It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Today in Washington DC ... [updated]

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Stared and flagged

I've been to DC, been robbed at gun point in DC. By far the filthist, sorriest, most worthless town in America. Every city in America should see what DC is so they do not become what it is. DC is a mecca where scum assemble and every US congressman knows it. DC does not represent what America truely is, but does represent the worst part of it.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

To anyone who sees this type of thing happen in the future, If you can do nothing else, knock on doors and recruit men to help form a human chain around the victims belongings untill someone with a bucket can gather funds from passing motorist to get a truck and put the victims stuff in storage for 3 months. Tell the men to bring ball bats. I cried my eyes out when I read this post and looked at the pictures.
I'm an old woman too and this could be me at any time. However when I see it coming......they will be taking my dead body out as well as my belongings. Some of us just don't have the strenght to fight anymore.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 10:19 AM
link   
This is a poignant example of what happens if a society is broken up. If a society is exposed to greed for decennia. If the difference between high- and low incomes becomes greater than a certain level. Greed suddenly becomes accepted, or worse, it becomes the norm. "They all do it, even the higher-up, so it must be allright..". In small towns in America's agricultural communities, stuff like this would be un-imaginable.Everyone knows about everyone, and people tend to pool together if someone is in trouble. In big, anonymous, city neighbourhoods on the other hand, most people do not even know their neighbours, most times even fear them.

For a nice illustration of how detrimental widening income gaps and dissolving communities can be, read:

"The Spirit Level" Why More Equal Societies Almost Always Do Better.
by Richard Wilkinson and Kate Pickett(Cambridge and Cornell trained Professors..so, not the least of people)

And before anyone shouts :"European commies" .. The results go for American states too.
DC isn't exactly the best example of income and rights equality, to say the least...

[edit on 10/3/2009 by diakrite]

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   
:sigh: I had to reply to this post. Long-time reader, but this is my maiden voyage as a poster on ATS.

There is something very wrong with people, nowadays. I'm seeing it more and more. People preying on those they consider "weaker" than themselves, mob-mentality, elitism, bloodlust, hightened aggression, the list goes on.

I wish I could blame it on too much UFC or gangsta hip-hop but, such cliched factors aside, it seems to be an emotional shift. People are becoming more animal than human. And it scares me. A lot.

I had a frightening incident about a week ago, when I was at a friend's house. We were in a comletely different room, having no contact with the offending group (friend's brother's friends), when one of them decided to come by and make a rude comment directed at me. I ignored it, figuring that was that. Then 2 came...then 3...then 5... These were strangers, men in their late 20's, verbally attacking me for no discernable reason whatsoever, and the more I ignored it, the more they riled themselves up, like wolves before a hunt, eyes becoming wider and aggression increasing, threatening, challenging. It was insanity. I had to leave. They were teetering on the edge of violence and to what end? For what purpose?

The next day, while waiting in a drive through, there was an SUV full of obviously drunk 20-something kids ahead of me waiting for their order at the window. As I'm watching them dance about like monkeys in the back seat, the SUV rocking back and forth noticably, another truck comes up behind me, and after about 3 minutes or so (the group ahead of me must have had a large order), 2 grown men get out of the truck behind me and start bouncing the back end of my car on its shocks. I did NOT recognize these people in my rear-view mirror. Strangers. Yet, SOMETHING compelled them to harass me. I could have been anyone. I could have been a cop, or Hulk Hogan, or an axe-murderer! But they harassed a complete stranger, nonetheless. I didn't even get my meal, I just drove the heck outta there when the drunk kids left. Madness.

I just cannot understand it.

Hearing that people in a "respectfull" neighborhood would steal from an old woman who had just been thrown out on the street... It appalls me but, sadly, it does not surprize me. There is evil afoot. Waiting. All it needs is a way out.

This is where things are going. I cannot explain it. All I can say is: if the law ever fails us, if the police/military/etc are suddenly blinded or disabled...people will become monsters. They will change faster than you can imagine, and those of us that remain sane through all the madness?

We will be few and far between.

~G

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   

It's encouraging to see that some people have Love, compassion, kindness, empathy, mercy, and humility alive and working in and through them.

This is what Christ is all about. "Be" as those Divine virtues compel you to be. It's not about religious rules, rites, rituals, practices, etc.

I am starring and flagging. I see the contrast between the workings of two distinct natures. Your actions were supernaturally inspired, their actions demonstrate the antithesis.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by useless eaters

I've been to DC....By far the filthist, sorriest, most worthless town in America.... DC is a mecca where scum assemble and every US congressman knows it.

And this disgusting post gets a star???????

I'm sorry if that's harsh, but those kind of sentiments do not... [deleted overly emotional outburst. Not worth it, since pointing out inananity is redundant...]

[edit on 3 October 2009 by weedwhacker]

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   
This is one of those times when I really wish I had a gun to blow out a few of their posh car tyres or blast one of their headlights. Yes I know its mean but it might have made them move quick smart back into their cars and disappear.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 07:35 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by IHIPrelude94

As someone who deal with a lot of elderly in tough situations, I can tell you most of them are confused, do not understand legal processes or government red tape.

That is why there are senior advocates,to help them through the process, but there are not nearly enough.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   
There will be a great cleansing coming to this land real soon. People like this will get what they deserve when the time comes. The good part about police budgets crashing is honest people will start standing up and taking matters in to their own hands. When this happens all the scum will be cleaned and society will fall back in to place.

posted on Oct, 4 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Ok, so the slumlord name is semi-fitting as I personally manage a corporately owned apartment community and I see this almost every month! People find out when evictions are occurring and will literally wait like it's the grand opening of Walmart. Having to be in the position of actually having to put people's belongings on the street I'm of two different mindsets. First, it takes a long time to get evicted in most states, so you know for at least 2 months that it's coming. You get warned not only by the landlord, but also by the court system who posts your door and mails you copies of all pending court dates. If you actually refuse to leave before your stuff is put out you are either in denial or actually have nowhere else to go and no one to turn to, which is heartbreaking.

With that said, I've been told many times that although it is technically illegal to take things from the street after an eviction, the police keep the attitude that once it's on the street it's trash ( or up for grabs as they like to say ). I can't tell you all how many times I've seen people going through piles of clothes and holding them up to themselves to see if they'll fit or not and loading up their brand new vehicles to haul away the stuff. It's disgusting and anyone who steals from someone who is obviously down on their luck should be shot. I can also tell you that it is the law (at least in Md) that the landlord must leave the belongings on the street for at least 24 hours, but after that it is ALL thrown in the dumpster. Needless to say that evictions are not the nicest part of my job.

[edit on 4-10-2009 by slumlord6374]

posted on Oct, 5 2009 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by jkm1864
There will be a great cleansing coming to this land real soon. People like this will get what they deserve when the time comes. The good part about police budgets crashing is honest people will start standing up and taking matters in to their own hands. When this happens all the scum will be cleaned and society will fall back in to place.

One can hope, my friend. I have my doubts, but I truly hope you're right.

~G

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Wow how disgusting. Those people should be ashamed. They are so selfish. I would have myself went up to them and told them to leave her stuff alone, and if they didn't leave I would have pulled a pistol out without doing any harm to get my point across so they would leave that poor woman alone. That is awful.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Don't think I have ever jumped back to a site upon an email !!

I just can't believe this kind of thing could happen to anyone, let-alone an elderly person (US or Canada).

So sorry for Her. I just had to say something as it made me so sad.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 06:56 AM
link   

I hadn't read this thread untill it came with the ats newletter today...

I'm just stunned over this one.
Can they just do that? Throw someones belongings on the street like that??

I'm glad things turned out a bit ok for the old lady, I hope she's well

And for the OP:
for you! If it wasn't for you, no one would have probably tried to help that lady.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by poedxsoldiervet

Star and Flad this needs to get out there... I see this # everyday in Cincinnati, Houses being forclosed and shock troops (police) coming in to take you out and it doesnt matter who there are... It truly time for a debtor revolt.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

My story and my way of fighting back

[edit on 1-10-2009 by poedxsoldiervet]

Ah so when you can no longer pay for the home you are making payment on you should be allowed to stay w/o paying? GTFO. Things happen. If you can't afford the home anymore you admit it to yourself and move out or you will be moved out. I see nothing at all wrong with this. I love how people seem to think it's wrong. If you owned a home you were renting out and the renters suddenly stopped paying you would you let them stay rent free? Hell no. People making payments to the bank on their homes do not really own the homes. The banks do and the people are renting to own. Ig they can't afford the rent it's time to move into an apartment you can afford or head to a shelter while you figure out where you went wrong and get back on your feet. This woman had optons but she was too prideful to utilize them.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by GypsK

I hadn't read this thread untill it came with the ats newletter today...

I'm just stunned over this one.
Can they just do that? Throw someones belongings on the street like that??

I'm glad things turned out a bit ok for the old lady, I hope she's well

And for the OP:
for you! If it wasn't for you, no one would have probably tried to help that lady.

Yes they can but there is a process to this. This woman most likely ignored all the notices until she was forcably evicted. As the OP said she was in denial. She was hoping for death before she had to deal with this. They don't just kick you out like that unless they went through all the legal steps. It can take weeks to a month to evict people depending on where you live. In most places law enforcement has to be the one to evict you. The property owner isn't allowed to do it themselves.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by jca2005
Wow how disgusting. Those people should be ashamed. They are so selfish. I would have myself went up to them and told them to leave her stuff alone, and if they didn't leave I would have pulled a pistol out without doing any harm to get my point across so they would leave that poor woman alone. That is awful.

Whom are you refering to? The scavangers or the owners of the home who had her put out?

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
I pulled over to see what was happening and I see what must have been a 60 to 70 year old lady crying her eyes out on the sidewalk.

Next to her were 20 to 30 people scavenging her life's belongings like freakin' vultures right in front on her. keep in mind that I live in a nice neighborhood, there were people with escalades and BMW's going through her stuff along with some local university students I guess.

This story is very sad... it's also quite unbelievable. if it were true, I'd be probably mad enough to fly to DC and do something about it. In fact if I were there I would have done something about it.. the "20-30 people" would have all had a hard time keeping the things they were stealing.

However... I stay my anger...I understand the need to embellish, to make a somewhat sad story more tragic so it can be heard and shared.

I REFUSE to believe this, it may indeed be true although I do doubt it, but I REFUSE to believe it.

Escalades and BMW's, Escalades and BMW's.

Escalades and BMW's that's the kicker right there, it gets you to stop and say "Whoa!, things really are that bad" (which they aren't) If the OP had said 15 black youths, no one would have batted an eye, if he had said it was a "bad neighborhood" again, no one would bat and eye.. but Escalades and BMW's gets your attention because if people with Escalades and BMW's are robbing poor old crying ladies on the street we'll then folks.. the sky is indeed falling.

The problem is.. that the sky ISN'T falling.

For the most part people who drive Escalades and BMW's are people who have gotten somewhere in life, usually they have worked long and hard for it and wouldn't for a second think to "rob" a crying old woman on the street and risk whatever it is that got them to the position to own an Escalades or BMW, and those who haven't worked long and hard for it certainly don't need the odds and end's of an old lady's "sneakers".

Think about it, logically. Saying some of them lost their jobs and have no money wouldn't give creedence to some immediate need to steal an old womans mostly worthless belongings..

Seriously, think about it.

(We're they "Nike Jordan's" BTW?)

Then we have an assortment of college kids who for the most part are young impressionable caring soles who are usually acquainted with their own grandmothers pretty well and wouldn't think to rob an old crying woman of her wool plaid skirts and Dutchman shoes.

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
So I called a friend of mine who's a police sergeant in the local precinct and waited till he came over to take her away from that nightmare and into a shelter

Where are the details of the vultures being arrested for stealing or accosting the old woman? Crimes are being committed, he just came by and took her to a shelter?

No offense to the OP but I really think that the theft aspect of this story is a fabrication or at the very least an exaggeration.

I have come across some amazing things in my life, but this one is just not believable.

I would venture to guess everything in the a story except the Escalades and BMW's and the count of "20-30" is true.

But without that, all we have is a story of an old woman who lost her home.. it's still sad, and our hearts go out to her, but no where near as dramatic, and not worth of very many ATS flags.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by D.E.M.
Truly a sign of the times. A sad, pathetic, but horrendously ominous sign of the times.

This really says it all,a star for you!
With so many people losing their jobs and benefits running out.We will
see more situations like this.People need to be less prideful and ask for
help when they need it.

I know a lot of you won't like what I'm going to say next...
My church,and several others,help people out as much as they can.We
have a food bank,we help people pay a bill or their rent.We don't give out cash,because people would use the money to buy drugs or booze.There
is help out there,you just need to find it.Good churches will help you out
in times of want.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join