It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Series of earthquakes rattle Central California

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 10:06 AM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com...

LONE PINE, Calif. – A series of earthquakes — the largest a magnitude-5.1 — have rattled the Lone Pine area of the eastern Sierra in Central California.

The largest struck about 18 miles southeast of the town of Lone Pine along the east shore of the Owens River at 3:01 a.m.

It was followed within three hours by about a half-dozen smaller quakes between magnitude-3.0 and magnitude-3.5 in the same rural area near Sequoia National Park, about 180 miles northeast of Los Angeles.

Inyo County sheriff's dispatcher Faith Felton says she felt a slight tremor during the strongest quake. No damages or injuries have been reported.

U.S. Geological Survey geophysicist Randy Baldwin says a couple of quakes with magnitudes of about 5.4 have occurred in the area in recent years.

[edit on 1-10-2009 by liveandletlive]

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   
good catch

largest was a 5.1 -- i wonder if there will be more or if shes all done

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Seems like there is a lot of activity going on now. Wonder if its a lead up to a more earthquakes or if we have seen the worst of it already.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   
oh once in a blue moon...

12/31/2009

the moon turned red

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   
exactly

5.1 is medium sized in my experience, i was in a 6.9 in '89 and that was wild. someone on here made the prediction this morning that we'd see a quake between 90th parallels (both) looking for the thread now

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by jvm222

dont tell me.....

does that date refer to an astrological event or something a little more, ummm, grand?

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   
www.kirotv.com...

Small Earthquake Near Shelton Reported
Posted: 7:08 am PDT October 1, 2009

SHELTON, Wash. -- The Pacific Northwest Seismic Network said a minor earthquake with a magnitude of 3.4 was reported Wednesday night about six miles west-southwest of Shelton, Wash.

The quake was recorded at 8:10 p.m. at a depth of 27 miles.

The Seismic Network is based at the University of Washington.

UW seismology lab coordinator Bill Steele said Western Washington experiences frequent quakes of about magnitude 3.0 -- about 10 a year.

A woman who called KIRO 7 said her family and neighbors felt their homes shake.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 10:30 AM
link   
www.officialwire.com...

Second Earthquake Hits Samoan Islands
Published on October 01, 2009

by OfficialWire NewsDesk

(UPI and OfficialWire)

PAGO PAGO, AMERICAN SAMOA

Another earthquake struck near the Samoan islands, already ravaged by an earthquake and tsunami waves earlier this week.

The U.S. Geological Survey said the 5.5-magnitude earthquake rumbled Wednesday about 10 miles deep in the Pacific Ocean and about 121 miles from Apia, Samoa, CNN reported Thursday

The quake did not trigger a tsunami warning from the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center.

This comes after an 8-magnitude earthquake struck the cluster of Samoan islands Tuesday, triggering a tsunami and leaving more than 100 people dead. Officials said they feared the death toll would rise as crews start to reach outlying areas.

A huge emergency effort was under way Wednesday. U.S. President Barack Obama declared a major disaster for American Samoa to speed the deployment of resources and federal officials. The U.S. Coast Guard also is working to provide help.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   
the prediction i refered to is this thread

www.abovetopsecret.com...

it says a quake bigger than 7.0 will hit sometime soon.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   
www.inquisitr.com...

5.9 Earthquake Reported near Peru, Bolivia border

It’s been a busy week for earthquakes, with both the Somoan earthquake (and subsequent tsunami) and the Indonesian earthquake claiming countless lives, and now Peru and Bolivia can join the list.

According to the USGS, an 5.9 earthquake was recorded at Puerto Acosta, near the shore of Lake Titicaca near the Peru/ Bolvia border at 3:30pm local time Wednesday.

The quake, which was 95 km (60 miles) E of Juliaca, Peru and 160 km (100 miles) NW of La Paz, Bolivia occurred at a depth of 250.2 km (155.5 miles) and is believed to have not felt in the surrounding areas. There are no reports of damage or injuries at this time.

Frank James at NPR asks the question I have as well: “Three major quakes occurring in a 24-hour period is making many people ask if there’s any connection between the events. We’re trying to get a good scientific answer to that.”

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   
In 1872 a Richter magnitude of 7.6 to 8 or greater hit in the same area of Lone Pine calif.

So that area can have a major earthquake.
en.wikipedia.org...

I live only 50 miles away. Ridgecrest Calif but did not feel this one.

[edit on 1-10-2009 by ANNED]

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by liveandletlive

i live in stockton 75 miles east of san francisco, and i didn't feel a thing, of course we get used to movement here. unless it's a 5.1, centered real close to stockton, i don't hardly notice it.

[edit on 1-10-2009 by jimmyx]

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Is HAARP targeting American Samoa and California. There have been so many earthquakes in California that the major instabilities are probably fewer. Otherwise HAARP would have more of an effect. I hope people are looking for sun dogs. We had a ripple pattern in the clouds during a week long heat wave last July. It had to be HAARP.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   
The big one is coming to California in about 10-12 days from now. San Francisco maybe.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by m khan

haarp had nothing to do with it.

california has hundreds of eq's a year.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Seems to be a lot of news reports regarding earhquakes along the ring of fire the last couple of days. Maybe its normal activity. Washington, california, Peru, Bolivia border, Somoa Islands ect...

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I think people need to be cautious when suggesting that activity is increasing. It could just as well simply be that eyes and ears are listening, it's scary headlines, so it's all being discussed more.

It's like that "mad dog" scenario, one dog attacks a child, then suddenly every paper is reporting other attacks, before you know it it looks like dogs have all gone bonkers. They haven't of course, it's just that reporters are looking for the story, and there's plenty to report.

A good place to see all of this is here...
Real Time Disaster and Emergency Monitoring

Working on the reports of several EQ's since the major one in A.Samoa I tried to check their data there for raw numbers. Alas, you can search every other form of even from Chemical Spill to Volcanic Activity, but no searchable historical data on EQ's.
Call me suspicious, but I am curious as to why they don't offer a searchable database of EQ history year on year.

It could be that there is simply too much data.
But it could also be that there is an exponential increase in the last few years, and 'they' don't want people to have easy access to that evidence. (Hey, this is a conspiracy site, mkay?
)

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   
earthquake.usgs.gov...

Magnitude 6.6 - SOUTHERN SUMATRA, INDONESIA
2009 October 01 01:52:29 UTC
Versión en Español

DetailsSummaryMapsScientific & TechnicalAdditional Info
Earthquake Details
Magnitude 6.6
Date-Time Thursday, October 01, 2009 at 01:52:29 UTC
Thursday, October 01, 2009 at 08:52:29 AM at epicenter
Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 2.497°S, 101.540°E
Depth 15 km (9.3 miles) set by location program
Region SOUTHERN SUMATRA, INDONESIA
Distances 160 km (100 miles) NNW of Bengkulu, Sumatra, Indonesia
215 km (135 miles) SE of Padang, Sumatra, Indonesia
490 km (305 miles) SSW of SINGAPORE
705 km (435 miles) NW of JAKARTA, Java, Indonesia

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 7.7 km (4.8 miles); depth fixed by location program
Parameters NST=211, Nph=211, Dmin=784.6 km, Rmss=1.45 sec, Gp= 32°,
M-type=teleseismic moment magnitude (Mw), Version=9
Source USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)

Event ID us2009mfaf

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual
It could just as well simply be that eyes and ears are listening, it's scary headlines, so it's all being discussed more.

But it could also be that there is an exponential increase in the last few years, and 'they' don't want people to have easy access to that evidence. (Hey, this is a conspiracy site, mkay?
)

You may be right, but then again you might be right!

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Im sure Phage can throw up a graph that would clearly demonstrate that all is well in the world and your just a detached individual!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join