It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Review of Capitalism: A Love Story

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Regardless of what you think of Moore, he's hit the nail on the head with his latest video. I don't to hear your views on Moore, it's a waste of ATS bandwidth and will fall on deaf ears.

I think the following review does an excellent job of reviewing Moores masterpiece:

People who decry his films as self-serving exposes of previously known facts that only preach to the converted miss the overriding achievement of what makes Michael Moore important. For all his lack of objectivity and occasional fact-twisting, Moore takes on dauntingly complex subjects -- the health care industry, gun control, political abuse of power -- and turns them into hugely entertaining, provocative pictures. You don't necessarily have to agree with Moore to enjoy his movies, although agreeing helps. I can't imagine that too many Goldman Sachs board members are going to be fawning over Capitalism: A Love Story, in which Moore depicts our country's affair with capitalism as a romance gone horribly sour.

In his usual mix of vintage film footage, TV news clips and fresh interviews, Moore argues that capitalism has devolved from being a system of giving and taking -- which in the 1950s allowed people such as his father, a middle-class auto-industry worker, to pay off his house by the time Moore had entered kindergarten -- into a system of mostly taking.

Capitalism: A Love Story illustrates its thesis by hopping from subject to subject, and some information may be new to viewers who don't keep up with their CNN: Airline pilots so poorly paid they have to rely on food stamps and part-time waitressing jobs to get by; a judge who accepted bribes from the privately run juvenile-rehabilitation facility to which he sent kids for posting gossip on their MySpace page; or a little-known policy known as ``dead peasants'' (which was news to me) in which blue-chip companies such as AT&T take out secret life insurance policies on their employees, naming themselves as sole beneficiary.

Moore also scores some indelible home-video footage, such as film a family shot as the cops started busting down their door in eviction proceedings. Moore's overall tone in Capitalism is more muted and less comical than in previous films (although several sequences in which he shows up at the offices of corporate giants, trying to interview their CEOs, are so tired even the security guards who ward him off look bored).

The movie is a call to arms, or at least to action, although Moore never specifies what that action should be. But this lively, infuriating and occasionally moving film certainly leaves you thinking, and there isn't a dead spot in it. That's the mark of a real filmmaker, not just a muckraker.

www.miamiherald.com...

Several acquaintances have been to screenings of this and have returned in an uproar, are now fully awake and want to do more and get more people to see it.

My hopes are that more people see this, wake up and get angry enough to be willing to understand that action must be taken to put the nation back on track.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Thank-You for your review.

I was wondering whether or not to go see it, and you have made up my mind.

As a matter of fact, I think I will bring my mother as well.

It's nice to read a review that is well thought out and not just "i love it" or " it's garbage".

Well done.

posted on Oct, 12 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   

He just makes straw man arguments and logical fallacies wrapped in a flawed moral blanket. That blanket is what makes him believable because he can successfully invoke an emotional response.
Also, he is a great filmmaker. With his use of juxtaposition and montage, he reminds me of a modern day Sergei Eisenstein.
I watch his films(torrent), I admit. Eisenstein's 'The Battleship Potemkin' is considered one of the best films of all time, and it was a Soviet propaganda film... but then again, I am an avid film watcher and lover of the mise en scène.
Michael Moore is flat out disingenuous, and outside of his propaganda films as being meaningless art, he doesn't deserve our attention at all.

This was my opinion of Moore and his films on one of the Moore bashing threads. I look at his films as art for the sake of art and ignore the preaching. I enjoy his films. One can call him this or that but he is the most successful documentary maker of all time and for a reason.

His controversial ideas and political motivations aside, he is one of the best documentary filmmaker ever and I commend him for it.

new topics

join