It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Planet Found Where Rock's Form and Fall Like Rain

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Computer models of COROT-7b, a planet orbiting an orange dwarf star in the constellation Monoceros, 490 light years away, suggest that the world has a surface temperature hot enough to boil rock. The research, by scientists at Washington University in St Louis, Missouri, conjures up a vision of hell. COROT-7b, a rocky planet around twice the size of the Earth but of similar density, is only 1.6 million miles from its star: 23 times closer than the innermost planet in our solar system, Mercury, is to the Sun. This proximity means that the planet is gravitationally locked, like the Moon to the Earth, so that one side of the planet always faces the star. So while its far side is in perpetual freezing darkness – around 50 degrees above absolute zero – its near side is a balmy 2,800C. While scientists are not sure of the exact chemical makeup of the planet, the sheer temperatures mean that whatever it is, the rocky ground will boil, forming a mineral atmosphere. And when cold fronts move in, small pebbles will condense and form rain and hail, just like water on Earth. Professor Bruce Fegley, one of the team behind the research, said: "The only atmosphere this object has is produced from vapor arising from hot molten silicates in a lava lake or lava ocean.

Well if there's a hell in the universe i guess this crazy world would be it.

"As you go higher the atmosphere gets cooler and eventually you get saturated with different types of 'rock' the way you get saturated with water in the atmosphere of Earth. "But instead of a water cloud forming and then raining water droplets, you get a 'rock cloud' forming and it starts raining out little pebbles of different types of rock." Prof Fegley and his associate Laura Schaefer carried out the research using the modelling programme MAGMA. They had previously used the software to model the volcanoes on Jupiter’s moon Io. COROT-7b was discovered by the European Space Agency space telescope COROT in February, but the Washington University researchers were the first to model its atmosphere.

Every new planet they find is more interesting and intense then the previous, the universe is a miraculous place.

Telegraph

[edit on 10/1/2009 by Alaskan Man]

[edit on 10/1/2009 by Alaskan Man]

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   
If the scientists story is accurate, I'm amazed that this kind of temperature differential combined with the gravitational pull of the sun doesn't just rip this planet apart.

Amazing stuff!

IRM

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 11:03 PM
link   
sooooo thats what happens when you suddenly find yourself in close proximity to a dwarf star.....

aahhhh fire and brimstone hailing from the sky....

Helooooo Nemesis / Nibiruuuuuu......

-

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by prevenge

... *sigh*
We already are in the proximity of a dwarf star. The sun is a dwarf star.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by debunky

... *sigh*
We already are in the proximity of a dwarf star. The sun is a dwarf star.

true.. i just learned that . thanks.

ok.. what i mean is CLOSE proximity... ie: lunar-distance flyby .. as per all the mumbo jumbo ala Sitchin.. etc...

and that would be TWO dwarf stats.. tyvm

-

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Please prevenge... let's not degrade this thread into folly & superstitious talk of Nibiru. We have Skunkworks for that kind of junk mate! This thread is far more interesting than that.

IRM

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Wow

What a truly amazing find!

Imagine having rock fall as rain....an umbrella wouldnt do you much good in those conditions

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 12:13 AM
link   
I find it amazing that a planet so close to a star could have such drastic extremes in temperature from one side to the other. To think that one side is hot enough to boil rock while the other side is close to absolute zero is just crazy! It makes me wonder what other sorts of extreme environments will be found as technology allows us Earthlings to observe other heavenly bodies from afar.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan

Please prevenge... let's not degrade this thread into folly & superstitious talk of Nibiru. We have Skunkworks for that kind of junk mate! This thread is far more interesting than that.

IRM

k no prob...

it is fascinating.. imagine the condensation factor? ... metallic beads forming on masses of heavier elements...

-

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Well, energy is extracted by exploiting a difference in potential, and this planet has it in spades.

I think life grows on the rim of a seething couldron.

new topics

top topics

join