It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Debtors Revolt M Beginning

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Let me ask this question...

Why do you spend money that you do not have, and then blame someone else when you cannot repay the debt?

Sorry, but you and your ilk ARE what is wrong with this country. You're no better than the very debtors you are "revolting" against...

You needed money you didn't have, so they gave you money they didn't have, and now they want to collect so that they can repay their own debts. You're not holding up your end of the bargain.

What's the difference in the strain in the economical system of this nation that you are directly causing as opposed to that of someone on wellfare?

Not much, other than you feel you're somewhat better off, I suppose...

This isn't a personal attack, as several folks here have shared your sentiments...

But seriously people, it's time to wake up and take responsibility for your own actions and stop blaming institutions designed to help you... Why should anyone take your blight seriously when it is you who got yourself into it in the first place?

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 08:23 AM
link   
My answer is to pay off credit cards, and loans at an accelerated rate. This way they don't get the interest income they project, and actually show a loss against projections.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by sticky
reply to post by John_Q_Llama

There isn't anything we can do about the collapse. It is going to happen. I know that everyone doesn't believe everything I do about what's going on in the world around us. My beliefs aren't dependent on yours, thank goodness

I suggest you dig for truth. It is very liberating.

And yes, even this is connected to it.

Please, enlighten us with this truth you mentioned.

I am well aware that we cannot do anything about the collapse. But that doesn't mean we, the common citizen, are dismissed from the moral obligation to do what is right.

You expressed a gladness that your beliefs aren't dependent on mine. Well I have to express a gladness that my moral compass isn't dependent on yours. It is my belief that credit cards and debt are terrible things that has allowed me to stay away from both for my entire life. I am very careful, responsible, and frugal with my money, and I only spend the money that I possess or, on the two occasions I did have loans, I was very very cautious in determining whether or not I'd even be able to pay them off within a year. Right now I can say without a doubt that my wary view of credit, along with my high level of responsibility in spending my own money, have proven to be well worth it. I've been out of work for almost a year now and still have plenty of money set aside to continue living the way I have been since I began living on my own in the "real world". So I fail to see how my beliefs, my being responsible, and my distaste for debt and credit are somehow wrong if they've helped me to stay out of financial trouble.

I'm not trying to pick a fight with you, Sticky. I respect you and your beliefs, whatever they might be. But just try to realize that perhaps there are other views which might make sense as well.
Whatever the case, I do agree that the credit industry needs a good kick in the crotch, and then a couple hard cracks to the back of the head while doubled over in pain. My way to keep em dissatisfied is not to use credit, while yours happens to be much different. Nothing wrong with that.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by concernedcitizan
reply to post by tk1967

That is why one puts aside money for the preverbial rainy day.

Comments like this drive me straight up a wall!

I'm a responsible employed person. I have never been without a job. Neither has my husband. We live in a average home, make an average amount of money, have average to below average expenses and very little debt. We have few if any "luxuries" but we live a comfortable, happy life.

We have a couple of thousand dollars in savings - if that - and that's it. I would love for someone to explain to me, in detail, how to save money in America. It's not like twenty or thirty years ago. Hell, it's not like ten years ago.

Life is expensive. The minimum costs a maximum. Savings? I don't see it. Not with my budget, not with my sibling's budgets, not with my neighbors.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by sadchild01
reply to post by poedxsoldiervet

good good , this is what you americans deserve for murdering innocents across the world and spreading propaganda and i hope you get worser for your karma

Wow. That's got to be one of the silliest things I've seen in a while.

Did it ever occur to you that there isn't some tour that every American citizen has to go on where we murder one or more foreign people. No, the vast majority of American's are good people. But we live in a country where the government has it's own agenda. And that agenda is one that a lot of people here do not agree with.

So please don't lump us all together as murderers who parade the globe spreading lies and doing other bad things. We're not!

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack

Originally posted by concernedcitizan
reply to post by tk1967

That is why one puts aside money for the preverbial rainy day.

Comments like this drive me straight up a wall!

I'm a responsible employed person. I have never been without a job. Neither has my husband. We live in a average home, make an average amount of money, have average to below average expenses and very little debt. We have few if any "luxuries" but we live a comfortable, happy life.

We have a couple of thousand dollars in savings - if that - and that's it. I would love for someone to explain to me, in detail, how to save money in America. It's not like twenty or thirty years ago. Hell, it's not like ten years ago.

Life is expensive. The minimum costs a maximum. Savings? I don't see it. Not with my budget, not with my sibling's budgets, not with my neighbors.

You're playing the zero sum game. Average income compared to average expenses = 0. This means there's either room to earn more money you're not seeing...or cutting expenses you deem needful but are in fact not. ...Complacency is the enemy here.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   

You should be careful when borrowing cash.... in fact if you can get through life without borrowing a single penny from anyone, then you will be much better off in the long run.... i have only ever borrowed once from my bank and that was a 3,000 loan for a course i never completed and even then i didn't need to borrow but took the loan just i case an emergency came up and i couldn't complete the course which is exactly what happened... luckily i was covered by insurance and i didn't have to pay it back out of my own pocket.... but yeh, i see what you are saying.... when you need something and you have no means to pay (like a house) then you have to borrow from somewhere... only catch is you are left paying back for the rest of your life all the interest unless you win big on the lottery or sports betting!!!

One thing i dislike about banks or money lenders is they don't really give any leeway on a borrowed amount.... once the payment is due, it's due... like i say best thing to do is not borrow if you can.....

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by incoserv
I don't know that this will count for anything, but maybe somebody will read it and think.

The problem here, people, is NOT the big ugly banks. Yes, bankers are right up there with lawyers and politicians in my book: all cads, liars, thieves general b@%^@$ds. What else would you expect from them? Fish are wet. Crap stinks. Bankers are thieves.

The problem we are facing here is not what the bankers have done. I've never, ever seen anyone making a purchase with a credit card because a banker was standing by with a gun to his or her head.

Someone in this thread mentioned sending back all that broken Chinese crap.

So, WHY DID YOU BUY ALL THAT CHINESE CRAP IN THE FIRST PLACE? Especially if you didn't have the cash to purchase it outright and had to buy it on credit.

See, my family and I live in a 25 year old mobile home that we bought for $7,000. It's clean, comfortable and safe. Mostly, it's MINE. I don't owe a penny on it.

I drive a 1994 Dodge pick-up, my wife a 1998 Honda Accord. Both are in good repair, dependable and presentable. I own them, too.

I don't watch television, but my family does. On a 21" analog box that we bought second hand. I own it, too.

I've lived my life this way. I have always lived well within my means. I have never abused credit. I have never been in debt for any extended period. The only two vehicles I bought on a lone were paid off early, as well the first home we had.

Now, people like me who have been responsible and careful with our money will suffer along with all the idiots who ran around for years buy CHINESE CRAP on credit because they had to have it now.

If you must take some kind of action to protect yourself, do it. But for goodness' sake, don't act like you're some kind of hero!!!!!!

I just wanted to bring this post forward in the discussion...summed it up really good
If you want it, buy it in cash..that is how to revolt against the credit and debt society.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I just thought this song was fitting for this topic...

The artist is the same one from my signature... Animosity... and the song is Commoditism...

What is the capacity of our lives?
How much s*** can we fit to satisfy the fetish
Of material commodities
Possession, the ruler of happiness
I can't resist the overindulgence in this s***
In order to truly understand our ridiculousness
I would have to been stripped
Taken away from my ever growing mountain of bits
It's not just a disorder of the rich
It's nearly American to be stuck in this ditch
Even when the majority is living in the pits
At what f***ing point can we agree that we really have enough?
As the mountain forges upward, we suffocate in an abundant heap of our own chattels
Assets like a drug, to satisfy
Sufficiency is a dream
The modern perception of adequacy is a f***ing disgust
Desire is an infinite void with out borders that can never fulfill the eternal lust
If only we could see the boundaries
Perhaps we would be able to draw the line to separate what we truly need
Self-gratification seems to come wrapped in plastic
With a price tag on it and every f***ing store seems to have it
We are told to soak it up
To keep a full cup
And this is considered a blessing
What the f***?

My only advice is to work hard, get out of your debts, and never enter into them again...

That means getting rid of your credit cards, and stop buying things/making decisions that you cannot afford...

Why do you think so many old-schoolers scoff at some of today's ideals of sufficiency?

My grandfater, 93 this past September, lived through the depression... To this day, he still lives in the same house (over 100 years old), buys the cheap stuff in all forms, maintains a garden, and works hard every day... He's never owned, and never will own, a credit card. He's also never taken out a loan, and he'll never do that either...

Maybe that is what this country needs... another depression. If you think times are bad now, you haven't seen anything... yet.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 09:04 AM
link   

its like getting blood from a rock.

tell them to go to hell

i did a few years back

but they cant take what i dont have so whatever

and that is true about how ignoring them makes the rates go lower and lower.

"WILL YOU PAY THIS INSTEAD?? ... crap"

6 months later

"HOW ABOUT THIS??? YEA??? ... crap he did it again"

6 months later

"HEY LOOK AT THE DEAL WE HAVE FOR YOU! ... honestly?????"

6 months later

"REALLY COME ON PLEASE PAY US ... man this guy is granite"

6 months later

"HOW ABOUT 10% OF ALL OF IT IN A FINAL PAYMENT?? ... i knew we could work out something ... CRAP HE DID IT AGAIN!!"

get lost im not paying you, scumbags

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I have seen some people have come on here and have said it is your fault that you are in that debt. You right, it was my fault, that my wife and I had good jobs and were able to save some money and buy stuff we wanted around our house. You know that crazy idea of purchasing things you want and many not really need.... But then she lost here job, I contiued to be the debt that we accured for ONE WHOLE YEAR, all the time asking the debt compaines to lower my interest rate. I did not ask for a princapal reduction because I knew thta It was my debt and I must pay for it. You Naysayers with me so far? Do I need to recap?

So are savings dwindle the stock market went upside down, my money market accounts and stocks lost 70% of the the Princapal, My house went from being valued at 101,000 to 77,000. My loan on the house is 90,000.
My credit card and ew other small debts sky rocketed (interst rates). Not to mention the cost of gas to get me to work and the kids to class, or the price of food to stock in my Fridge, oh I forgot to mention my home heating bill. (not to mention other crap that my kids nneded for school.)

So after attempting to work with my creditors they told me NO NO NO (sounds like the GOP) after receiving bail out money from our taxes. I finally had enough of there crap. So I know that to get back at someone who hit there bottom line, there pocket if you will, and while I am just a mere .0001 of there bottom line if enough of us stand up say thats it we have had it, there tunes will change real quick..

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   
incidently, remind me to never loan most of you in this thread any money.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by poedxsoldiervet
I told each Debtor this, From this day forward I will not pay you any money, Not for the time share, not for my one credit card, not for my school loans, not for my second mortage( which I got only because I couldnt get this house with out one.) Not the car, not anything.(cept my main Mortage.) I closed out all of my bank accounts and opted for a papercheck at work, I have one account and that is at a credit union. this has been two months and now my phone is ringing off the hook with threats about legal action. But yet not one of them has address my intial grievances HELP ME HELP YOU.

Congrats. Even though you can apply for bankruptcy, you will still have to pay for all your mortgages and college loans. They are NOT covered by applying for bankruptcy. Since your college loan is also considered a mortgage, you now have three mortgages that are delinquent. You are about to loose it all. If you do not turn things around soon, it will take you over 20 years to even qualify for an apartment.

Congrats. You stuck it to yourself and your family. I hope you have relatives to live with, or your going to end up on the street. You only have yourself to blame. That is what you get for living above your means.

[edit on 2-10-2009 by Pathos]

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   

When you have say $1,000.00 in true debt on a credit card at 15%. Now have that rate increase to 30% it only takes one month to start a cycle that if you can’t pay the balance off now compounds each month to quickly get to a point that your minimum payment is more than the principle. How long should we continue being fleeced? A year, two years? How many times should we pay our debt over and over again? It’s not an unwillingness to repay our debts. It’s about being F’ed repeatedly!

The pompous A’s that made those comments don’t get now, but they will soon.

Edit: Spelling error

[edit on 2-10-2009 by VAPatriot]

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   
How is it the creditor's fault that your wife lost her job?

I'll answer for you... it isn't...

You entered into the debt without fully planning for the risks.

You bought things you wanted, as well as things you needed.

If you didn't have enough footing to be able to provide for your children without being in debt (since you claim them as an excuse for a part of it) then why did you decide to conceive?

Sorry if that sounds harsh, but you are the perfect example of what is wrong in this country. You make mistakes due to lack of planning, and then want dodge the responsibility to correct those mistakes.

Get a second job. Have your wife get a minimum wage job. Stop needlessly buying things made in another country that you can just box up later because you don't need them.

Again, I am not trying to sound harsh... just honest...

If you don't see the errors of your ways, your bound to repeat them in the future..

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by VAPatriot

Maybe you shouldn't have that $1,000 debt in the first place... Then they can hike the rate to 100% and it won't affect you in the least...

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Why do you spend money that you do not have,
and then blame someone else when you cannot repay
the debt?

There was a time when anything over 18% interest meant that you were
dealing with Organized Crime. What nearly all of us missed was that
organized crime moved into the banks, bought off the legislators and
pretended what they were doing was legal.

Sure this man borrowed money and promised to pay it back. He thought
he was protected by the rule of law. He didn't realize how his government
let him be screwed.

27% interest isn't about paying back what he promised, its about legalized theft.

If people really woke up, we'd probably drive up to North Dakota and burn
down the Capitol for legalizing these crooked card deals to create a few
local jobs.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Azazelus

Again your right, BUT I tried for a WHOLE YEAR to bring down the interest rate after THEY RAISED IT. I bought these things because we could afford them on a payment plan. That was a bad move and it was also why we both were working good jobs. (She is now an assistant manger at family dollar making $8.25 an hour.)

My whole points is # happens in life, My savings account had 20,000, my Money market funds, mutual funds, and stocks was well over 75,000. That changed in one whole day when the collapsed now as I mentioned earlier I lost over 70% of my principal. 70%. I began to use our savings to pay the bills on top of my paychecks to pay the bills, All the while begging them to lower the ridiculous interest rate they sky rocketed.

So if you cant see why I have decided to tell them to sod off then nothing anyone’s says will change your opinion.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Pathos

actually you are right on that. I have made payments on those, recently, someone else told me its not a good idea to default on a secong moratge or student loans. those are the only three loans/ credit I am paying on everyone else can kiss my arse.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Azazelus

How nice for you to be in the extreme minority that does not need credit. You assume a lot. You know nothing of the circumstances of what many hard working, responsible people are in. That is very obvious from your comments. Walk a mile I my shoes before you cast judgment.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join