It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do you believe???

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
up until about 7 years ago, I would salute Magpies, avoid cracks in the road and never cross on the stairs. I now realise that it's absolute nonsense and was making me look a fool, saluting a magpie?
As if this is going to make the slightest bit of difference to my day. I'm glad I've become more rational in my old age (well 30).

I appreciate your contributions, I really do!

I ask you this though, not in any harm though.

But do you ever sometimes, catch yourself falling back into those, habits?

Or getting a bit, even a tiny bit scared not to, and having to remind yourself, it's not!

Just wondering.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 06:47 AM
link   
I believe that consciousness spontaneously emerges as a result of evolution, and is a purely physical process arising from our brains.

I believe that the universe is teaming with life, but we are all too far apart in time or space to meet one another.

I believe that there are no gods at all. I do not hold a belief about the origin of the universe.

I believe that there are no events in the entire universe that cannot be understood by a scientific process.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by xelamental

I starred you for a good post, IMO albeit.

But, I have to ask, what does this have to do with superstitions

If you can add

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

very rarely now, i still don't really like crossing on stairs.I don't cause a scene if I have to cross the stairs or anything, just would rather not do it. apart from that i'm pretty normal

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08

I starred you for a good post, IMO albeit.

But, I have to ask, what does this have to do with superstitions

If you can add

That's as close as I come to superstition

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Well even the slightest superstition!

Even the cracks on a sidewalk, or on a black and white block on the hotel floor, I still find myself, only touch the white blocks, lol, just in case, even though I know it's ridiculous.Or for a pattern of black, then only white, then black then only white, and so on!

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr

very rarely now, i still don't really like crossing on stairs.I don't cause a scene if I have to cross the stairs or anything, just would rather not do it. apart from that i'm pretty normal

I'll check back to your previous post, what do you mean by cross stairs, will update if I find out

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Hmm... if you put a bird who has never been outside to feed on the floor, scatter some nuts around, it moves, eats, moves, eats and eventually, settles on a pattern which it then repeats. It's "dance pattern" doesn't make it any more likely to find food, but it allows the bird to automate it so it can concentrate on other things like predators.

I would call that a superstition, would you? In that case we are all superstitious.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Superstitions go way back. Your parents learned about them from their parents, and so on.

Do people really believe them, I guess so, but for me, I just find them interesting, like mythology.

The other day while leaving a restaurant in a downpoor, my husband started to open the umbrella before we stepped outside. I told him it was bad luck to do so, just to see his reaction.

He didn't say anything when I told him that, but other people in the restaurant started laughing.

Mostly, I think people find superstitions funny or curious without taking them seriously.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 07:08 AM
link   

As superstition, I meant, to presume, as ridiculous things.

Just tried to keep it simple, following the rules of KISS.

Such as a gambler buying a lottery ticket from me and winning, and thus force always buys tickets from me, in hopes he wins again, because I have become 'lucky' for him/her.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08

As superstition, I meant, to presume, as ridiculous things.

Just tried to keep it simple, following the rules of KISS.

Such as a gambler buying a lottery ticket from me and winning, and thus force always buys tickets from me, in hopes he wins again, because I have become 'lucky' for him/her.

You mean just birds dancing for seed

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Their, closer then the gamblers albeit!

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Ahh so you are talking about superstitions and traditions right?? I have my own little things I do myself that in my mind work, or so I think...

I always have to use the odd numbered pumps when getting gas and I usually use pump 3 and if its not available I use 7 or 1....Sounds weird I know but I have always done this. I blame my OCD lol..
Well at work it is considered bad luck to put your shoes on the counter before work...lol Yeah so when its bad we blame the ones who did this..lol

I have never heard of the lettuce in foil thing though...maybe I should try it

S&F Rep08

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I know some people who believe that giving trillions of dollars to banks will save the economy

Nice post - Star and flag.

PS
What happened to my toast and Curry?

Edit for layout

[edit on 1-10-2009 by Sundancer]

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Never break a blister before the sun goes down. If you do it will get sore. If you wait till after sundown it will not get sore. Trust me.....it works.

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Magantice

Never break a blister before the sun goes down. If you do it will get sore. If you wait till after sundown it will not get sore. Trust me.....it works.

Unfortunately, now that you consciously know it's a placebo, your subconscious will no longer block the pain for you

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

On the topic of magpies, you know the saying 'one for sorrow, two for joy'?

I still weirdly get a little bit annoyed when I see one, and feel like the day is gonna be ok when I see two!

An old childhood thing I've never been able to shake I guess. Hell, I like magpies anyway!

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 06:19 PM
link   
"Today, a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration – that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There's no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather."

-Bill Hicks

I love that line. As funny as it is, I believe there is a lot of truth in it.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by The Transhumanist

Yes! Yes!

Sadly, yet another dead hero, but one whose words echo around my brain every day.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I believe the 1 you CALL JESUS CHRIST IS THE SON OF THE TRUE GOD. And yes there may be space bugs and intelligent life that has taken advantage of those, JUST LIKE THEM BUT YOUNGER IN CREATION, BUT I dont consider any dying thing GODS THEY ARE SPECIES CREATED FROM THE SAME GOD AS HUMANS even if the DEVIL MADE THEM who WAS CREATED BY JESUS FATHER.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join