Those Stinking Homeless Should Go Get Jobs!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
reply to post by marg6043

I hate to break it to everyone but this is exactly what is happening:

Many of them congregate around the Mall, the White House, and federal buildings in the winter because the street has massive grates pumping out warm air out of federal buildings. It is soul crushingly sad.

I wasn't going to post but that is just pathetic, while the elite dine and drink fine wine?

How do they sleep at night?

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Nary a single port-a-potty in any of the OP pictures.

the landscape is full of late model dome tents, likely purchased at the local Wal-Mart.
i can't even afford one of those large plastic water bottles but somehow,
without transportation or a wagon or shopping cart, the tent cities have them all over the place.

getting a job.... is just one way of coping with survival,
the hardcore homeless have developed the skills of surviving without using the work-a-day model to survive, and developing & honing those skills is a full time 'job'

I'd call 90% of the temporarily homeless in the pictured camps...
transiet homeless, not hardcore, nor forever destute....
besides there's always a good Samaratin somewhere
it's in our culture....

? where's a good spell-check?

[edit on 1-10-2009 by St Udio]

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

I am a high school drop out. i was kicked out at 18 and have been living on my own since then. it's been a year and I'm doing fine. i have a reasonable apartment. i have acquired a GED and am starting college in the winter. I could have easily become another homeless statistic but i didn't. i lived with my friend for the summer of 08 while saving for my own place but since then i've been self reliant.

i was not embarrassed to ask for help. asking for help is the one thing never to be embarrassed about. i think its much more embarrassing to sit on a street corner asking me for spare change.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stop-loss!
If you think those pics above are bad, just look at the people of Iraq. They literally live in mud huts (most in the northern side) and throw rocks at us, now thats something they wont show on the news

[edit on 1-10-2009 by Stop-loss!]

Fiscal year 2003
Congress appropriated $79 billon in emergency supplemental funds for fiscal year 2003 for military
operations and Iraq’s reconstruction, including humanitarian relief, peacekeeping, and
economic and political reform.
The most immediate concern is Iraq’s physical reconstruction, including building roads, schools,
and power plants. Another immediate concern is Iraq’s external debt and its war
reparations resulting from the 1990 invasion of Kuwait—estimated to be as much as $400 billion.

USAID Office of U.S. Foreign Disaster
Assistance $49,200,000.
USAID Food for Peace 430,000,000.
USAID Office of Transition Initiatives 2,300,000.
USAID Asia and Near East Region 78,400,000.
Department of State Bureau of
Population, Refugees, and Migration 36,600,000.

www.gao.gov/new.items/d03792r.pdf

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by sisgood
(as a girl) it would be dangerous for me to take a stranger into my home.

Although I have taken complete strangers into my home before when my daughter was away at her mum's, I generally don't take complete strangers in if I can help it, for that same reason.

These are neighbors or friends of friends. People that I know long-term or who come with the highest recommendation of people I know long-term. Since they crashed with my other friends first, I know they come pre-screened and are safe. Having a pre-teen daughter, I wouldn't think of letting someone in who wasn't.

I think that those who still have jobs in America don't realize how tough it is to find a job in America right now. When I was laid off at my last job, I thought I would get a job within a few days. I wasn't expecting it to take 13 months! At first I was being picky and choosy, expecting a job that paid what I was accustomed to, that was in the same field as I had worked in the past 25 years. When it became apparent that there just weren't any jobs available in that field for what I was accustomed I lowered my expectations willing to work ANYWHERE, doing ANYTHING, just as long as it paid SOMETHING. Still, it was a no go for more than half a year, looking everywhere between Seattle and San Jose. McDs, Walmart, Star*ucks, etc wouldn't hire someone with a College Education and 25+ years of Senior Technical Expertise in Information Services knowing I made more in a month than I would make in a year at those places. I couldn't beg my way into a job no matter how hard I tried, no matter how many Certifications I had, no matter how many glowing Recommendations I had, no matter how expensive of an Armani Suit I had.

It doesn't matter in today's job market how hire-able you once were, or think you are. If you are unemployed, you are going to have to fight another 1000 people for that Minimum Wage Slavery job flipping burgers. Chances are, unless you have only worked for Minimum Wage before, you won't be that lucky single applicant, and you'll have to join the other 998 people are going to have to go back home to their bridges and tents.

And for those of you who may have forgotten the days of Minimum Wage, it is not a Sustainable Wage. 30 Hours @ $7.25/hr (because anywhere paying Minimum Wage won't work you more than 30 hours lest they have to pay you benefits!) doesn't come up to enough to pay a Mortgage, or even Rent, let alone feed and clothe your family.

So, for those who are getting High and Mighty about the Jobless, you might want to step out of your BMW and come down from your Ivory Tower for a while...because when your Pink Slip comes, you're going to get a rude Reality Check if you haven't checked out how bad things really are for everyone else in America.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Doc Tesla

I think homeless people are just lazy or stupid. in either case it is their own fault. No one forced them to become homeless. They chose it.

My friend fell upon some hard times and is currently living with friends or occasionally with me. So if your homeless what kind of piece of dirt must you have been that not even friends or family are willing to take care of you?

Like jd said. if they want jobs they can get them

Oh, how easy it is to be so judgemental while one is so happily selling one’s soul to a system that imprisons one and you don’t even have the wit to see it.
Oh, how easy it is to be so judgemental when you are young and stupid and have no life experience or empathy.
Oh, how easy it is to be so smug, so self satisfied, so ridiculously stupid and insular.

And most importantly..
Oh, how easy it is to just get sick, have the work dry up, have the credit cards after you, or the loan company and the mortgage company…and then to lose your home.
Oh how easy it is to turn from that respected and respectable person that was looked up to…and in an instant be transformed in the eyes of others into a piece of dirt, who is lazy and stupid, who has no pride…and lmao…who chose their circumstances.

You must be particularly young, stupid and as thick as two short planks to come out with that garbage. That is as bad as the smug and self satisfied saying that you only have to think of something and you get it.
And I don’t wish this on anyone…BUT…that sort of hateful smugness comes before a fall…and when you fall and cannot get any job because they do not exist….then you may understand…in between the weeping.
All it takes is a couple of bad life events and you are on your arse….and don’t tell me it won’t happen to you because you will just get any job….maybe you will be too unwell to get a job…so then what will you do?
So grow up if you are able.
People with views like yours make me sick.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chovy
reply to post by KSPigpen

Incase you haven't noticed we are in a bit of a ressesion here.
You know that right?

Uh, really? I didn't see that while I was watching the old Congress guy on Dancing with the Stars. When did this happen? Dagnabbit. Well, I guess everyone is just going to have to tighten their belts and get some more jobs. Filthy hobos.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Tent cities certainly aren't new. Yeah, some of the 'homeless' people have better tents than I do and I work for a living.
(did that just come out?)

There was another time in America's history where tent cities were necessary. This famous photograph?

The woman had just SOLD her family's tent so that she could buy food.

No, homelessness is by no means a new thing, nor is it limited to the United States.

Here's a story from Japan. Not new, but not too old.

www.asianews.it...

Perhaps, given the 'late-model' nature of some of the tents shown, there are several different 'classes' of homeless.

"oh those Johnson...you, know them there nouveau homeless have no idea what it REALLY means to be homeless."

I suppose if one has a tent, then that probably puts him in the upper crust of homelessness.

It's easy to blame the government, federal or state, or charities, or the homeless themselves. It's a lot easier to do that than admit that I've been the problem all along. I failed these people.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by oneclickaway

thats a load of bull. its very easy to act high an mighty and pretend you care for the homeless. you don't. because they are not people who are in need of our help. i understand there are unfortunate circumstances that lead to homelessness but people who want to work will find work no matter what it is. even if your selling oranges on the highway its still work.

so don't give me this "I'm too young to understand #" I've seen it firsthand. i understand the homeless and their problems. i just think that they themselves hold the solutions to their problems and are just unwilling to fix them.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   

thats a load of bull. its very easy to act high an mighty and pretend you care for the homeless. you don't. because they are not people who are in need of our help. i understand there are unfortunate circumstances that lead to homelessness but people who want to work will find work no matter what it is. even if your selling oranges on the highway its still work.

It is you that does not understand a damn thing. It is not drug addicts, alcoholics or the lazy that are becoming homeless. It is the homeowners who perhaps lost a job and could not pay the mortgage, or who became sick, or who had a divorce happen. How dare you show such utter contempt to these people who possibly worked very 'responsibly' all their lives until disaster and bad luck struck. Get it into your uneducated mind that this is not their fault. And if you suggest getting a job on minimum wage...how on earth does that allow you to get a place to live, food, clothes etc....and ever get back on your feet again...once you have lost everything.
Selling oranges on the highway....dear God. give me strength.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   

thats exactly the kind of thinking these homeless people have. the ones who had a tragedy strike i mean. they don't want to work minimum wage because they are sued to better. but you know what that's how you start. start by selling oranges to buy a pre-paid cell phone. use the cell phone to get better jobs. its a cycle and it will work. whether it take months or years it works.

these people are homeless by choice. the people who don't want to be homeless take steps to fix their situation. not make money off it.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by liquidsmoke206
reply to post by 12.21.12

I don't think our politicians have magic wand that they can wave to make all those people have homes. So parking them in washington dc wouldn't really make a lot of sense, or any kind of statement at all.

This is a result of many many problems, and I think that politicians in washington dont have as much control over it as most people would think. I'm all for making statements, but...that doesn't really make a logical one in my opinion.

No, they don't have a magic wand. But they do have the ABILITY and POWER to STOP all of the homes being ripped out from under these people's feet while they struggle through one of the worse economic depressions in our short history. Considering that much of their actions actually led to the circumstances we find ourselves in now.

So, though I understand and respect your right to believe what you believe, you seem to have a very caustic view towards the homeless. You know, my mother was homeless when I was 7 and my sister was 4. Yes, that means that we were homeless too. She would leave us in a park every day to try and shelter us from the situation. Sleep under cardboard at night. I actually witnessed her begging for money.

No, she didn't spend it on drugs. Many of the other homeless we associated with didn't spend it on drugs. Some do. Maybe more where you live. But they are still human beings. You DO NOT know their story. Maybe if you grew a heart and sat down with one of them and listened to that story you would get a clue and possibly some compassion.

Just because a person is lost doesn't make them less of a person my friend. You obviously have a lot of growing up to do. Especially if that is an image of you in your avatar.

Again with that. Gun ownership is another right I feel should be defended. But arrogant displays of trying to be a 'bad a$$' just makes you look like a young thug. Again, if that is you.

So, that avatar with your two statements in the beginning of this thread state a LOT about you as a person.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   

your photo is from 1936..

.Portrait shows Florence Thompson with several of her children in a photograph known as "Migrant Mother". The Library of Congress caption reads: "Destitute pea pickers in California. Mother of seven children. Age thirty-two. Nipomo, California." In the 1930s, the FSA employed several photographers to document the effects of the Great Depression on the population of America. Many of the photographs can also be seen as propaganda images to support the U.S. government's policy distributing support to the worst affected, poorer areas of the country.

there are five other photos taken at the time 5 known photos
Florence died of "cancer and heart problems" at Scotts Valley, California on September 16, 1983.She was buried next to her husband George, in Lakewood Memorial Park, in Hughson, California, and her gravestone reads: "FLORENCE LEONA THOMPSON Migrant Mother – A Legend of the Strength of American Motherhood."

You picked one the most famous photo's of the great depression

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   

people in tent cities are one thing, but I live in a city with more homeless people than any city I have ever seen, anywhere in the world. Believe me these people are scumbags, they actually get upset if you don't give them ENOUGH money! And there's so many of them, they like being homeless, and they are definitely on drugs!

I don't give money to them, or if I do I make them humiliate themselves for a quarter.
This town needs to get get these losers out....maybe a tent city for them at the bottom of elliot bay....

I know none of you scum will ever read this, but just get a job you hopeless scumbag losers....

Do you have any empathy towards humanity?

From looks of it I guess you don't because you probably think highly of yourself and look down on people who don't have it easy in life.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Tesla

these people are homeless by choice. the people who don't want to be homeless take steps to fix their situation. not make money off it.

"SOME" of these people are homeless by choice. I ask you, have you ever been homeless? Have you ever taken the time to have a REAL conversation with a homeless person? I have. On both accounts. Not ALL of these people can take those steps. Many of those that can't have serious mental disorders and physical disabilities and simply no family to care for them anymore. Or ones that don't WANT to care for them.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Yeah? And what if they are 40 or 50 or 60 when disaster strikes and unwell to boot....so what do they do then Einstein? Yeah sleeping in the open, getting sick, no way to clean any clothes they can carry around. Great way to get a job.
In fact don't speak to me until you are around 30...as you know nothing of life....just your own life.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Tesla
reply to post by detachedindividual

I am a high school drop out. i was kicked out at 18 and have been living on my own since then. it's been a year and I'm doing fine. i have a reasonable apartment. i have acquired a GED and am starting college in the winter. I could have easily become another homeless statistic but i didn't. i lived with my friend for the summer of 08 while saving for my own place but since then i've been self reliant.

i was not embarrassed to ask for help. asking for help is the one thing never to be embarrassed about. i think its much more embarrassing to sit on a street corner asking me for spare change.

Yeah, and from this statement and the fact that you post fairly intelligent replies on this site, I would have to make the leap of faith that you have all of your mental faculties available to you. That you haven't been in a bloody war where you were exposed to little things like agent orange and endless nights of wondering if you would be murdered in your sleep? Or mental disorders and no family able to or willing to look after you? Or much more. You see, these are the STORIES that I heard and lived. I met HUNDREDS of people with similar stories that couldn't provide for themselves if, well, their shelter stability depended on it. And who helps them? Well, there are some soup kitchens. Homeless shelters that fill up FAST. And on and on. Your age shows through very clearly in your ignorance of the very real circumstance that many homeless find themselves in.

In other words, you have no ** clue what you are really talking about. You are an able bodied young person that had friends and such to lean on.

Edit to calm down and remove a phrase that represents a word not allowed on this site.
Sorry, but this subject hits close to home. And it really gets my emotions going when people are so blind with their inexperience in life making judgments on those that they do not know.

[edit on 1-10-2009 by dariousg]

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   

people in tent cities are one thing, but I live in a city with more homeless people than any city I have ever seen, anywhere in the world. Believe me these people are scumbags, they actually get upset if you don't give them ENOUGH money! And there's so many of them, they like being homeless, and they are definitely on drugs!

I don't give money to them, or if I do I make them humiliate themselves for a quarter.
This town needs to get get these losers out....maybe a tent city for them at the bottom of elliot bay....

I know none of you scum will ever read this, but just get a job you hopeless scumbag losers....

In one sense I have to agree with the above post as anyone from a very large city will know what the above poster says is true no matter what the economic situation (my experience was in San Antonio).

You could offer them meals to eat and they refused only wanted cold hard cash with a few exceptions whom were really homeless. A good majority are not homeless but make so much money begging they do it as a profession. Of course some just want the cash for drugs also.

However the original intended idea of this post is not of those whom have made a profession out of it but the ones who can no longer find a job because there are none.

Where I work at we would normally get about 20 applications a week and would interview people every week because there were always spots open for the past 8 years.

2 months ago we had 26 available spots to fill we had 400 applications in one week. Most applications we had on record in one week and the facility has been around for over 120 years.

More applications than during the depression which is concerning. I have friends calling me up asking me to text them the second someone quits so they can walk in and ask for the spot. First time sense the depression we had every spot filled and no one leaving. We employ about 700 people.

Last time I checked the paper for employment ads there was 2. That is just insane.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Reminds me of "They live"

it's not coincidence that, the film was set amidst a recession and it was released in 1988 and in 2008 there is a recession 20 years later..nah i don't buy it.

Lots of that here in the UK aswell, not tent towns/cities but lots more homeless my family is on the verge of that ourselves.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I know there must be nice homeless people out there but I've run into a few real bad ones. I had a guy stop me one time and point out his wife and kids living in the back of a station wagon. He asked for money for gas so they could drive onwards to Calgary. I offered him a day job at the manufacturing plant I ran sweeping floors for $14/hr cash and I offered to buy lunch for him and the family, and he told me to go f myself because he was a programmer not a janitor. I walked away, felt bad for the kids but I figured they weren't truly suffering if he was willing to turn down an honest days work.

Then I once was hit up by a very scruffy man outside a grocery store who asked for money for food. I went inside and bought him a cofee (it was cold) and a hot sub and gave it to him. He trew them on the ground and spit on me saying he wanted the money not the sub.

Now when I go to the grocery store I watch the homeless begging for money and then I watch them walk across the street to the liquir store to by booze when the have enough.

new topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join