I started this thread to pass on an email I’d been sent, one I wished to share it with ATS.
ATS c3hamby brought to my attention some of the points in the original email were bogus. Thank you c3hamby.
Yet, even if some of the points are less than correct I truly believe using this as a template to discus how we can avoid rape situations is extremely
So, let’s use this forum to share tips and tactics to help to avoid a rape situation, and what to do if we find ourselves under attack.
Both topics are important for all of us on ATS, and not just the women.
Because there are Fathers and Grandfathers, Brothers, sons, husbands and partners - all who love the women in their life and don't want to see them
fall victim to rape.
So, I’ll present some points in the original email, some points to debate, and we can go from there.
First and foremost though.
The *Crying Baby* ploy was debunked as a myth.
Would be rapists using a recording of a baby crying to lure women outside their homes or into bushes, etc.
The horrid reality?
Now that the ploy has gone viral on the internet I've no doubt we'll be hearing this ploy used in rape (kidnap/theft) scenarios.
So, think of this thread as the ounce of prevention worth the pound of cure!
1) The first thing men look for in a potential victim is hairstyle.
Rape victims can be any age with any hair style, color, dress style, etc. There is no *template* for a rape victim - other than a woman who seems
vulnerable and is alone.
2) The second thing men look for is clothing.
Also not true.
Of course dressing promiscuously might be seen as *tempting* a would be rapist, but this is also a myth degrading, and absolutely false.
3) Rapists look for women on their cell phone, searching through their purse, or doing other activities while walking because they are off-guard and
can be easily overpowered.
While this is true, again, it’s not a constant, so, be aware of what you’re doing, and, if you can find a safer place to rummage about your purse,
or, do texting - wait until you’re secure.
4) Men are most likely to attack & rape in the early morning. Not true.
Rapes can happen any time, and any place. It’s shocking the number of times women are raped in their own homes, and by people they know.
5) Parking lots, parking garages and public bathrooms are all high risk areas.
6) The thing about these men is that they are looking to grab a woman and quickly move her to another location where they don't have to worry about
getting caught. So be careful not to take rides from strangers, or people who make you feel uneasy even if you know them.
7) There’s no way to know if a rapist is carrying a weapon until it’s too late. If your gut instinct says to fight, scream and fight for all
8) Scream FIRE! (not help) and RUN! RUN! RUN! whenever possible!
The best case scenario - you run away and get away!
If you're trapped - Fight, scratch, BITE, kick, and never ever give up.
Use anything you can get your hands on to fight.
Throw dirt in their face, urinate and defecate yourself if possible, whatever you can so, and make it count!
A point of concern.
Though it's known that fighting back might do more to inflame the rapist there's no way to know for sure, so, use your instincts and follow through
9) Keys are not a deterrent but in a pinch use your keys to strike, slash, and on the eyes! Also, carry your keys, at all times, like a weapon.
10) If someone is following behind you on a street or in a garage or with you in an elevator or stairwell move to a populated area as quickly as
possible and don't hesitate to scream or run if need be.
11) If someone is coming toward you, hold out your hands in front of you and yell STOP! or STAY BACK!
Don't bother warning them - if you have pepper pray - USE IT!
12) GO for the GROIN whenever possible.
Always be aware of your surroundings, take someone with you if you can and if you see any odd behavior, don't dismiss it, go with your instincts!!!
You may feel a little silly at the time, but you'd feel much worse if the guy really was trouble..
Tip: The elbow is the strongest point on your body. If you are close enough to use it, do!
~~~Scream FIRE! Not Rape - or - Help! Scream FIRE!
Also - If a robber asks for your wallet and/or purse, DO NOT HAND IT TO HIM! Toss it away from you
, this might give you a chance to run.
If you are ever thrown into the trunk of a car, kick out the back tail lights and stick your arm out the hole and start waving like crazy. The
driver won't see you, but everybody else will. This has saved lives.
(And I hope this is possible!)
A few notes about getting into your car in a parking lot or parking garage:
A.) Be aware: look around you, look into your car, at the passenger side floor, and in the back seat. As soon as you get in your car lock the doors
and leave the area.
If someone is in your car with a gun to your head keep your cool!
Begin to do as they say, to *drive off*.
Moments after, stomp on the breaks HARD to jar the would be attacker, then accelerate FAST and hit a light post, anything, quick!
Your Air Bag will save you. If the person is in the back seat they will get the worst of it. As soon as the car crashes bail out and run. It is
better than having them find your body in a remote location.
B.) If you are parked next to a big van, enter your car from the passenger door. Rapists are known to attack their victims by pulling them into their
vans while the women are attempting to get into their cars.
C.) Look at the car parked on the driver's side of your vehicle, and the passenger side. If a male is sitting alone in the seat nearest your car
walk back into a populated area and get a guard/policeman to walk you back out.
IT IS ALWAYS BETTER TO BE SAFE THAN SORRY. (And better paranoid than dead.)
* ALWAYS take the elevator instead of the stairs. (Stairwells are horrible places to be alone and the perfect crime spot. This is especially
true at NIGHT!)
* If the predator has a gun and you are not under his control, ALWAYS RUN! The predator will only hit you (a running target) 4 in 100 times. And
even then, it most likely WILL NOT be a vital organ. RUN, preferably in a zigzag pattern!
* As women, we are always trying to be sympathetic: STOP! It may get you raped or killed. Ted Bundy, the serial killer, was a good-looking
man who ALWAYS played on the sympathies of unsuspecting women. He walked with a cane, or a limp, and often asked 'for help' into his vehicle or
with his vehicle, which is when he abducted his next victim.
(Crying Baby Ploy)
* Recently it was reported a woman heard a crying baby on her porch, her instincts kicked in and she called the police because it was late and she
thought it was weird. The police told her 'Whatever you do, DO NOT open the door.'
* Please pass this on and DO NOT open the door for a crying baby! (My add to this: Or a crying puppy, or kitten!)
This should be taken seriously as even if the *Crying Baby* theory is an urban legend, now that it’s known, some would be rapist/kidnapper will
probably try to use the ruse to lure women.
Here's a hint my Grandmother would have told each Lady here.
As gross as it sounds, (and it's supposed to) - I was told by my Grandmother if I'm ever in a situation with a man and he will not listen to NO!
Pick your nose and stick your finger in your mouth.
For so many people this action will be so shocking, (they've been indoctrinated since children how filthy this habit is) the man will recoil and
you will loose your appeal as a target for the rapist.
Something else I'd like you to think over...
Get yourself to a handgun instructor.
Sign up for a handgun class.
Have your handgun instructor help you pick out a gun for your personal protection.
Apply for a carry/conceal license. When you're filling out the paperwork and need to write in an answer to *WHY* you want a license to conceal
Your answer: Because IT'S MY RIGHT.
Learn to become proficient with your handgun and make sure and practice as often as possible with your new best friend.
So, Do you have anything to add? Anything you found that works for you, or something helpful you’ve been taught? If so, please post it!
Stay SAFE All!
[edit on 1-10-2009 by silo13]