It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report: Pentagon’s burn weapon could end up in police hands

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Now here is a pretty cool little device that I believe could be useful. A hand held laser that burns people. I like it. As long as I'm not on the receiving end.

The Pentagon’s Joint Non-Lethal Weapons Directorate has been developing the Thermal Laser System since 2005, with the purpose of developing a weapon that could disperse crowds or incapacitate individuals by causing them to experience burning sensations in their skin. According to NewScientist magazine, the weapon has evolved into a rifle-mounted instrument, and there are plans for a hand-held model that could be used by police forces. News of the possibility that police departments could obtain the burn weapon will likely concern civil-liberties advocates, who have been watching with alarm as the Taser conducted-energy weapon has gone into regular use in police forces across the United States.

“I’d like to know why they want another advanced pain compliance weapon like this,” says Steve Wright, non-lethal weapons analyst at Leeds Metropolitan University in the UK. “Persuading by pain rather than brain – through conversation – has led to push-button torture in the past. If it leaves no mark on the skin how will anyone prove it’s been abused?”

I mean they are already using rubber bullets and sound systems to quiet the protestors. Why not a laser? Now if this thing could make someone burst into flames, now we're talking.

Edited to add link to external content.

[edit on 1-10-2009 by jackflap]

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Bypass any qualms one may have with free assembly and just burn people so they run away. I like it. In fact, it's genius.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I'm going to tell you folks something.

If the police start using their pain weapons against the people of the US, it's going to be open season on whoever is using the devices.

Not only that, but the DOD didn't come up with these pain devices.

These systems were developed by American individuals, working at home or out of a shop.

These things get turned on the American people, just wait and see what is turned on those who delighted in their "pain" weapons.

It won't just be a "harmless" dose. Someone will crank up the wattage, and fry some folks.

Once you let some genies out of the bottle, bigger genies take offence.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I guess we're going to need some really long handles on those pitchforks to get to them before they get to us.

I'd like to think they would have no cause to use this technology against peaceful protesters, but they would. The crowd control corps are as soulless as the ones who give them the orders.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by pluckynoonez

Non-Lethal Thermal Laser prototype only works on nudists

What a bummer. A little looking into this bad boy revealed that it will only work on nudists. I could have some fun at a nudist beach with this thing!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/33a599651cec.jpg[/atsimg]

www.gizmag.com...

[edit on 1-10-2009 by jackflap]

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   
That anti-nudist laser looks neat, where do I get one? I could encourage the fat guy next door to stop wandering around his back yard naked.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by jackflap

Actually, they have several variants of the weapon. While it is certainly most effective against bare skin, you do have a face and hands, right? Eyeballs?

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by '___'eviant

True, I hadn't thought of that one. Remember when the laser pointers came out? Everyone had one. I would find red dots on me at the oddest times. Just think if this thing gets down sized. Suddenly a wicked burning sensation on your earlobe. The implications are astounding.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Although I'm somewhat reassured that the weapon will not be approved for LEO use until they get it to work with a light spectrum that poses no risk to eyesight, I am deeply concerned because this weapon (non-lethal as it may be) leaves no marks or proof of use.

We already see how abused other less-lethal tools at the LEO disposal are overly abused, discharging Tasers dozens of times on a single victim. Tasers at least leave a distinguishing mark that gives a victim evidence to prove abuse. This burn weapon leaves no such distinguishing marks, leaving victims of abuse unable to verify their claims against LEOs.

That does not bode well.

Any tool, that does not provide accountability of use, can and will be abused in the hands of those that possess such tools.

If the LEOs can't use Tasers responsibly, then they have no right using these!

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   
ADS, or Active Denial System

Microwave...almost impossible to protect against...the wave finds any opening in your clothing, any exposed skin and burns. Oh, it doesn't do any 'permanent' damage.
Whatever.

www.globalsecurity.org...

defense-update.com...

As of January 2007, the system has entered extended user evaluation phase, and is currently deployed with the Air Force's 820th Security Forces Group (SFG) at Moody air force base in Georgia, USA. 820 is the first unit selected to conduct these tests. The system will be evaluated in assisting troops in securing base perimeters, checkpoints and entry control points during peacekeeping and humanitarian assistance, and crowd dispersal.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by exile1981

A well placed paint ball might work well in that regard. I don't know. That's the stuff of nightmares man!

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by dooper

Pretty much. There are plans for a light weapon out there now (ATS link here www.abovetopsecret.com... ), it's just a matter of time till someone builds a sonic weapon from off the shelf parts and publishes that information. So yeah, it will start an arms race between the enforcers, and the people.

Hopefully this article isn't on the level www.mondovista.com...

But, considering such a large system, it's emitting components can be damaged by gunfire.
[edit on 1-10-2009 by SpacePunk]

[edit on 1-10-2009 by SpacePunk]

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by KSPigpen

Human effects experts have determined there are no long-term health effects associated with ADS, and research involving more than 600 volunteers and 10,000 exposures has proven there is a less than a one tenth of 1 percent chance of even a very minor injury.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/511642b0941a.jpg[/atsimg]

I would love to aim that thing right at the guys family jewels who feels so confident that there will be no harm done. Let em cook for a while as he strains against the shackles that keep him in place. All the while telling him very calmly that there is less than a one tenth of one percent chance of minor injury, relax.

So if someone wants to protest they get cooked. Oh man, what a world we live in. They actually make it sound justified.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Over heating is very bad.
Always carry Gator Aid perhaps.
Some how we don't sweat just feel uncomfortable.
Must be a special wave length.
A classified magnetic patent was released as ineffective
no doubt.
A rotating bar magnet can either subdue or excite brain function.
Perhaps used in hostage situations.
The alert mode would be good on the dashboard for night time
rides home to stay alert.
I only heard of the subdue frequency.
But a ray at heat sensation frequency is somewhat restricted to
that enormous amount of equipment.
While a Tesar is quite small an a lot might be done with
similar circuitry.

top topics

join