It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Half of babies 'will live to 100'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   
From the BBC:

More than half of babies now born in the UK and other wealthy nations will live to 100 years, researchers say.

The study, published in The Lancet journal, also says the extra years are spent with less serious disability.

Data from more than 30 developed countries shows that since 1950 the probability of surviving past 80 years of age has doubled for both sexes.

One expert said healthy behaviours for all ages was the key to enjoying living a long life.

Professor Kaare Christensen, of the Danish Ageing Research Centre at the University of Southern Denmark, who led the study, said life expectancy had been increasing since 1840 and there was no sign of this trend slowing down.

Read the rest at news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   
I notice people seem younger than they did in the 90s (I'm only 19 and even I can attest to this from experience). I met a 24 year old guy today who looked 18. People act younger too, I see 40, 50 year olds playing video games and talking about cool stuff all the time. These people were the kids of the 70s and 80s after all.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Interesting, but I have also heard that the Children of Gen X will have a shorter lifespan than Gen X will due to environmental conditions such as pollution, chemical food additives, stronger viruses and less exposure to beneficial bacteria.

Some how I doubt medical advances in their lifetime will give them an edge over us children that grew up playing outdoors in the dirt. Of course if they can reset the aging gene at their local doctor's office, then all bets are off.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Well with the state of the economy in nations around the world, I guess if they get to live one 100 is because they have the resources to feed themselves, because I bet the rest will die from starvation.

What a future for those that will be living longer.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Oh cmon guys, don't be such negative Nancys! Not all hope is lost.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   
lol I'll only admire that news, if it also says that they've found a cure for dementia and heart disease e.t.c

Fact is right now, we don't seem to be able to last longer than 70 without being held hostage by the plagues of old age. It's all well and good living that long, if you have no severe problems, but, fact is, you probably will, and it'll only draw out a life that you no doubt will wish would of ended sooner.

By that age, you'll be riddled with arthritis, barely able to do anything on your own without assistance. Only a lucky handful are capable of doing their daily routine without being impaired.

I know I sound pessimistic, but, I've spent a lot of time working with people of these age groups, and even living with one or two of them.

If they can prevent the brain degrading, and our bodies, then declare we are living longer as a good thing, I'll be a very happy man.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   
That is rather interesting, but taken into mind that from this possibility the ratio of seniors in the near future will drastically increase. I'd assume the retirement age will move into the ages of 70 and upwards.... rather interesting.... while Asia and Africa will have plenty of youth... though if thinks continue there as they are with war and famine I doubt even that the youth of third world nations will survive and be able to supplement the aging human race...

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 09:46 PM
link   
We're living longer and acting younger.
The average age of video gamers in Australia is 25 I think.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Nventual

too true.... maybe
maybe 40 is the new 20?

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   
This is just my theory, but here goes..

I'm 19, and my generation will eventually "rule" the world and create everything in it, judge people in courts, etc. My generation is a lot more laid back and down to earth than (most) of the generation currently running (for lack of better word) the world. So in 20 years I think life will go back to sort of what it was like in the 90s (but more chilled out), where people are mostly laid back. Then when the next generation is in power it will be even more chilled out. Since there will be less pressures and stress, people will live longer and there will be less medical issues.

What do you reckon?

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nventual
This is just my theory, but here goes..

I'm 19, and my generation will eventually "rule" the world and create everything in it, judge people in courts, etc. My generation is a lot more laid back and down to earth than (most) of the generation currently running (for lack of better word) the world. So in 20 years I think life will go back to sort of what it was like in the 90s (but more chilled out), where people are mostly laid back. Then when the next generation is in power it will be even more chilled out. Since there will be less pressures and stress, people will live longer and there will be less medical issues.

What do you reckon?

i think you're on to something. the 90s to me were the age of the Californian mindset - which is chill and open.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 03:21 AM
link   
reply to post by ineverknew

So what are your thoughts? Do you agree with the article?

We want your opinion on an article when you post it as a new thread. Tell us why this is a medical conspiracy or issue in your eyes.

-Dev

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by DevolutionEvolvd

Well, think about how rare it is for a person to reach 100 today. In a few years, it'll be the norm. At 70, the average person would be looking at another 30 years of life. Is that good or bad? I'm not so sure.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ineverknew

If it's done naturally, through diet, I don't see how it could be bad; however, if it's done with pharmaceuticals, I just don't think the benefits would outweigh the negatives.

-Dev

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   
it won't happen i feel, it'S much like the horses**t prophecies of hte 19th century (earth buried in it...) or acid rain, or, once we all can finally wrap our minds around it, global warming.

predictions of today aren't done with an eye on the future, just what's currently the emotional mainstream, if that makes any sense.

f-ex. tell them they'll live to 100 (they won't) but the deadline is far off (like in GW) and a few people might be influenced to demand a later retirement age, NOW. this of course means $$$$$$$ more or less, doesn't it?

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   
While there is a good chance that science will discover secrets that will prolong our lives to an average of a 100 within the next few years. In fact certain suppressed technologies can already accomplish this.

However, a more likely scenario is that we will pollute the oceans to the point where we will kill them. This will result in a runaway greenhouse situation, plunging us first into extreme heat then dense darkness at the surface. Agriculture will become impossible leading to the demise of the human race.

For this reason babies born today stand almost no chance of reaching 50.

new topics

top topics

join