It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate Approves Stopgap to Keep Federal Government Running

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Senate Approves Stopgap to Keep Federal Government Running

www.foxnews.com

The measure, approved by a 62-38 vote that sends it to President Obama's desk, would keep the government open for one more month. Obama is virtually certain to sign it before day's end.

Up against a midnight deadline to avoid a government shutdown, the Senate passed legislation Wednesday that temporarily would extend spending on most federal programs at current levels while raising Congress' budget by 6 percent.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Woah, wait a damn minute here, what the Hell happened to this "Bailout Package" that was supposed to assist the economy, that was supposed to do all kind of things to keep us afloat, and to "stimulate" the economy?

How much was the "Bailout" again?

The Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008, or "Bailout" already spent $700 billion, and now they want another $4.7 Billion dollars as a "stop-gap"?

I just love the use of the $4.7 Billion, a pretty way of saying $4 Billion, $700 Million dollars so you will think it is less money than it really is to begin with.

And ACORN wants in on the action, these people must be nuts, pun intended, to get federal reimbursement.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 1-10-2009 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   
They are doing this because the government or congress are adamant to raise the debt ceiling, because with the recession and claims that we are "re bouncing" will send mixed signals to our debt holders.

So I guess the government will be doing this for months until they have no other choice but raise the debt ceiling.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   
BTW I did a thread just about the bailout scam and where the money go.

Yes the government is planning another bailout to clean more toxic assets from the banks with a mix of tax payer and private investments.

Also more money to hit first time mortgage buyers.

Troubled Assets Relief Program (TARP) was a flop or more likely a scam, more bailouts to follow.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

link   

Originally posted by marg6043
They are doing this because the government or congress are adamant to raise the debt ceiling, because with the recession and claims that we are "re bouncing" will send mixed signals to our debt holders.

So I guess the government will be doing this for months until they have no other choice but raise the debt ceiling.

Raise the "debt ceiling"?

I sure as Hell thought the ceiling on our contries debts was high enough to begin with. Our country owes so much money to other countries it is not even funny. All I can see is them spending more and more of our money, almost as if they are emptying the coffers of the tax money as fast as possible so they can get ready to fill them with more through war.

link   

"This is the worst display that I have ever seen in my years of service in the Congress," said Sen. Tom Coburn, R-Okla. "We have the audacity to take care of us before we take care of the rest of America."

Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., took aim at $500,000 included to notify constituents about town hall meetings, even though people packed such events in August.

"Has anybody had any trouble lately having people come to their town hall meetings," McCain said. "We need to spend $500,000 additional to notify people?"

Congress was rewarding itself with a 6 percent budget boost, though the $51 million increase for the House office budget account represents an 8 percent increase. There's also a big jump in spending to repair House office buildings, including a $50 million to refurbish the oldest one.

The Senate gave itself a 6 percent boost for its office accounts.

The Postal Service could delay $4 billion in payments due next month to a health care fund for retirees. Some $5.4 billion is supposed to be paid, but officials say they don't have enough money to make the payment.

Usual crap, huh? Of course, if THEY don't get funded, how can we ever hope to have more awesome legislation passed to protect our rights and manage our country?

I need to get out more. I hadn't heard anything about this....and the Post Office going T.U.? Kinda figures how they are approaching that one too...screw the retirees...yeah, those guys only worked there their whole lives...

They ought to just go ahead and go under...

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 09:29 AM
link   

BTW I did a thread just about the bailout scam and where the money go.

Yes the government is planning another bailout to clean more toxic assets from the banks with a mix of tax payer and private investments.

Also more money to hit first time mortgage buyers.

Troubled Assets Relief Program (TARP) was a flop or more likely a scam, more bailouts to follow.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Glad you provided that link here.

I am sorry but these silly things like T.A.R.P. is just really a trap.

The Creature from Jekyll Island : A Second Look at the Federal Reserve

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by SpartanKingLeonidas

Here is the article, see news like this one are not very well taken by the media and people more often than not are lost in the propaganda and never get to see the bigger picture.

Many are just no interested in the news of our economy or just don't understand it.

U.S. to Hit Debt Ceiling- Again

Sometime after the battle over health care reform is over, for the 90th time in the past 69 years lawmakers are set to engage in another contentious debate, this one with a foregone conclusion.

This fall, lawmakers will once again increase the national debt ceiling. The debate will be highly partisan, but the outcome will assuredly be that the U.S will raise its credit limit by about $1 trillion.

At $12.1 trillion, the national debt ceiling was just $349 billion away from being topped after unprecedented intervention into the financial markets that included $700 billion in bailouts and a $787 billion stimulus package.

On August 7, the U.S. Treasury Department sent a letter to lawmakers warning them that another vote to raise the national debt ceiling was imminent. Since that time, the economy has improved somewhat. Lawmakers are hoping that this will allow them to put the vote off until later in the year and provide them with some political cover.

After the government claims of "recovery" this will not look good at all if they have to raise the debt ceiling

money.cnn.com...

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by KSPigpen

Everywhere I turn watching, hoping, and listening for good news, I keep hearing more and more bad news, no matter what it is, from city workers where I live, including both the Law Enforcement as well as City Managers, to Federal Programs, money is hemmorraging out of our Government's every orifice.

It is like someone stuck an enema up the Treasury Department...

People are being forced to take their vacation pay now and to work less and less hours, just to save the Federal, State, and local government money.

Talk about mismanagement of fiscal responsibilities.

High Court Will Decide Whether Strict Gun Laws Violate Second Amendment Rights

Interesting is it not that on the same day they try to pull this scam on America, it was a story from yesterday, that the pull this crap with stricter gun laws and the attacking of the Second Amendment.

Sure sounds like they are getting scared of us picking up our guns, in advance of their robbing us blind if you ask me, almost as if we should not have a reason to have our guns, because the last I remembered people usually shoot the robber.

In case anyone missed it I was using the robber and guns as a metaphor.

I was not calling for a rise to arms there nor will I because I see more issues coming along and as well legally we can take this country back.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Cue the buglar, lower the flag, stick a fork in here baby America is Done.

Wild ride we had here in the US.. To bad it had to end so soon.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by poedxsoldiervet

Cue the buglar, lower the flag, stick a fork in here baby America is Done.

Wild ride we had here in the US.. To bad it had to end so soon.

All I can see is more and more theft of our tax-money.

I posted a thread based on this already back when Bush was in office.

Political Collusion of a President and Congress in Collapsing America, The Fall of the New Rome

Bush started it, and Obama is finishing it, and apparently, finishing America off.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Interesting is it not, that Congress wants to raise the "debt ceiling", which is almost like getting our credit limit raised on our credit cards?

Last time I checked I sure thought we were supposed to become responsible citizens and not get into further debt, so why is Congress leading us by example to get into further debt, by "rasing the debt ceiling"?

Wow, how odd, leadership via example, teaching us to do something wrong...

Are You "Right-Wing Fringe", or "Left-Wing Fringe" and How Will They Push You

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   

or they can do what bush did, and just keep iraq and iran spending off budget....makes the numbers look better.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx

or they can do what bush did, and just keep iraq and iran spending off budget....makes the numbers look better.

Well, out-spending the Russian's sure worked to collapse their Government.

This was the C.I.A.'s big plan towards winning the race of Democracy verses Communism.

Out-spend everyone else and out-debt ourselves in order to collapse our own economy?

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   
America needs another war like a burn victim needs salt in his wounds.

I tell you, our own government is actually running to this nation to the ground.

Whatever genius told the government that spending is the way to recovery was either drunk or in anti depressive drugs the day they did the advise.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Let's face it, the majority of Americans care more about pop-culture than politics. Imagine if there were hundreds of celebrities calling for a march on Washington instead of the release of Polanski?

There should be a million man march on Washington, every day of the year, until they learn that they cannot ignore the will of the people they are supposed to represent.

Until we are willing to take this sort of action, we deserve what we are getting - another season of American Idol.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 10:18 AM
link   

I do not want to belive it that the Feds are pushing us into debt and a de facto 3rd world nation. But I can no longer dispute it something very sinster and evil if going to take place. I cant put my finger on it, but I just cant shake that feeling.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 10:22 AM
link   
I also wish that there were a huge movement to relocate all tent cities to DC.

No politician or lobbyist should be able to enter or exit DC without having to face masses of screaming and angry jobless and homeless.

I'm so ashamed of the reactionary nature of my people that it eats at me constantly. We are like a nation of spoiled royalty.

Everyone needs to get it through their heads that those that manipulate, use, and destroy us are anything but reactionary. They are the opposite, they are proactive, and proactive people can utterly own those that are reactionary. They know they can create huge problems without so much as a whimper, and then swoop in and provide whatever solution fits their agenda when the public finally reacts.

It's disgusting, and to me it proves that we unfortunately deserve what we get. The "Sleeping Giant" can boo-hoo all it wants when it gets stabbed in the heart, where was it when the sword was being cast and wielded?

[edit on 1-10-2009 by maus80]

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   
You call this Keynesian "deficit spending" (anti-cyclic spending) in times of a crisis with the hope of paying back the debts in boom times.

The world is yet to find a country, where this has actually happened.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   
The scary part is where they say this is only good for another month!!!

I haven't heard anything about this on the news (shocking).

So, basically the US Government is bankrupt without this being passed and even if it is we're only good for another month before they have to pass something else?

Um, this doesn't seem to bode to well unless I'm missing something here.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join