It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newsmax columnist: Military coup "to resolve the 'Obama problem' " is not "unrealistic"

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I'm not in favor of a coup at all and I probably want Obama out as much as anyone. But, there is a right way to go about things and a military coup isn't exactly a recipe for success. Now, an abuse of power impeachment trial is a whole other matter.....but I digress.

That being said, although I think the entire idea to be highly unlikely -- I have never seen such a huge divide between a Commander-in-Chief and military general (McCrystal). Of course, stranding our military over in Afganistan with no input from said Commander-in-Chief and not enough troops to actually win -- that right there would prevent any coup in my opinion.

Granted, we still have plenty of military left aside from what's stationed in Afganistan, But since most of the higher-ups are there, or completely entrenched with what's going on over there, any organized military coup seems extremely difficult.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I don't think the topic is how realistic is the idea, but the idea itself, of a military takeover. I really find it hard to believe that any of the military of high rank would involve themselves in a treasonous scheme like this. Few career officers could justify outright treason for any reason, let alone just because we have a Democrat in office. Most officers are much smarter than that,

[edit on 2-10-2009 by OldDragger]

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by lpowell0627

Any coup would be difficult while forces are deployed, but if the military fails its mission in Afghanistan due to lack of support it will have repercussions. The military unlike the masses will not forget or ignore 9-11. The military doesn't change out with each administration. The War on Terror has been part of military life now for 8 years. The conflict is so ingrained into military training, education and indoctrination that I have a really hard time thinking that the Pentagon will just accept failure and just quit. To fail and quit would dishonor all those who have died in the war and dishonor all of those who died on 9-11.

Many people forget that the Pentagon was attacked on 9-11. Alot good men and women of the US armed forces lost their lives that day. The military will not forget or dishonor them.

Again I am not advocating anything. I am just pointing out the facts.

People have to realize you just can't disconnect and disengage from a conflict that defines who you are and your way of life. All of those personnel, especially the brass, who are told they must fail and quit, will suddenly see their lives without purpose and meaning.

I don't know if thats enough to galavanize a coup, but it will make quite a few people at the Pentagon absolutely furious.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by OldDragger
The game has been rigged, people have been lied to and duped. THEY have committed treason by mocking and defying the constitution already. Gerrymandering has basically guaranteed continue employment for many of these career criminals so please, lets label the real traitors as such in this nightmare.

According to.... who? You?
Don't make me laugh. Please answer my questions.
Obama was lawfully elected. I heard the same crap when Bill Clinton was in office. Sorry chum, but your rationalization is BS, a fringe group of right wing nutcases have no right to take over ANYTHING. If they did so, they deserve execution, something I would activly work for myself.
The fact is what you endorse is completly un American and against every principle this nation was founded on, it is treason, no amount of your spin changes that. You have no respect AT ALL for The Constitution, ANSWER MY QUESTIONS! Enough BS!

I give you answers, you don't like them. You want to play that game, where in the constitution does it implicitly forbid military "coups"? What the constitution DOESN'T address, the blank slate that is sometimes there, is constantly used to abuse power. SO to save the constitution that void can be used in this case also

Maybe we need to play the political game of "semantics" Lets not call it a coup and see if you understand what I am saying.

When joining the military you swear an oath to DEFEND THE CONSTITUTION, not a president. So in this scenario that has been presented, this isn't a coup, it is the military honoring the oath they swore to uphold.....thus I stand by my argument which is also my answer, AGAIN, if the constitution is threatened then a military move to protect it is warranted.

What you are really arguing is that you don't see obama and the progressives as a threat to our country/constitution.

Our country was founded on armed revolt and breaking rules. When the lawfully elected official is the real usurper, the REAL threat to the constitution and everything America was, is, and should ever be, then some of the rules have already been changed and if the "lawful" course of actions cannot stop it then drastic measures become the only option, in any situation

[edit on 2-10-2009 by I_am_Spartacus]

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
The Pentagon has been furious with the White House many times before, and NOT just when Democrats have been in office.
So what! The Pentagon doesn't govern the country. Wouldn't any officer understand the chain of command and realize the President is the Commander in Chief? And don't they swear to defend The Constitution? A military takeover is OBVIOUSLY UNCONSTITUTIONAL and illegal.
And besides, what could justify a takeover anyway? Health care reform?
Please right wingnuts, get a life!

[edit on 2-10-2009 by OldDragger]

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Originally posted by I_am_Spartacus
"The military needs to step in and remove everyone from both houses, and the presidents office.

I can't believe there are actually people supporting the idea of a military coup to remove our democratically elected government.

"Elected" via Diebold machines after a 20-course meal of propaganda, propaganda and more propaganda? How about politicians that refuse to reveal background info? Is that ok with you?

Democratically elected my %$^%$.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   

In the United States our military is made up of some of the finest , most upstanding and most capable of its citizens. Any coup by the military in this country would be done by those I have MUCH more trust in to protect our constitution than those currently in power.

Very true if you discount those at the very top of the military.

The corrupt DO NOT control the military, at least not most of the minds of its members thus in our case tyranny would be prevented not implemented/strengthened by a military coup.

I disagree. The Joint Chiefs in the 1960's signed off on Operation Northwoods that would have used US assets for terror attacks on our own people. At least some of those at the top military ranks are aware or were involved in the 9/11 false flag operation.

Those soldiers in intimate contact with the political machine are as useless as the political machine itself. You can't pick up a turd by the clean end. It's way past time to flush the toilet and wash away this cancer.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by praxis

Many claimed the same about George Bush. Should we have overthrown him?
Who appointed you keeper of The Republic?
You guys don't have any clue whatsover, not the tiniest clue as to what America is all about.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by OldDragger

I'm not a right wing nut or even a member of the Republican party.

To truly understand my point about the fury that would result, one would have to of been in the military and deployed in the war on terror.

I have been serving now since 1999 and with deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan. 9-11 and the War on Terror represent something that is very hard to convey to civilians.

The fury that would result from being forced to fail and quit the war would be hard to compare anything to.

Even the Bay of Pigs fiasco with Kennedy wouldn't even come close. I can't think of any historical parallel.

Again I am not saying this would lead to a coup but it could lay the foundation for one.

If another massive terror attack on the scale of 9-11 followed in the wake of failing and quitting the War on Terror, then I would bet money something drastic would happen, especially if the attack involved the Shadow COG taking power. General Franks even implied the end of civilian government if another 9-11 scale attack occurred. I can easily imagine the Pentagon having problems recognizing the shadow COG and implenting their own provisional authority.

If something like a coup ever happened it would be seen as very last resort and would have justification in the eyes of the junta, who would see themselves as having no other option.

Personally I think a coup could destroy the country. It could turn out like the 1991 coup in the Soviet Union, which lead to secession of its member states. Oddly enough that coup also happened after its military was forced to fail and quit operations in Afghanistan.

I really don't want to see the US disintegrate like the USSR did. I would rather give the democratic processes a chance, the 2010 congressional elections and 2012 presidential elections.

Also understand that not all military coups are bad. The May 1958 Coup in France established the Fifth French Republic which has lasted to the present.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldDragger
reply to post by praxis

Many claimed the same about George Bush. Should we have overthrown him?
Who appointed you keeper of The Republic?
You guys don't have any clue whatsover, not the tiniest clue as to what America is all about.

Yes, Bush should have been removed, tried and put in prison. It's still not too late. Author and ex-prosecutor Vincent Bugliosi lays out the case with elegance.

Our founding fathers never intended for Central Banks, foreign PAC's, corporations, the military-industrial complex and absolutely corrupt politicians to steer and control America. These people are largely criminals.

I did my tours in the Vietnam-era. Don't presume you have the slightest clue about me.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by praxis

No that dubious "case" against Bush should be dropped,it's political witch hunting and attempted revenge by vengeful and hateful leftist democrats.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by BigDaveJr
reply to post by praxis

No that dubious "case" against Bush should be dropped,it's political witch hunting and attempted revenge by vengeful and hateful leftist democrats.

And it is also NOT HAPPENING!

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity

The people who see the reality aren't swayed by any of this. Never have been and never will be. But I have to say it's been shocking to watch. And again, I truly believe this is some sort of insanity...and it frightens me...as does the "news" and media coverage of this.

And what probably frightens me more is how the rest of the logical, reasonable majority stay silent for the most part. Wow. This article just blew me away, but some of the comments in this topic blew me away more.

Its people like you who obviously DON'T see the reality of what is REALLY happening yet think they do that frightens me.

People like you are how/why every tyrant/dictator and their inhumane regimes have been perpetrated on societies throughout history.

And yes bush set in place policies to help widen the path we are going down but now its all being accelerated, that is why so many people are now concerned. You can stop with "you let bush do it" , as most now realize he did not help the situation.

excuse me? wow you really projected what YOU wanted to say on me here. how very convenient for you that i happened to be here. way to totally miss the point. *holds up a mirror for ya to look in

[edit on 3-10-2009 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by BigDaveJr
reply to post by praxis

The case against bushco/cheney et al should only be dropped if you have given up on the American republic. Personally, I will volunteer to be the executioner if America ever grows a pair. These criminals need to be removed from our country. The biggest offenders are the bush clan.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by I_am_Spartacus

Oh yea, that's a BRILLIANT idea!

Let's have a military coup to overthrow the government, then expect them to just willingly give up their new found power and freely give the country back to the people. Just because you have ideological differences with the current administration. Just fantastic. That's just awesome logic.

Ask Libya how well that's working out.

[edit on 10/3/2009 by whatukno]

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join