It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something needs to be done

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by CUBD1
Instead of talking about the content of the Steve Qualye interview, this thread is hijacked and taken off course into a discussion about Alex Jones' credibility.

Enough! ENOUGH. I am so sick of hearing the SAME arguments (for or against) re: Alex Jones.

Maybe he's the Glenn Beck of the alternative media/conspiracy movement, I don't know.

Whatever the case, stop hijacking ANY thread referring to Alex Jones and discuss the TOPIC AT HAND.

Something we are all sick of hijacking on ATS.
There really needs to be a "vote down" button or something because threads become, as you say "hijacked" and basically kill the thread.
IMHO, thread hijacking lowers the overall quality and participation.

If it weren't for a handful of amazing users I would have left ages ago.

I know this is a repetitive topic from members but we really really really need some way to clean up threads.

Maybe have a "mute" button and after X clicks by members with X member points, the offending post gets hidden from view, if someone really wants to read the post they can click another "view muted posts" or something

Just offering some ideas to the never ending issue

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   
agreed

I read the thread in question, and the Person acknowledged they were wrong, but didn't change their post. changing a frickin post could set it back on track...............How about an "Edit: I had my head up my arse, and spoke out of turn"????????? but no deal.

It's not only on that thread, but others.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Agree with you. People have forgotten on ATS to stay on topic and most of the time they purposely do it to kill the thread. Intelligent debate is rare these days on ATS.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

A thread only gets derailed if you allow it to get derailed. By replying to the person you just give them more reasons to post and the thread ends up being derailed by the very people that support the thread by focusing their efforts on the person that disagrees with the OP. So basically it is just a trap and you keep falling into it.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I'm just curious, Warren, and not trying to be an ass. Did you hit the alert button and type 'off-topic' post in the u2u? Do you think this just isn't the same thing as an off-topic post? (again, I know you can't HEAR my tone, but it's supportive...) Have you ever had any luck getting something removed like that? What about a message to the user asking if they would edit the post?

The problem I see with a vote down is that when someone is pissed off at you, they're always going to vote down your posts...like most of the problems in the world, I can't help but hope that there would exist a diplomatic solution...one where the parties can reach a compromise or understanding without there having to be UN intervention.

Would the problem have been solved if the user that posted the first comment would have edited it? That seems like it would 'feel' better than the 'off topic post' banner slapped on the second post...but would require a little cooperation from the poster...

Is it just a lack of civility on our part? I'm afraid a vote down system would remove ANY motivation we might have to work out our disagreements amongst ourselves...it would just be easier to label the guy a jerk.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   
If you see someone posting OFF TOPIC, please hit the ALERT on that post or file a COMPLAINT. All staff will see and review.

Thank you

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   
At the bottom of Every post...

ALERT

We can't be all to every Nor can we be everywhere all the time.

Please use the available Member tools to ALERT staff to that which we may have otherwise missed, overlooked, or been unaware of.

Thank You!

-closed-

new topics

top topics

join