals often had very asymmetric faces...
If anything, the opposite is true.)

In short, there seems to be absolutely no correlation between the (a)symmetry of the facial bone structure and the functioning of the brain hemispheres.

[edit on 26-11-2009 by Vanitas]

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   

So do I.
And it's no wonder: I think it's precisely the perceived "flaws" (from the standpoint of mathematical proportions, or "symmetry") what gives room for the imagination of the onlooker to breathe in that little extra something - that inkling of the "transcendental" that is inseparable from our conception of beauty.

[edit on 26-11-2009 by Vanitas]

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   

If it wasn't for her hair, I don't know if I'd even notice the difference. Maybe that's why she's so hot. LOL

top topics

<<   2 >>

join