It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tx HIN1 Patient dies from swelling of the brain

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I posted this in another thread but after doing a little reading about it, it seemed significant enough to put it in a thread of its own to get others input.
Has anyone heard of any other cases of swine flu causing this type of problem?

A 12 year old girl, in otherwise good health, died of H1N1 yesterday in a city just south of where i live, (Corpus Christi Tx)
Her death was caused by swelling of the brain due to the H1N1 virus.
There is a story in the paper about it at the callertimes.
Callertimes

CORPUS CHRISTI — A 12-year-old Flour Bluff student died of swine flu Tuesday after her brain swelled because of the virus, Corpus Christi-Nueces County Public Health District officials reported. The girl, whose name isn’t being released by authorities, is the first child to die of swine flu in Nueces County. Her death is the fifth in the county related to the H1N1 virus. The Flour Bluff Intermediate School she attended and others in the district were being thoroughly cleaned Tuesday and will remain open, officials said. The sixth-grader was admitted Saturday to Driscoll Children’s Hospital. She played soccer Thursday and didn’t feel well that night, Nueces County health authority Dr. William Burgin said. The girl stayed home from school Friday and was in the hospital’s intensive care unit during the weekend, he said. At the hospital Saturday, doctors performed a brain scan on the girl and results were normal, he said. But within hours, the girl developed brain swelling and was placed on a ventilator. Hospital doctors pronounced her brain-dead Monday and she died Tuesday, Burgin said.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   
This sound like bird flu, as bird flu is linked to swelling of the brain from people that gets infected.

I hope they did the test for swine flu and bird flu.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   
BTW the link has been removed.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Here's a link about the girl, including her name and pic.

www.caller.com...

Here's another:

www.caller.com...

Interesting comments further down there.

[edit on 1-10-2009 by SoLittleTimeToRead]

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   
That is very sad I pray deeply for her family.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by SoLittleTimeToRead

Thanks for that link, I dont know what happened to the link directly to the caller times site, it appears to be down but I can access the link that you provided, i guess is an intermittent problem.
Its weird that they left out the part about her brain swelling in the link you provided, while it was just there yesterday.

Heres a link to the Houston Chronicle that mentions it.

HC

and KIII tv news in Corpus
KIII

[edit on 10/1/2009 by Kr0n0s]

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I did a research and found out that seasonal flu also causes seizures and brain swelling, but with the hype of swine flu infecting more the children they are giving emphasis to any deaths from swine flu among children.

Swine flu could cause neurological problems, experts warn

All four children fully recovered without complications after being treated at a Dallas hospital, according to a report released Thursday by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
The announcement did not surprise doctors accustomed to seeing complications in the brain caused by the seasonal flu viruses that circulate every year.
"It's completely to be expected given that so far this novel H1N1 flu is behaving like the seasonal flu that we are familiar with," said Dr. Anne Mascona, a professor of pediatrics and microbiology at the Weill Cornell Medical Center.
Because flu-related brain complications are more common in children than in adults, and swine flu seems to infect children more often than adults, experts expect to see more cases of children who develop swine-flu-related neurological complications as the pandemic continues.

www.azstarnet.com...

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I have not heard of that particular cause of death but it is interesting and could use some research.

Fort Worth had their first swine flu death this week in a 14 year old girl. She was denied Tamiflu because she was healthy and had no underlying problems.

link Story and pic

She got sick Wed., went to the Dr. Friday, early Sunday morning went to the hospital and died that evening. She arrested before she could be intubated.

The last part was from another article.

Swine flu was confirmed yesterday.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by liveandlearn

That is the problem, tamiflu also cause swelling of the brain in children when treated with either that or Oseltamivir.

www.drugs.com...

Both Tamiflu and Oseltamivir have the same side effects.

You should not use this medication if you are allergic to oseltamivir.

Before taking oseltamivir, tell your doctor if you have used a nasal flu vaccine (FluMist) within the past 2 weeks, or if you have:

kidney disease;

heart disease;

lung disease;

a condition causing swelling or disorder of the brain; or

any other serious disease or health problem.

Can Tamiflu cause psychiatric side effects?

health.howstuffworks.com...

So I wonder how many of the children that will be dying from swine flu and are to be considered health have underlying brain problems or their deaths are from side effects of Tamiflu and it's partner.

Still Children that have seasonal flu also have chances of brain swelling and death.

My hart goes to parents that have to make very difficult decisions this flu season

[edit on 1-10-2009 by marg6043]

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Well, that is interesting. I tried to find if she had taken it but only found that she too was healthy with no underlying conditions.

Unless her family had a stash, I doubt it was given to her.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   

I don't think we may find out, my sister works in the health care system in Puertorrico in one of the major hospitals has bee working for over 15 years, she said that the doctors has been giving tamiflu to anybody with symptoms of flu regarless of swine flu or not like candy.

We don't have seasonal flu in PR as we are a tropical Island but swine flu is wide spread.

So I don't think the big pharma will tell us either.

Also I found out that aspirin also can cause brain swelling in children so that is also a factor.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Also I found out that aspirin also can cause brain swelling in children so that is also a factor.

Yea that is true and its usually a result of Reyes Syndrome, which can be caused by taking aspirin, pepto bismol as well as a result of having the flu and the chicken pox.
If i were these parents, I would request an autopsy. It would be sad to find out if they gave her pepto for an upset stomach or aspirin for a headache and that was the cause of her dying, despite the warning labels on said drugs.
But there are to many variables involved to know for sure.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Kr0n0s

That is interesting, I remember that Dr. Gupta from fox news was telling his experience with swine flu, he got it while in Afghanistan while during covering a story.

He said that even he been a doctor didn't took the symptoms seriously, he said that the stomach problems he attribute them to the food, the fever to the heat and it wasn't until he almost fainted that he realized it was more than the weather and the food.

So If a doctor get fulled into attributing symptoms to something else I guess a healthy child that can not really express what she is feeling without linking the symptoms to something else could made the parents feel that is nothing but some common illness and treat them accordingly.

I guess with all the scare about the swine flu parents will have to be very careful about their children falling sick.

Also I doubt that the parents will be asking for full autopsy report with the sadness and pain they most be feeling.

Sad.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Remember that any virus or bacteria can get into the spinal fluid and or brain (the sinuses are a culprit) and cause encephalopathy (Brain swelling) or menigitis. Inital CT scans will seldom show anything amis. 24 hours later and its lights out.

The worst used to be Mennigiococemia Mennigitis ut we dont see that one anymore. Know why? They developed a vaccine

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Here is a map showing the percentage of H1N1 vs Seasonal throughout the world as of Sept 20.

It has been interesting to see so much flu months before the actual season hits. I am wondering if the regular flu season will see another spike.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4d8c4259d676.gif[/atsimg]

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Also I doubt that the parents will be asking for full autopsy report with the sadness and pain they most be feeling.

I agree, what they do to a person during an autopsy makes me cringe.
My Dad died a few weeks ago and the second hardest thing for me to accept was knowing that they performed an autopsy on him.

[edit on 10/1/2009 by Kr0n0s]

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   

I believe that as soon as the weather starts to get colder in the northern regions as is happening now we may see the spark on the seasonal flu, I wonder if you can get both seasonal and swine flu at the same time.

But taking into consideration that already millions in the US had the swine flu I guess the wine flu will start to die out while the seasonal flu will spike up.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Kr0n0s

I am sorry for your lost.

That is most hardest decision to make, but I believe if you die of natural causes is not need for autopsy, I am not sure, with the way things are now is not up to us anymore to decided what is best for our departed love ones.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   

I wonder why Africa and far Northern Russia has had so little swine flu infections, compared to the rest of the world?

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Yes, you can definitely have two kinds of flu at once. That has long been a concern with the Avian flu...that it would mix with the seasonal flu, exchange DNA, and then be able to transfer more readily between humans.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join