It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are the UK's MOBO (Music Of Black Origin) awards racist?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I just thought I'd give this up to ATS as I always feel uneasy when the MOBOs come around.

Or am I just being silly? I just feel that in this day and age, to have an award that is only open to music of 'black' origin is a step in the wrong direction.

The Music of Black Origin (MOBO) Awards, established in 1995 by Kanya King MBE and Andy Ruffell, are held annually in the United Kingdom to recognise artists of any race or nationality performing black music.

For the first time, the 2009 awards will be held in the City of Glasgow in Scotland. It has been held in London since its launch in 1995.

Wikipedia

Okay, so the performers don't have to be black, but the music does.

Imagine a MOWO (Music of White Origin) awards? I know, it would be seriously rubbish but you get the point.

Any thoughts?

CX

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 06:13 PM
link   
No major thoughts as such, i think think most of the music industry these days is so far up it's own backside, it's offputting to even watch these shows.

I do wonder what would be said if a "Music of white origin" show was aired?

CX.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Yes i think that they are extremely racist. For one if me being a white person wanted to do anything like that at all i would be a racist. So it is not fair that blacks can have it.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   
yes it is totally racisist does one remember when that black american guy who calles himself puff daddy told only black people must stand up at the mobo's

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 06:32 PM
link   
It is not just racist the MOBO awards are illegal. This is because under european union law: and uk law: it is illegal for anyone to have an increased chance of getting or not getting something good or bad because of race. I actually emailed a UK government department: civil service I think it was: and they said yes it was illegal you can sue them if you want to: meaning that the government was not enforcing the rules because the awards are racist in favor of black people. The concept of black pro racism not being treat in a legal and far way is more or less part of the system now. But in this case it is definitely illegal when will the stupidity of governments and civil servants reduce to a level where they realize that not treating people fairly and the same will cause racist attacks when people realise that the government wont treat laws as applying equally to all races.
Just because something is racist against white people does not mean it doesn't count.

posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: kiwifoot

Yes.

top topics

join