It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Two Russian Civilians Held Hostage in Iraq, Now Freed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Arabic network Al Jazeera Sunday aired photos and video of two men claimed to be Russian electrical workers being held hostage in Iraq. A previously unknown group, Jaish al-Tifa al-Mansoura - The Army of the Victorious Sect - included a statement identifying the men and claiming responsibility for their capture.
On Monday, the two men were freed after a local shiekh negotiated their release.

CNN.com

Andrei Meshcheryakov and Alexander Gordiyenko were both in good health, though one did suffer a gunshot to the arm. There is still no word as to who was behind the abductions.

It is reported that no ransom was paid and no demands met.

The men, working for Inter Energo Servis, were captured on May 10th in Musayyib. A third civilian was killed in the ambush. They appear to be in good health and show no signs of injury. Their names have not been released.

In the statement from Jaish al-Tifa al-Mansoura, they demand the withdrawl of all foreign troops from Iraq, calling it "the criminal project." "We have decided to punish America and its followers, and we'll destroy the crusaders' imperial dream."

Al Jazeera declined to say how they received the video and statement.

Related Stories
Al Jazeera

Related ATSNN/TA Stories:
American and Italian Civilians Reported Captured in Iraq
Japanese, British, Canadian, South Korean & Israeli Civilians Held Hostage in Iraq
Insurgents Threaten to Mutilate Hostage
Seven Chinese Added to Hostage Count in Iraq
11 Russians Kidnapped in Baghdad Area
Iraq Insurgents Kill One of Four Italian Hostages
US Soldier Confirmed Taken Hostage in IraqInsurgents Now Threaten to Shoot Japanese Hostages
Arab TV Airs Video Of US Hostage
Thomas Hamill Escapes Iraqis
Video Shows Beheading of American Civilian Nick Berg by Al Qaeda Group

[Edited on 17-5-2004 by Banshee]

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Banshee
......a statement identifying the men and claiming responsibility for their capture........

......"We have decided to punish America and its followers, and we'll destroy the crusaders' imperial dream."
[Edited on 16-5-2004 by Banshee]

First they talk like it was some major accomplishment to "capture" these people. Someone better explain to me what great feat it is to capture civilian workers.

Maybe these guys have spent too much time in the desert Russia was one of America's followers in this whole thing.

I'm begining to think there is no room for radical Islam in the world!

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I just saw this video on CNN and one question popped into my head....
Where are their orange jumpsuits?
The Russian hostages are in civilian clothes.

posted on May, 17 2004 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Reports on Fox News that they have been freed.

new topics

top topics

join