It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No wonder we are in debt...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Well, I always wondered what type of subsidies farmers earned. So just after doing a quick Google search, and coming to the Washington Post, I found this article.

www.washingtonpost.com...

Yet under a federal agriculture program approved by Congress, his 18-acre suburban lot receives about $1,300 in annual "direct payments," because years ago the land was used to grow rice.

A person who owns land that once used to be farmed on, gets government money (really "our money"), for not even farming. But because it USED to be farmed on.

What the heck?

No matter how widespread this is, it is a joke. I could not even imagine something like that happening to me...

I have come up with a new word. Joax. In spanish, it is pronounced Hoax, but in english looks like Jokes. It is a combination of both! Our government is a giant joax...

The article is around 3 years old, but how long have we been in debt? So yes, it is contributing and has contributed to the problem.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by FritosBBQTwist

I know right, way to bring more corruption to light. Here is my way of fighting back www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by poedxsoldiervet

My advice to you...

If they try and take everything of yours through force, one way or another, just rob a bank, commit a few felonies, and land yourself some hard time. Just don't hurt anyone

You will then get a home and free food!

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 06:47 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by FritosBBQTwist

Amen!

This is exactly what is wrong with this country.

Instead of paying people to produce food, which could then go into a national stockpile for emergencies, we are paying people either to do nothing, or to destroy the food.

Either way, it amounts to paying not to have the food on the market, thus driving up food costs, which causes household expenses to rise, and people to go even more into debt. The extra money spent on food by people could be spent in other areas of the economy, further creating growth and prosperity.

But instead, we drive people further into debt, forcing some to buy groceries on credit...which will have interest payments down the road...brilliant, just freaking brilliant.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   
That is someone who is not doing their job. They are not checking to see if the person is actually farming or not.

I have relatives who do property tax assessments. If you are trying to claim your a farm and your not growing anything, you bet they will take you off farm status.

This has to do with lower level inspectors.

This is also fraud on behalf of the people claiming it.

[edit on 1-10-2009 by nixie_nox]

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Article said that the person wanted to give it back because he did not "earn" it, but they said they would just relocate the money, so he decided to keep it.

So they know he is committing fraud?

I am almost positive this isn't a widespread problem, just a minor problem like this, but it just annoys me that things like this even happen...

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by FritosBBQTwist
My advice to you...

If they try and take everything of yours through force, one way or another, just rob a bank, commit a few felonies, and land yourself some hard time. Just don't hurt anyone

You will then get a home and free food!

Well, that's a good idea up to a certain point. Then you have that whole, "Don't drop the soap" thing to worry about. Sort of takes away the fun of three hots and a cot.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by jerico65

Don't worry, they switched to "liquid" soap years back

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 01:45 AM
link   
yeah, it's ridiculous,, to throw food away when people, children are starving to death

also,, in ron paul's book revolution, manifesto,,, he talks how each family pays an extra 15 bucks a year for sugar,,,,, because of subsidies and tariffs to help florida sugar farmers,,,, instead of sugar from cuba or s. america,,,,, and another reason for HFCS being used instead of real sugar

good facts in this video,,, rich farmers get the subsidies ,,, not local, small family farms

great video,,,, gov't workers have got 6.2 million in farm subsidies in 10 years,,,,, many have addresses in manhattan

ahh, the great john stossel,,, man is he great,,, exposing it all

this was a great post,,, an inportant issue,,,, and should have tons of clicks, stars and replies,,, but alas it's just us few,,,,,,

top topics

join